GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GC fans can't boost about the price now try and get a DVD player for £30 or £40 pounds"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/08/02 at 10:54
Regular
Well Well Sony and MS drop the price of there already very affordable machines this can only be a bad thing for GC as no-one can buy a GC and seperate DVD player for £159 or £169.

As I have stated countless times before the GC is cheap because it is a cheap piece of technology.

Facts

GC Xbox PS2

1.5 gig format 4.5gig dvd 4.5gig dvd

Dvd playback none Yes needs controller Yes out of the box

10 million 90 million 20 million
polys per second polys per second polys per second

Dolby 5.1 none Dolby 5.1 yes Dolby 5.1 yes

Serial ports USB, Opitical, ethernet USB, firewire,Optical

480 x 640 1172 x 800 at least 1172 x 800 at least

These are a few examples and just go to show why the GC is cheaper than the other two console because it's old hat technology, the one bit of modern technology is not worth having the custom 1.5 discs (Resi Evil on two disc so yesterday) are a waste of time and only designed so that Nintendo can charge the publishers more for custom tooling.
Thu 29/08/02 at 10:54
Regular
Well Well Sony and MS drop the price of there already very affordable machines this can only be a bad thing for GC as no-one can buy a GC and seperate DVD player for £159 or £169.

As I have stated countless times before the GC is cheap because it is a cheap piece of technology.

Facts

GC Xbox PS2

1.5 gig format 4.5gig dvd 4.5gig dvd

Dvd playback none Yes needs controller Yes out of the box

10 million 90 million 20 million
polys per second polys per second polys per second

Dolby 5.1 none Dolby 5.1 yes Dolby 5.1 yes

Serial ports USB, Opitical, ethernet USB, firewire,Optical

480 x 640 1172 x 800 at least 1172 x 800 at least

These are a few examples and just go to show why the GC is cheaper than the other two console because it's old hat technology, the one bit of modern technology is not worth having the custom 1.5 discs (Resi Evil on two disc so yesterday) are a waste of time and only designed so that Nintendo can charge the publishers more for custom tooling.
Thu 29/08/02 at 10:57
Regular
I have a PS2 and have used it before to watch DVDs, but 99.9% of the time I play games on it.

Sorry, but no-one gives a toss about GC not having a DVD player, you get quality games on a quality machine which costs less than it's opposition.
Thu 29/08/02 at 11:04
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
Well actually, the gamecube is cheaper for one reason only, no dvd.
But that's a good thing as normal people would buy a dvd player instead of player them on a console.
The gc is more powerful than the ps2 and when pushed to it's limits can reach xbox standards.
And it is not a cheap peice of technology.
It has the best games in the pipeline than any of the other home consoles.

There is another rumoured price drop from 130 to 100, but nintendo havn't confirmed this yet.
Of course i don't see a need for this price drop as gc is the best console out there and any die-hard gamer would buy a gc instead of one of these other "consoles"

And finally the smaller discs arn't to charge developers more for tools etc. they are to provent piracy, something that the playstation has enough of and something that xbox is bound to get.
Thu 29/08/02 at 11:10
Yes that's all very um...ur, technical, but I don't think it is the hardware/specs that make a good console. Surely it is all in the playing.

I wouldn't have thought that people who have a GameCube really care less about what the other consoles have got.

They chose G.C. because it gives good gameplay. If you could get that much fun out of a cardboard box I am sure it would outdo them all.
Thu 29/08/02 at 11:12
Regular
Asher D wrote:
> I have a PS2 and have used it before to watch DVDs, but 99.9% of the
> time I play games on it.
>
> Sorry, but no-one gives a toss about GC not having a DVD player, you
> get quality games on a quality machine which costs less than it's
> opposition.

The fact that DVD is included as standard with PS2 is an important factor for lots of PS2 customers. I know several people who specifically went for PS2 because of the DVD movie playback being built in as standard. Like the PS2, DVD movies are big right now. Even basic DVD players are shifting loads of units - this proves that dvd is a big issue for many people. Leading on from that, people might like the idea of having 2 dvd players in their house. One downstairs, one upstairs - wow what a novel idea. Beyond this, dvd is used for games. 4.25Gb on a basic dvd, or 8.5Gb on a single sided, dual layer disc. Compare this to just 1.5Gb on a custom gamecube disc. Sony have made a console for everyone, and it offers great value for money, and they were smart enough to use dvd as the consoles main media. Nintendo could learn a thing or 2.
Thu 29/08/02 at 11:14
Regular
Asher D wrote:
> I have a PS2 and have used it before to watch DVDs, but 99.9% of the
> time I play games on it.
>
> Sorry, but no-one gives a toss about GC not having a DVD player, you
> get quality games on a quality machine which costs less than it's
> opposition.

How can you say no-one gives a toss about DVD format only the biggest selling format in history and then there is the GC sales in it's native homeland Japan being outstripped by PS2 3 to 1, when ask what the public used there PS2 for over 50% said for watching movies.

As for quality games yet another plumber game how original. Then again there is always the next installment of Pokemon can't wait.
Thu 29/08/02 at 11:15
Regular
Try buying a console with super smash bros melee and super mario bros and resi evil 0.

Im fed up with people going on about dvds being played on console, is this becuase the games on the consoles are so rubbish you have nothing better to do?*

*note i dont think the games are rubbish which is why i hate people going on about DVDs as they should be going on about the games.
Its like buying a happy meal and leaving the burger and just playing with the little toy you get free, i dont have happy meals it wass just a good comaprison.
Thu 29/08/02 at 11:18
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
Techno freak wrote:
> As for quality games yet another plumber game how original. Then
> again there is always the next installment of Pokemon can't wait.

Ahh.
The last resort of a sad loser, to make fun of the games- couldn't come up with anything better??

And as for making fun of marios originality, at least there is something new in each of his games, unlike ff, talk about unoriginal.
Thu 29/08/02 at 11:20
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
Dave RJR wrote:
Leading on from that, people might
> like the idea of having 2 dvd players in their house. One downstairs,
> one upstairs - wow what a novel idea.

What's so novel??
I have a dvd player in my room, my sister has one and we have one downstairs!
Thu 29/08/02 at 11:23
Regular
NaS†Ÿ_Nêighßoû® wrote:
Its like buying a happy meal and leaving the burger and just playing
> with the little toy you get free, i dont have happy meals it wass just
> a good comaprison.

Get in the real world - people want dvd - big time! It would now be suicide to bring out a console without dvd. It's like saying you won't buy the new car because it's got a cd player and electric windows as standard. Well if the old tape and windup windows work - why change - I don't think so. The world has changed, and people want this new technology.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.