GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PlayStation"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/04/00 at 01:46
Regular
OK OK.... don't know if yo have noticed it but the PSX is one of the worst computers for build quality.

It may clearly be the BEST EVER for quality of games, but there is no point in all the games if the thing don't work.

From day 1 Sony have had to make constant changes to there little bundle of joy.

EVERY ONE i know with a playstation has had a least one problem with it. The common one being a piece of plastice flying off the middle.

By PSX does all of this, over heat, crash, bits of plastic braking off, works slow, can't read CD probley, etc. But the worst thing is i have NEVER cause any damage to the playstation or CDs. The only reason for these problems is cheap components.

Oh and guess what... I phoned up sony and they wanted £40 and my working (just) playstation for a recondintioned one, CHEEK, i could by a brand new one for £70 in specail reserve.

ANY WAY...all i really want is for sony to use better quality parts in the PSX2 'cause i am tired with th PSX being so cheap....

AND TO THE DELEVOPERS, good work keep it up y'all
Page:
Sun 04/06/00 at 10:02
A lot of gamers Looked closely at Final Fantasy 8 -- after all, it's the next episode in the never ending Final Fantasy series and the follow-up to one of the best selling Playstation games ever. And while the hyped-up Final Fantasy 7 wasn't perfect, it does have the distinction of bringing RPGs into the mainstream. Most people will be jumping to 8 simply out of their love for 7. But will it be worth it? I'd have to say yes.

Squall Leonhart is a student at the elite military school, Garden. At Garden, students are trained to become SeeDs, mercenary soldiers of the highest caliber. SeeDs are hired and sent out to extinguish problems throughout the world.

Across the ocean lies the country Galbadia -- a nation ruled by an evil dictator with dreams of world conquest (has there ever been a GOOD dictator?). To subjugate the planet, Galbadia has enlisted the aid of Edea, a mysterious sorceress. Sorceresses have been the subject of legends, and were long thought to have been gone from the earth.

The theme of the game is love -- just look at the couple (Squall and Rinoa, the heroine) hugging behind the FF8 logo. Awww, isn't that cuuute? Sarcasm aside, the storyline is actually the brightest part of the game. There are some slow parts in the middle, but just when you almost start to lose interest, things pick up again. Frankly, you don't even have to play the game to know that love will win out in some way...very 'Hollywood.' But it is the way in which they tell the story that sets it apart from being just some teen-angst drama. Even for a cynic like me, there were moments that made me put down my controller and think. Now that is a game with power.

For those of you who are less concerned with the plot, let's get straight to the combat. The battle system is set up by junctioning "Guardian Forces" to your characters. These Guardian Forces, or GF's, are creatures that srengthen your character for battle. After being junctioned, your character will inherit the GF's abilities and magic junction powers. Bye-bye materia, hello new complicated system..

Initially, the only ability your character will have is "attack". After you junction to a GF, your character will be able to fill up 3 active abilities, as well as inactive abilities. Having only 3 slots gives a good "check and balance" feature to setting up your character. Most GF's will immediately offer you the following active abilities: magic, item, GF (a.k.a. to summon the GF), and draw. More abilties open up as your GF's level increases. Inactive abilities are also earned and include such things as "HP increase by 80%" or "automatic haste."

Magic is done with a "draw" method rather than the familiar magic points meter. When you "draw" against an enemy, you take one of your enemy's spells. These spells can then be cast using the magic ability or they can be "junctioned" to certain character statistics.

Confused? Let's say you've drawn 31 cures and your GF has the ability to junction magic to HP. By junctioning your cures to the HP, your HP can be raised. Different GF's have different magic junctions: some can junction spells to your vitality, others to your Elemental defense. It allows you to customize and greatly strengthen your character.

