GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GC fans can't boost about the price now try and get a DVD player for £30 or £40 pounds"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/08/02 at 10:54
Regular
Well Well Sony and MS drop the price of there already very affordable machines this can only be a bad thing for GC as no-one can buy a GC and seperate DVD player for £159 or £169.

As I have stated countless times before the GC is cheap because it is a cheap piece of technology.

Facts

GC Xbox PS2

1.5 gig format 4.5gig dvd 4.5gig dvd

Dvd playback none Yes needs controller Yes out of the box

10 million 90 million 20 million
polys per second polys per second polys per second

Dolby 5.1 none Dolby 5.1 yes Dolby 5.1 yes

Serial ports USB, Opitical, ethernet USB, firewire,Optical

480 x 640 1172 x 800 at least 1172 x 800 at least

These are a few examples and just go to show why the GC is cheaper than the other two console because it's old hat technology, the one bit of modern technology is not worth having the custom 1.5 discs (Resi Evil on two disc so yesterday) are a waste of time and only designed so that Nintendo can charge the publishers more for custom tooling.
Thu 29/08/02 at 17:21
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Techno freak wrote:
> I suppose you can have up to 8 players on your GC then if you had a
> multitap that is.

---

No, but having 8 players on the PS2 will set you back around an extra £150 quid, as you have to pay for the 2 multitaps and the other 6-7 controllers.

:-P
Thu 29/08/02 at 16:54
"Darkness, always"
Dave RJR wrote:

> Well, I think you will find that DVD provides 500 lines compared with
> 250-260 on normal VHS. I think even SVHS is only around 400. Only
> D-VHS can better it at 515 lines - but then it’s still tape, and i
> don’t think an extra 15 lines will make a big difference. I certainly
> find DVD better quality than VHS.

My point is that it doesn't make MUCH difference on a TV set. I can certainlky tell the difference when looking via my monitor, but that sort of quality viewing isn't a PS2 standard, is it?

> Plus DVD's can offer DTS and Dolby
> Digital surround sound.

Maybe I'm just tone deaf, but the higher echelons of sound quality really don't seem to offer that much to be honest. As long as you can hear it properly, it's all good.

> My PS2 is now 18months old with no sign of
> stopping. There is a point about "combined" technology like
> VHS/DVD combo's. Such things are not popular. But with PS2, the main
> point is still games, but you also get a dvd player. It is not sold on
> the fact that it plays dvd movies.

1) 18 months (should) still be within warrantee.
2) you say that DVD isn't a main selling point, and yet has oft been Sonyphiles main argument against the GC. So what you are now saying is that it doesn't matter?

Either way. For anyone who owns a DVD, the most attractive console at the moment is probably not the PS2.
Thu 29/08/02 at 16:45
Regular
Mr Ripper wrote:
The excellent thing that such people completely forget is the issue of
> lastability. A dvd player will last you 10 years, if you treat it
> right. But that's because you'll only use it for a couple of hours a
> couple of days a week. If you're also using it for an additional 3-4
> hours every day for gaming, it'll wear out much much more quickly.
> Sure, it should survive it's warantee, but i doubt it'll go too much
> farther. Not well that I have pointed out several times the very real
> fact that the more a machine can do, the more can go wrong with it.
> Combined entertainment units are the future only for those who lack
> vision.
>
> A sart consumer may well decide to kill two birds with one stone, and
> save a few quid. The old "shave a corner, save a pound"
> principle. All well and good, but if the idea was so great, why do
> seperate dvd players as pricey as a PS2 still sell just as well,
> despite the fact that they can't play games?
>
> Worth thinking about, I'd wager.

And in the meantime, in this day and age, what great use is a DVD
> player anyway? Does it surpass the cinema experience? No. Is it vastly
> superior to VHS? Not really, superior yes, but not greatly so, so long
> as you still have to watch it on a TV screen who's resolution is
> laughably poor anyway. A DVD player gives you scene selection and a
> few extras which are usually screened on terrestrial anyway. Stop
> making such a big deal about it.

