GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PlayStation"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/04/00 at 01:46
Regular
OK OK.... don't know if yo have noticed it but the PSX is one of the worst computers for build quality.

It may clearly be the BEST EVER for quality of games, but there is no point in all the games if the thing don't work.

From day 1 Sony have had to make constant changes to there little bundle of joy.

EVERY ONE i know with a playstation has had a least one problem with it. The common one being a piece of plastice flying off the middle.

By PSX does all of this, over heat, crash, bits of plastic braking off, works slow, can't read CD probley, etc. But the worst thing is i have NEVER cause any damage to the playstation or CDs. The only reason for these problems is cheap components.

Oh and guess what... I phoned up sony and they wanted £40 and my working (just) playstation for a recondintioned one, CHEEK, i could by a brand new one for £70 in specail reserve.

ANY WAY...all i really want is for sony to use better quality parts in the PSX2 'cause i am tired with th PSX being so cheap....

AND TO THE DELEVOPERS, good work keep it up y'all
Page:
Thu 01/06/00 at 15:34
When faced with the choice between An N64 with one game or a playstation with 5 games for my Birth day i hapily chose the N64.
Why? well the playstation only has half the specs of the N64 and most of its games dont even bear thinking about why do so many people buy the Greystation when there is a much better console which is cheaper to buy and has far superior games why why why. im not here to s**g of playstation owners i just dont under stand you
Wed 31/05/00 at 22:48
Many people are waiting for the Playstation 2 to be available for purchase while others may be waiting for the 'Dolphin' manufactured by Nintendo. But are we forgetting about old systems? I have recently received a PSX with four platinum games including GT, Metal Gear Solid, Time Crisis and Die Hard Trilogy. These are top quality games going for just twenty quid! Yet we are waiting for bigger and better games to come out while these games are no longer used. Why is this? These games are of the best quality and you won't find anything better than these. These are CLASSICS. Even Sony, who make the console, cannot see that people are content with the PSX so they are bringing out the PSX 2 with only a DVD drive showing a difference. You may well say that this is only a marketing ploy but why change to a Playstation 2 when your Playstation will still have games easily accessible whenever you desire them. It seems stupid to me that anyone can be so stupid as to lose money on a PSX 2 line when there is still so much to be done with the original version. The N64 has it's own memory expansion pak which allows better graphics on games. Can't this be done with any console? Why do companies constantly bring out their newest models when all their original needs is a simple facelift? To me this is absolutely ridiculous.
There may be many people who think that they are bored with their console and tell their parents to buy them a newer version console. I have to admit I do this too. But when I visited my friend's house and started to play on his machine, I loved it and it inspired me to buy a new Playstation of my own. When I found the box with it in, I must have sat there for two and half-hours waiting to open it because it was addressed to my mum. Another friend waits for the Playstation 2 to arrive in stores but I can't see the logic. What we have is a classic, brilliant model that people take for granted.
Companies shouldn't have to put their customers through forking out £100 or £200 for a new console, if the expansion is really needed, shouldn't we just get the new memory? The Playstation is a one-of-a-kind and should not be taken for granted. In ten years time, when you dig it out of the loft, you'll realise it's potential...mark my words!
Wed 31/05/00 at 16:27
Thats right why get a playstation why you can get better games and better graphics on a N64
Wed 31/05/00 at 16:25
I own a console other than a playstation and just whant to know why do playstations sell best they have the poorest graphics and only a couple of good games most ideas stolen from the N64 or other consoles your best game is Gran tourismo which takes so long to complete 100% of the game why bother trying when there are better games for better consoles.
Ok so playstation only has a few good games the rest are average or bad and has half the graphics of the N64.
i see why so dont buy dreamcast its to expensive but why not the n64 with clasic games like Goldeneye and Zelda and Mario64 and with a much better controler The playstation controler is absolutly Pre historic it is around the standerd of pervious Nintendo Consoles
and the colours of the playstation grey nd boxed shape?........
Wed 31/05/00 at 12:24
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I could not have put it better myself. At first I was a agains the PSX, thinking that Sony would rush into the games industry, with second class games, which made me by a Saturn, for the first couple of months, I felt I had made the right choise, but soon I relised the Saturn was going. Sony had done a great thing by getting developers behind them that Sega did with restrictions. Sony had a top class advertising group, and most important, more selection of games. I still think the Saturn games are good, I still have mine now, and, on the odd occation, play it. But aside from some of the tat that sony released, PSX games are getting better and better, I wanna get a PSX now, and plan on getting WWF Smackdown, wich looks and plays great. Hats of to Sony, shame about Sega, maybe they will learn this time round (I hope they do, as I have a Dreamcast too). Lets hope the UK PSX2 lives up the the expectations we want, as I plan on getting one soon after it is realeased, Games Movies Music all in one, Gotta be a hit.
Tue 30/05/00 at 23:06
Although there are a few original games made solely for the playstation, the main bulk of good games are from other formats, namely the PC. My theory is that when the playstation came out, the PC was not selling like it is know and though there were many top quality games out, people were not prepared to fork out over a grand to buy a PC to play them and so some bright spark realised why not relise them on a cheaper console at a cheaper price. Because the playstation was 'borrowing' these games people started to buy the console to keep up with the latest trend and this has introduced 'casual' gamers (those who play games to follow trends). It has hit the games industry a hard as the demand for games increase, the quality decreases and piracy hits new highs to meet demand at a smaller price. My advice, buy Nintendo,quality counts.
Mon 29/05/00 at 11:02
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I have to admit I have seen the ps2 boxes and they are excellent! they won't break unless you really mean to break them! they are made out of this bendy plastic stuff! and every box includes a small memory card for that perticular game! what an excellent idea! no erasing needed anymore huh?
Sun 28/05/00 at 18:33
I dont know if anyone noticed, but why are psx boxes so crap? I try my best to look after my boxes but they always seem break some how. Why is it that they are made in such a large size? Half the space in the box isnt even used up and so are very easy to break. they dont even fit in any cd rack. Have you ever seen the boxes they use in the u.s.? well they are just like Music or P.c. cd boxes. Compact and easy to store. and the ones i have from the U.S. havnt broken yet. So whats up? why do we have to put up with crappy psx boxes which break? Hopefully the psx 2 boxes will be better as i wouldnt be able to stand somthing as fragile as we have at the moment. Lets just hope ey?
Sat 27/05/00 at 22:09
Well the Playstation is probably pretty much past it - with the Dolphin, X-Box and PSX2 on the way, and the Dreamcast already here, sales will drop off and even with backwards compatbility soon no-one will want to buy PSX games anymore. But why has it lasted so long? I remember I once saw a piece on television a year after the release of the PSX about how kids' christmas presents were too expensive. We had Mrs. Whiney complaining that she had just bought a Sega Saturn and that the year before she had bought a master system, and that the consoles were replacing one another too quickly. Mr. Sony Representative agreed with her, but then said that had she bought a PSX that it would last a helluva lot longer than the Saturn. And, even only one year after its release, he was obviously right.