The downside of the draw system is that in order to really "strengthen" your character, you need to draw all of the important spells to the max (100). That can get… well, boring. There aren't any armor upgrades, and weapon upgrades are a minor aspect in the game. So it's all about junctioning magic. I think even the most battle hardened of RPGers will get tired of drawing spells from some weakling enemy that's barely fighting back. The last area in the game is really nothing more than an easy chance to max out all your spells. It would have been better if spells were harder to accumulate and enemies didn't have unlimited spells to draw.

Much like FF7, the graphics push the envelope of the Playstation hardware, but at the same time illustrate the limitations of the system. What really makes the graphics impressive is how the character designs stay consistent throughout. From battle to video to just walking around, there's none of that wacky, super-anime deformity of FF7. This consistency helps to keep the story flowing smoothly. Unfortunately, sometimes the backgrounds of the battles have a pixelated look.

Of course, it wouldn't be a Square game without overblown, glorified videos. The transition from gameplay to video is truly impressive and seamless.

Musically, there are only a few tracks that really stand out. The other songs have a looped, empty feel. Th best musical piece in the game is "Eyes on Me", sung by Hong Kong popstar Faye Wong. It's a cliched, but beautiful love song. A clever trick in the game is how they work the melody of the song into key moments, so that when you get to the lyrical version, the song carries a lot more meaning. Faye Wong is one hell of a singer, and if you ever get the chance, try finding some of her other work.

Now for the complaining... Why aren't there any voices? If you really want to read, go buy a book. A voice carries so much feeling and character. There is something sorely missing when I can't hear Rinoa talk. So what if it would've taken 8 disks and cost more? It would have upped the immersion level dramtically. I really hope that this is the last "silent" Final Fantasy.

Final Fantasy 8 is a great game, but not a perfect one. The battles and junction system have their flaws. At times you'll be too powerful; at other times, you'll just be drawing spells to gain strength. But the long ending that waits in store will make up for most of the negatives. Overall, it plays and feels like a fleshed out Final Fantasy 7. While one can find similarities between the two in characters and ideas, you can really see how things really come together in number 8.
Sun 04/06/00 at 00:52
SONY DONT THINK THEY KNOW PEOPLE WILL BUY THIER CONSOLE.THERES AN OLD SAYING YOU CAN FOOL SOME OF THE PEOPLE ALL OF THE TIME BUT YOU CANT FOOL ALL OF THE PEOPLE ALL OF THE TIME 55 MILLION SALES CANT BE FOOLING PEOPLE CAN IT HEY I GOT 2.AS FOR POOR GAMES WELL YOUVE OBVIOUSLY GOT A PLAYSTATION SO TRY SOME RUBBISH IVE BEEN PLAYING METAL GEAR,SYPHON FILTER 1&2,RESIDENT EVIL 1,2&3 DRIVER & DINO CRISIS. ANYWAY YES PSX 2 WILL BE HERE IN OCTOBER I BET YOU WONT BE BUYING THAT WILL GOOD FOR YOU DONT WANNA BE A HYPOCRITE DO YOU ?.
Sat 03/06/00 at 21:56
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
this game is a good laugh, it's on the ps but that's no reason not to try it out, play as beatbox on the half pipe dream, wow I love this game, play against a mate!
Sat 03/06/00 at 17:54
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
this is a disscussion room, you disscuss things in here!
I like the grey box you call a Greystation, and yes it does have it's good points, but there aren't many,
it's cheaper than a PC but you can get the same games, and you can play spice girls on it! woohoo
"who do you think you are?"
"some kind of superstar?"
otherwise I think they are just grey boxes and every single one should be burnt/melted before the strange and contageous DUMITUS (diese of the brain, this makes you think that the ps is better than all other consoles, esspeciall the N64)will effect all people that play on it.
be warned if you buy a playstation or have bought one, I fear it is too late, you should be locked up in a assilum.
Sat 03/06/00 at 17:44
Everyone who has replied to my previous message has written 'all fromats have their good points....Tekken 3 is a good game on the Greystation...'. I've played Tekken 3 over my friends house and it's very easy especially if use a character called Yoshimitsu. Anyway, I haven't noticed any good things about a grey box. The PC has much more than a greystation and even has replica controllers of many different consoles. Someone actually comment on what I've written please and stop using the defensive sentance "It still has it's good points" for as far as I'm concerned...It doesn't!
Sat 03/06/00 at 12:04
Damn right breaking and entering is fun.
wait i'v said to much.
Anyway wake up and Buy and N64 or perhaps you could steal it I dont care just do it and throw the phony greystation out for good.
Muahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahah
Fri 02/06/00 at 20:20
Why did you stupid people buy a playstation when a) It has bad graphics b) it has bad games and c) some people say 'Getting it chipped for cheap games is cool' but really its breaking the law. if you really want to break the law why don't you go toyour local electronics store at night with a catburgler suit on and steal VCR'S and TV'S and its a hell of a lot more fun than playing ilegal playstation games.