Well, I think you will find that DVD provides 500 lines compared with 250-260 on normal VHS. I think even SVHS is only around 400. Only D-VHS can better it at 515 lines - but then it’s still tape, and i don’t think an extra 15 lines will make a big difference. I certainly find DVD better quality than VHS. Plus DVD's can offer DTS and Dolby Digital surround sound. My PS2 is now 18months old with no sign of stopping. There is a point about "combined" technology like VHS/DVD combo's. Such things are not popular. But with PS2, the main point is still games, but you also get a dvd player. It is not sold on the fact that it plays dvd movies.
Thu 29/08/02 at 16:29
Regular
ave ia piece of this http://www.cube-europe.com(remove)/newsphp/news.php?id=1564
Thu 29/08/02 at 16:16
"Darkness, always"
Dave RJR wrote:

> Well Mr. Ripper,
> Not everyone has access to as many DVD players as your good self. Some
> still haven't got their first player. These might be thinking of
> getting a next gen games console, and to them if would be a good move
> to buy one with DVD movie playback - saves them also buying a player.

The excellent thing that such people completely forget is the issue of lastability. A dvd player will last you 10 years, if you treat it right. But that's because you'll only use it for a couple of hours a couple of days a week. If you're also using it for an additional 3-4 hours every day for gaming, it'll wear out much much more quickly. Sure, it should survive it's warantee, but i doubt it'll go too much farther. Not well that I have pointed out several times the very real fact that the more a machine can do, the more can go wrong with it. Combined entertainment units are the future only for those who lack vision.

A sart consumer may well decide to kill two birds with one stone, and save a few quid. The old "shave a corner, save a pound" principle. All well and good, but if the idea was so great, why do seperate dvd players as pricey as a PS2 still sell just as well, despite the fact that they can't play games?

Worth thinking about, I'd wager.

> Another issue, is that like most people have more than one tv in the
> house, why shouldn't we have more than one dvd player in the house? So
> it's very possible, that the "main" room and tv already has
> a standalone dvd player, but upstairs could be an old PS1 or similar
> for the kids which is due to be replaced. If they get a PS2, it will
> also play dvd's.

A decent enough point, but if you have enough disposable income to think about having multiple entertainment units to accomodate different rooms, the economy of buying a unit which does two jobs is not such a consideration.

> Finally, DVD will be common place and as standard as
> CD very soon. DVD won't be something people think about getting
> special - it will just be a standard and expected media form.

Perhaps. But firstly, it will take at least 5 years before this occurs. PS2s will have successors by then, supposing they haven't already been broken down by overuse. Anyone with half a mind to keep up with social and technological change will have a DVD player that is not a PS2.

In the end, you'll all have to buy a "proper" dvd player anyway, so it makes little difference that you have obtained one by the means you have.

And in the meantime, in this day and age, what great use is a DVD player anyway? Does it surpass the cinema experience? No. Is it vastly superior to VHS? Not really, superior yes, but not greatly so, so long as you still have to watch it on a TV screen who's resolution is laughably poor anyway. A DVD player gives you scene selection and a few extras which are usually screened on terrestrial anyway. Stop making such a big deal about it.
Thu 29/08/02 at 15:36
Regular
Strafex wrote:
> Newbies posting tech specs...
>
> They NEVER have a clue what they're on about...

Hes posted topics similar to this about the Xbox and GC.....
Thu 29/08/02 at 15:35
Regular
Newbies posting tech specs...

They NEVER have a clue what they're on about...
Thu 29/08/02 at 15:33
Regular
Yet another crappy fanboyish comment from Techno Freak.

The GC can reach up to 20,000,000 pps whilst the Xbox can reach up to 125,000,000.

Get your facts right before you say them.
Thu 29/08/02 at 15:30
Regular
no 16 if you have 3 of those links they have in japan.
Thu 29/08/02 at 15:26
Regular
NaS†Ÿ_Nêighßoû® wrote:
> Techno freak wrote:
> The thing is dvd is the standard not an extra as GC fans would like
> you to believe.
>
>
> And i suppose you would like me to believe that 4 controller slots
> arnt standard.
>
> Oh well 2 years old what do you expect.

I suppose you can have up to 8 players on your GC then if you had a multitap that is.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.