GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GC fans can't boost about the price now try and get a DVD player for £30 or £40 pounds"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/08/02 at 10:54
Regular
Well Well Sony and MS drop the price of there already very affordable machines this can only be a bad thing for GC as no-one can buy a GC and seperate DVD player for £159 or £169.

As I have stated countless times before the GC is cheap because it is a cheap piece of technology.

Facts

GC Xbox PS2

1.5 gig format 4.5gig dvd 4.5gig dvd

Dvd playback none Yes needs controller Yes out of the box

10 million 90 million 20 million
polys per second polys per second polys per second

Dolby 5.1 none Dolby 5.1 yes Dolby 5.1 yes

Serial ports USB, Opitical, ethernet USB, firewire,Optical

480 x 640 1172 x 800 at least 1172 x 800 at least

These are a few examples and just go to show why the GC is cheaper than the other two console because it's old hat technology, the one bit of modern technology is not worth having the custom 1.5 discs (Resi Evil on two disc so yesterday) are a waste of time and only designed so that Nintendo can charge the publishers more for custom tooling.
Thu 29/08/02 at 12:02
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
I have a gamecube and couldn't care less about dvd players, If a console washed the floor, done your homework and cleaned your room but had rubbish games, would it make it best??
No!
It's the gameplay that counts and gamecube has the best gameplay around.
So, itdoesn't play dvds but what it does offer is great games and entertainment.
That's the nintendo difference!
Thu 29/08/02 at 12:03
Regular
Its people who havent play amazing games that actually then have to throw out the old extras and things that dont matter to gaming in to the topic as they havent realised how good gaming can be.
Thu 29/08/02 at 12:04
Regular
NaS†Ÿ_Nêighßoû® wrote:
> let me just show you the image processing functions that GC can go,
> alo if you want new technology i hope you dont have a PS2 as its 2
> years dated and graphics and stuff changes fast in computer gaming.
>
> Fog,Subpixel anti-aniasing, 8 hardware lights, alpha blending, virtual
> texture design, multi-texturing, bump mapping, envoronment mapping,
> mip mapping, bilinear filtering, trilinear filtering, antisotropic
> filtering, real-time hardware texture decompression (S3TC), real-time
> decompression of display unit, HW 3-line deflickering filter.
>
> Plus i heard that one of those cant be used on PS2 becuase it uses
> the lens diffrently and DVDs wont work with it, something like that.
>
> Thats why Xbox has 2 Trays becuase then they can use it, i dont know i
> read it in a mag on laucnh day of the 2 new consoles.

All well and good, but why do the XBox games look almost identical to PS2 games. Reason, most are ports. Its the same images just converted to XBox format - and many dont launch until after the PS2 version.
Thu 29/08/02 at 12:04
Regular
Dave RJR wrote:
This is all "head in the sand" stuff.

No GAMES console, see that it plays games. Since when has a console needed DVD capabilities?

Oh I just got involved in this stupid argument, guys get your head out of your ar$es. No one cares about your stupid biased commentts. Everyone likes different consoles get over it...
Thu 29/08/02 at 12:05
Regular
"¬_¬"
The true facts, based on actual performance:

GC Xbox PS2

1.5 gig format ; 4.5gig dvd ; 4.5gig dvd

Dvd playback none ; Yes needs remote ; Yes out of the box

With graphical effects:

10-15 million ; 20 million ; Less than 5 million
polys per second ; polys per second ; polys per second

Dolby 5.1 with compatible games ; Dolby 5.1 with compatible games ; Dolby 5.1 NO

Resolution isn't even an argument because TV's can only do one resolution, 640 x 480. To get a higher resolution you either have to use one of those switch boxes to use your PC, use a projector or an HDTV. Even then, no console gives support.

As for 'cheap' technology, the PS2 is the cheapest console to make, yet Sony still charge the most for it. Talk about consumer friendliness :).
Thu 29/08/02 at 12:07
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> guys get your head out of your ar$es.

I can't bend that way!!
Thu 29/08/02 at 12:09
Regular
But don't you see, dvd is not an extra or gadget. It is a standard. Like when PS1 was cd. Since then nobody could imagine going back to carts or tape. And the same goes for DVD now.
Thu 29/08/02 at 12:10
Regular
"gsybe you!"
½pint wrote:
> > 10-15 million ;

and just to add more wood to the fire, the GC has reached 20 million, at least, and probably will more often too, as developers unlock more power.
Thu 29/08/02 at 12:12
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Dave RJR wrote:
> But don't you see, dvd is not an extra or gadget. It is a standard.
> Like when PS1 was cd. Since then nobody could imagine going back to
> carts or tape. And the same goes for DVD now.

So-

A)Cds are now totaly defunct?
B)The GC discs are actualy more future friendly than DVDs - these diddy discs are going to have movies on some time ni the future.
C)A standard like electric windows and a CD player? Shut up. They are just pointless gimmicks.
Thu 29/08/02 at 12:12
Regular
ok 1 last argument against PS2 then thats it for me, i think im just trying to prove to myself that PS2 is rubbish and Xbox and GC are better.

If it wasnt for PS2 all multi format games would be better as to go multi-format you need to use the console with the most amount of power, in this case PS2 and then GC and Xbox get rubbish games which dont sell,

thata it.

Every console has its ups and its downs, but all of which are put into the catagorie games consoles so i wish we would stick to that, games.

anyway how old are we all and what consoles do we own?*

age = 16 consoles = PS1, GC, N64, Xbox, GBA.

*yes im trying to change the subject.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.