(NOTE: Do not actually brerak into a store just buy an N64 and be happy)
Fri 02/06/00 at 09:57
SPECIAL RESERVE ARE STILL OFFERING A GAME OF YOUR CHOICE EVERY SINGLE DAY! JUST SUBMIT A FANTASTIC DISCUSSION POINT, OR WRITE AN INCISIVE REVIEW ON WHATEVER GAME YOU WANT - PERHAPS YOU WANT TO ENTER A BRILLIANT NEW CHEAT AT UKCHEATS.COM. IF YOU ARE LUCKY, YOURS WILL BE PICKED AS THE WINNER, AND WE WILL SEND YOU ANY GAME YOU WANT! YOU CAN EVEN CHOOSE A GAME THAT HASN'T BEEN RELEASED YET, AND WE WILL SEND IT TO YOU. VISIT GAMEADAY.CO.UK TO SEE THE MASSIVE LIST OF PREVIOUS WINNERS.

WE WANT MORE DISCUSSIONS, MORE REVIEWS AND MORE CHEATS! IF THERE IS NO DISCUSSION FORUM FOR WHAT YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT, THEN YOU CAN CREATE ONE! RIGHT NOW, WE'RE LOOKING FOR GROUP DISCUSSIONS - MAYBE ON CLASSIC GAMES, AND THE HISTORY OF GAMING. REMEMBER THE GOOD OLD DAYS? IS THERE A GAME THAT YOU USED TO LOVE THAT YOU WANT TO REMINISCE - CAN YOU EVER REMEMBER IT'S NAME? WELL ASK SOMEONE, AND MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE WILL FILL YOU IN ON THE BLANKS. SO COME ON, SUBMIT ANYTHING TODAY, AND IT COULD BE YOU WITH A BRAND NEW GAME ON YOUR DOORSTEP - COURTESY OF UKGAMES.COM AND SPECIAL RESERVE.
Thu 01/06/00 at 21:19
Why is it always those sad playstation game designers who have no ideas for games that go and make a game to go with a movie. Nearly all the disney movies are depicted in playstation games. Can't the designers think their own original ideas up for a game or is it just impossible for them to do this. Yes there are some good games for the playstation but most of them are pretty c##p. The blokes who design playstation games can NEVER SEEM TO COME UP WITH GOOD IDEAS. Hopefully they will recruit new designers for the playstation 2 games (or give the current designers brain transplants with Nintendo game designers brains). What is the point in realeasing a new console when most of the games are now worthy to be realeased!
Thu 01/06/00 at 15:40
Why do sony think that people will buy their stupid, old, useless console it has no good games not one only wrestling games and stupid racers like Gran Turismo why do you buy all of these pointless games when you could buy a new game for the N64 like Goldeneye or Zelda both brilliant works of gaming masterpiece yet you settle for second best the dreamcast has four times better graphics and the N64 has twice as good why bother with such rubbish.
The playstation2 will have Dreamcast specs and the Dolphin will be twice as good again why why why why why why why why
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.