So why did the Saturn collapse quicker than a collapsible sofa bed, and the PSX last until now? For several reasons.

Firstly, and most importantly, they let as many developers as possible in on their technology, so that they could have as many games developed for the PSX as possible. They didn't build an iron curtain around their precious machine, as Sega did with the Saturn and Nintendo did with the N64. A reasoning for this is that they had never made games before, so they got as many expereinced people to do all their dirty work for them, and then take some of the juicy cash. Win-win situation. Masterful.

Secondly (minor point), they used CDs not cartridges. This allowed lovely streamed FMV and music like never seen before. But also, the cartridge appeared 'geeky' and childish to the average 20-something person - they didn't want to get involved with something which would lose them their credibility - the CD, however, was already used widely for playing the latest tunes full blast on their state-of-the-art hifi. Give it a sleek black look, and suddenly it becomes an object of desire.

Thirdly, they marketed it to the young male instead of mainly at children - e.g. putting it in clubs, releasing WipEout with a top notch dance soundtrack - and this target audience has more spending power and is larger. Despite the fact that any PSX magazine then became laden with semi-naked women, this was an excellent decision.

Finally, they made the technology good enough to produce games such as Metal Gear Solid which looked good even four years down the line.

And there you have it. A gem of a machine, which I now have to go and play on. Au revoir.
Fri 26/05/00 at 20:40
Many people are waiting for the Playstation 2 to be available for purchase while others may be waiting for the 'Dolphin' manufactured by Nintendo. But are we forgetting about old systems? I have recently received a PSX with four platinum games including GT, Metal Gear Solid, Time Crisis and Die Hard Trilogy. These are top quality games going for just twenty quid! Yet we are waiting for bigger and better games to come out while these games are no longer used. Why is this? These games are of the best quality and you won't find anything better than these. These are CLASSICS. Even Sony, who make the console, cannot see that people are content with the PSX so they are bringing out the PSX 2 with only a DVD drive showing a difference. You may well say that this is only a marketing ploy but why change to a Playstation 2 when your Playstation will still have games easily accessible whenever you desire them. It seems stupid to me that anyone can be so stupid as to lose money on a PSX 2 line when there is still so much to be done with the original version. The N64 has it's own memory expansion pak which allows better graphics on games. Can't this be done with any console? Why do companies constantly bring out their newest models when all their original needs is a simple facelift? To me this is absolutely ridiculous.
There may be many people who think that they are bored with their console and tell their parents to buy them a newer version console. I have to admit I do this too. But when I visited my friend's house and started to play on his machine, I loved it and it inspired me to buy a new Playstation of my own. When I found the box with it in, I must have sat there for two and half-hours waiting to open it because it was addressed to my mum. Another friend waits for the Playstation 2 to arrive in stores but I can't see the logic. What we have is a classic, brilliant model that people take for granted.
Companies shouldn't have to put their customers through forking out £100 or £200 for a new console, if the expansion is really needed, shouldn't we just get the new memory? The Playstation is a one-of-a-kind and should not be taken for granted. In ten years time, when you dig it out of the loft, you'll realise it's potential...mark my words!

Thanks for reading!

Chris Parsons
[email protected]
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.