GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GC fans can't boost about the price now try and get a DVD player for £30 or £40 pounds"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/08/02 at 10:54
Regular
Well Well Sony and MS drop the price of there already very affordable machines this can only be a bad thing for GC as no-one can buy a GC and seperate DVD player for £159 or £169.

As I have stated countless times before the GC is cheap because it is a cheap piece of technology.

Facts

GC Xbox PS2

1.5 gig format 4.5gig dvd 4.5gig dvd

Dvd playback none Yes needs controller Yes out of the box

10 million 90 million 20 million
polys per second polys per second polys per second

Dolby 5.1 none Dolby 5.1 yes Dolby 5.1 yes

Serial ports USB, Opitical, ethernet USB, firewire,Optical

480 x 640 1172 x 800 at least 1172 x 800 at least

These are a few examples and just go to show why the GC is cheaper than the other two console because it's old hat technology, the one bit of modern technology is not worth having the custom 1.5 discs (Resi Evil on two disc so yesterday) are a waste of time and only designed so that Nintendo can charge the publishers more for custom tooling.
Sat 31/08/02 at 13:53
Regular
is asher D the only one speaking sense.

From the twisted way hes put it accross i figure he means that all the consoles have good and bad points.

Or he genrally enjoys kicking himself in the groin.
Sat 31/08/02 at 11:56
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
SmokedKipper wrote:
> Sibs wrote:
> heh heh. *Rasies the fanboy alarm*
>
> For me? Why? I never said what I was a 'fan' of but I stand by my
> opinion that the PS2 makes a poor DVD player. Fortunately DVD playback
> is nothing more than an additional feature the console offers (some
> people seem to treat it as a reason to buy one alone).

I meant about the original post, not you... :-)
Sat 31/08/02 at 11:00
"High polygon count"
SmokedKipper wrote:
> Sony's own stand alone DVD players are generally quite good but I'd
> question the quality of yours (even at it's age) if you can't tell the
> difference between it and a PS2.

Question away, but the picture is crystal clear, and the PS2 isn't far behind - possibly a little duller, ubt that's abut it. A friend's just bought a new £350 Sharp player, and it doesn't compare to mine. I also know someone who actually sold his dedicated player after buying his PS2.

I don't claim that the PS2 is the best DVD player on the planet, but the fact is, unless you're a hi-fi/video buff who wants everything 'just so' and buys new equipment every couple of years, or gets the latest model because it has 1x more zoom or a better-looking remote control, a PS2 is a perfectly acceptable DVD player.

Having an R2-only dedicated player, I've only recently started using the PS2 DVD regularly as a player for R1 discs I've started buying, and I have no complaints whatsoever. I've no issues with the quality of the picture, nor have I experienced any lip-sync issues. But I do have the new drivers and remote.

I do know of some problems with certain discs. I have Farscape on DVD, and so far 2 discs have stopped playing mid-way through on my friends PS2 when he borrowed them. However, those discs also stopped on his parents dedicated player, while they play fine on mine - so make of that what you will!

It may not be a state-of-the-art player, and it may not be up to the exacting standards of the latest players - but what the hell do you expect for what is effectively a free DVD player?! :-)
Sat 31/08/02 at 10:30
"The Will of D."
Yeah they could just wait for their parents to get one on the computer or just for the TV, instead of paying £30s extra from the money they were to spend on a console they could afford another game.
Sat 31/08/02 at 09:51
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Sibs wrote:
> heh heh. *Rasies the fanboy alarm*

For me? Why? I never said what I was a 'fan' of but I stand by my opinion that the PS2 makes a poor DVD player. Fortunately DVD playback is nothing more than an additional feature the console offers (some people seem to treat it as a reason to buy one alone).
Fri 30/08/02 at 20:10
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
heh heh. *Rasies the fanboy alarm*
Fri 30/08/02 at 17:51
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:

> I've got a £750 dedicated player which is R2 only. I use my PS2
> with Region X for R1 discs, and the difference in quality is so small
> as to be irrelevant. Makes you wonder, actually, why people bother
> with expensive DVD players. :-) (My excuse is that I got my player
> before PS2 was available here!)

Sony's own stand alone DVD players are generally quite good but I'd question the quality of yours (even at it's age) if you can't tell the difference between it and a PS2. I have an LG 3350 and can't bear to watch a DVD on a PS2 because of the difference.

My player was cheap-ish to buy, multi-region from the remote (very important), a cheap looking design and came with a cheap, chunky remote but it uses a VERY good C-Cube MPEG decoder which is fast enough to decode the video/audio streams to very high quality and I've never seen a layer change on it (even when I've looked where it occurs - that being a large pause when the same disc is on a PS2).
Fri 30/08/02 at 16:46
Regular
XBox Rulz!
GC rulz!
PS2 rulz!
Kicking yourslelf in the groin rulz!

And so on.
Fri 30/08/02 at 14:19
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I was confused too, but I just ignored it and moved on. MAybe he was trying to say "we can beat all the n00bs with our huge XBOXs" or something.
Fri 30/08/02 at 14:17
Regular
GSmaster wrote:
> What do n00bs know. It would a great thing to bring down the Xbox with
> our own cds, but it would never completly wipe them out.

eh?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.