GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"CSS help"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/06/06 at 22:25
Regular
Okay I'm having a CSS problem with my site, I have a bar with links in "block", at the moment the blocks are aligned on the left. How do I go about centering them in the middle?

Thanks in advanced :)

#block {
float:left;
clear:both;
background-color: #DEDECE;
width: 768px;
height:26px;
border-left: #A5A5A5 solid 1px;
border-right: #A5A5A5 solid 1px;
border-bottom: #A5A5A5 solid 1px;
}

#block a {
text-align: center;
width: 90px;
text-decoration: none;
line-height: 26px;
display: block;
float: left;
}

#block a:hover {
text-decoration: underline;
}

#block span {
float: left;
line-height: 25px;
}

<div id="block">
<a href="test.html" class="pagelink">Page1</a><span>|</span>
<a href="test.html" class="pagelink">Page2</a><span>|</span>
<a href="test.html" class="pagelink">Page3</a><span>|</span>
<a href="test.html" class="pagelink">Page4</a>
</div>

Thu 10/08/06 at 12:13
Regular
Okay here's some information about subdomains

They can be useful or in my case, very useful for what I'm doing. Unless I want to have domains like learning-japanese.com and have that point to learn-thelanguage.com/japanese.

Is it a good idea to buy different domains and point them like this? I mean I might consider that for the more popular languages/topics but not if it'll work against me. Suggestions?
Thu 10/08/06 at 12:04
Regular
cjh wrote:
> Machie wrote:
> I think I read about it somewhere, I guess some further
> investigating is needed :)
>
> Just to clarify, when you say would be more visible than,
> do you mean more visible to the search engine bot, or the
> person viewing the results page??

Perhaps both, I mean sometimes I look at the subdomains in search engines so I might be tempted more with japanese.learn-the-language.com than a ...language.com/japanese

But I think or thought that it might have some affect on search engines. That they would be able to pick up the subdomains more than a folder name.

I've just been throwing some stuff in the skip so I didn't get to do any research, I'll do it now.
Thu 10/08/06 at 12:01
Regular
Hmmm don't apologise :) you've done nothing wrong only point out some things I've not been aware and offering me valuable information which I'm very thankful for. Okay let me think about this clearly.

1. I thought my website was hosted in the UK but Hmmm said I wasn't, unfortunately this means it is unlikely I'll be found on UK only searches. Which is bad because I miss out on getting more visitors.

2. Moving host is a possibility, I was planning to upgrade my hosting package with that company. It would involve cancelling my other contract and making another contract. However my concerns with this is the transferring of my domain names, the refund of my previous contract and finding a new host who is inside the UK and provides everything I need. If you can help me with finding a new host, please could you add me to MSN or email me at markybaby13 at hotmail (heh sorry I registered it 10 years ago when I was 16).

> NB. I see you also mention sending out 10,000 emails regularly.
> I think you may find this is a bit OTT for a lot of providers
> 'fair use policies', so this is something else you will need to
> check.

I know my site will gradually eat up bandwidth so I need to find a host that will offer me the chance to increase this without shutting off my site. What do you mean by fair use policies? Sorry I've not really looked into mailing lists so I'm not even sure about how I would even go about sending 10,000 emails a month. All I know is I need to be able to do that should it become that popular. Perhaps I should have asked my girlfriend about her 1000 subscribers.
Thu 10/08/06 at 11:17
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Machie wrote:
> I think I read about it somewhere, I guess some further
> investigating is needed :)

Just to clarify, when you say would be more visible than, do you mean more visible to the search engine bot, or the person viewing the results page??
Thu 10/08/06 at 11:02
"Are you sure?"
Sorry Machie I thought you were more aware of Freeola's services as you're on here so much and used to use them as your host in the past. The situation regarding FTP access only via a Freeola connection hasn't changed since you were last here.

The only change I'm aware of is the introduction of Freeola Freedom. Did you follow CJH's link to the Freedom package which could be just right for you?

I don't believe Freeola do provide subdomains. You may be better off asking directly as CJH mentioned. Again use the link he provided. As this thread has gone all over the show, Freeola staff may not be following it too closely.

When you asnswered:
"Yeah I have 3 domains at the moment, no content on any, unless you want to include the turn results from the Quest game :) I didn't go with Freeola as I needed something bigger. I'm upgrading soon, so those 300 subdomains will come in handy."

...to my query about why you don't use Freeola, I didn't argue as you seemed to know what you were saying regarding scale and subdomains!

It may have helped if you had layed out your plans/requirements a bit clearer.
This is the impression I had:
You own myanimeguide.com, which is hosted with a company that allows you to have 300 subdomains - which you require. I then got the impression you were going to use that for a large project. I suggested that the co.uk version (using Freeola) could be worth considering to give you a 'UK' presence etc.

Then you registered some domains - but not the myanimeguide one we were talking about???

If you would like some more advice (though perhaps you've had enaough of mine!) about your options for your proposed project, then if you could say what your specific requirements are perhaps people reading this will be able to help you more accurately.

NB. I see you also mention sending out 10,000 emails regularly. I think you may find this is a bit OTT for a lot of providers 'fair use policies', so this is something else you will need to check.

Hope this helps...
Thu 10/08/06 at 10:57
Regular
cjh wrote:
> japanese.learn-the-language.co.uk
>
> would be more visible than
>
> learn-the-language.co.uk/japanese
>
> What makes you think this is the case?
>
> I have no evidence that you're incorrect, but at the same time,
> none that you are :)

I think I read about it somewhere, I guess some further investigating is needed :)
Thu 10/08/06 at 10:46
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Machie wrote:
> The reason why I would like subdomains is that should anyone
> search for UK only in SE. Then a;
>
> japanese.learn-the-language.co.uk
>
> would be more visible than
>
> learn-the-language.co.uk/japanese

What makes you think this is the case?

I have no evidence that you're incorrect, but at the same time, none that you are :)
Thu 10/08/06 at 10:42
Regular
cjh wrote:
> But, that aside, I've had a domain with Freeola since 1999, and
> have never had any real problems with them. They offer email
> services with your domain (so you can do,
> [email protected], [email protected], etc)
> and the web site has never been down (as far as I can tell).
>
> Also, (this is a personal opinion here) I think sub-domains are
> over-rated. The world seems to advertises their sites as
> domain.com with sections being
> domain.com/something and I think you'd be better of using
> that instead of sub-domains (thatdomainyoubought DOT com SLASH
> french
sounds better than french DOT thatdomainyoubought
> DOT com
). Again though, that is my personal preference.

Yeah I know Freeola are great and if I wasn't needed subdomains then everything would be fine :)

The reason why I would like subdomains is that should anyone search for UK only in SE. Then a;

japanese.learn-the-language.co.uk

would be more visible than

learn-the-language.co.uk/japanese

I'm no expert on keywords and search engines mind. Perhaps I'll go read up on subdomains again to see how useful they are or arent
Thu 10/08/06 at 10:38
Regular
No I didn't include a modem when I built this PC, only have this fragile modem that Biggles helped me buy, but the settings are all messed up and I fear changing anything would result in me not being able to access the internet at all :(

[U]Question For Freeola Staffies[/U] - I'm sorry about all this but just to make sure, do you offer subdomains? Thank you.
Thu 10/08/06 at 10:30
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I'm not sure about the sub-domain thing, you might want to ask them.

As for the uploading, do you still have a dial-up modem in your PC? If so, you can sign-up for a pay as you go account, and upload what you need as and when you need to, paying only for the local call rate (it's what I do).

Looking at the GetDotted web site though, it does quote:

"Free hosting offer available to UK residents only and subject to terms and conditions and a Freeola connection to the internet (you can choose from our Pay As You Go or Anytime dial-up connection or high-speed broadband options)".

... so I don't think you'll be able to say they (Freeola) didn't present the requirement, nor do they state they support / offer sub-domains, sorry.

(though Freeola, you may want to add "or the Freeola Web Freedom package" in the above).

But, that aside, I've had a domain with Freeola since 1999, and have never had any real problems with them. They offer email services with your domain (so you can do, [email protected], [email protected], etc) and the web site has never been down (as far as I can tell).

Also, (this is a personal opinion here) I think sub-domains are over-rated. The world seems to advertises their sites as domain.com with sections being domain.com/something and I think you'd be better of using that instead of sub-domains (thatdomainyoubought DOT com SLASH french sounds better than french DOT thatdomainyoubought DOT com). Again though, that is my personal preference.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.