GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Time For Another Console Debate Perhaps....."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/06/01 at 10:36
Regular
Okay, many people have said that 'console wars' is old, but, it creates the best topics as well!!

So, I would just like perhaps like to start another one. Post your arguments on here about why you think your chosen console or consoles, will win the console wars.

I'll post mine later, so get arguing!

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Sat 16/06/01 at 18:17
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
As Nintendo and Sony are not in a “war” together, I do not think that this topic should be about wars, just a good old discussion about what console looks the most promising. Just to clear this up, there is no right or wrong answer as it is all down to personal opinion, and I will give you a quick run through of mine.

You get the mature gamers who are honest enough to say that the console they don’t really like has got good games out for it at the moment. That goes to show they are not ashamed of their console, and just say if they are a Nintendo “fan”, surely they can be mature enough to admit that the PS2 is doing okay and vice versa.

So, some people’s opinion of the PS2 is that they don’t like it too much. Correct? OK, then don’t purchase it then. Not everyone will agree with me when I say that the PS2 is a great games console, which has great games out now, and has a very promising future ahead of it.

People make the comment that the PS2 is just a PSX, and in a sense it’s PARTLY true because it plays the PSX games, which is a massive bonus. However, you can’t be serious in saying that the PS2 is not better than the PSX. It is. The PSX is and will be a great console for a long time but the PS2 is a newer version of it. Personally I enjoy the PS2 more, but that is just because it is the new technology and it is an exciting new console.

Some people are willing to shell out £300 because they actually like the console. And I don’t blame them. It’s their money and they can do what they want with it. And what is just sooo bad with the PS2 that makes it so bad? Heh, you must admit, quite a lot of people hold something or other against it.
I don’t see why some people can’t just see gaming as what it is: a way of enjoying yourselves. It’s a way to chill out from school/work etc. People play games to relax and to have lots of fun. I just get so annoyed when people s**g of one anothers console. I just really don’t see the point.

People will, and do have different opinions to consoles and often, they keep their opinions to themselves which I think is the best way to stop all arguments accruing. You can never say that the PS2 or any other console that is out today is crap because obviously that is just plain silly.

Dreamcast is more of an arcady console where the PS2 is different. The games are more sophisticated on the PS2. I’m not saying this is better or worse than the Dreamcast, just a different style. You can not forget the Dreamcast as this stage of the year. Okay so it is not looking like it has a bright future ahead of it, but that isn’t stopping me from playing all the great games out for it at the moment, is it?

This post is not just pro PS2, but I feel the need to defend it a little. Also, this post is to all the people that love to stir up trouble with the slightly tiresome console wars topics (not aimed at you Ant because you have not made any biased comments).
It’s not just about what console has the best graphics; it’s about how much YOU enjoy them. We have been blessed with gaming to have fun. It’s not a chore, we love to play games. And for the people like you who just like to run around shouting “my console is better than yours”. Please lets try to put a stop to this once and for all, how about it?

So come on people, lets stop with the arguing and lets just appreciate the gaming world, and how brilliant it is. Play games to enjoy them, that’s it.

I hope that I have helped change some peoples biased mind towards the PS2, and maybe you shall respect it for what it is. A great computer console.

So, who wins? In my opinion, no-one has/will win, no one will loose and every company out there will gain something from this experience. Especially Microsoft as this is their first experience with console gaming, so good luck to them.
Sat 16/06/01 at 18:03
Regular
"You've upset me"
Lol Cheese
Sat 16/06/01 at 17:57
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Well its pretty obvious - my super console will win.

Super Console being my fingers. Which I can twiddle about. Much funnier than Conker, and superbly non-linear gameplay.

Cheap as well.
Sat 16/06/01 at 16:29
Regular
"Back For Good"
there's no answer to topics like this so
"no comment"
Sat 16/06/01 at 16:29
Regular
"You've upset me"
Lol
Sat 16/06/01 at 16:26
Regular
Give me a SNES, a multitap and a copy of SuperBomberman any day!
Sat 16/06/01 at 15:31
Regular
Intersting theory. I think for sure most of the younger generation will go for gamecube as it will probably be a present from parents. Nintendo is a strong brand name and as it being the cheapest, it is most likely to be a christmas or birthday present.
Sat 16/06/01 at 15:28
Regular
"You've upset me"
Console Wars... groan, I can't be bothered to post my views in another debate after the Tim McVeigh one...

hehehehe, we had a half hour long debate about that in Geography on Tuesday. Even the teacher joined in :-D
Sat 16/06/01 at 15:19
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I own a PS2 so must be a Sony fan. I will be getting a GC on release hopefully. As soon as SR start taking pre-orders I will put my money down and join the front of the queue. Iam still not too sure whether to pre-order the X-Box. It does have a few good titles I would want to play but I dont know if they are launch games or not. I dont think i'll pre-order a X-Box just yet i'll wait until closer to the release date. I wonder if they will have the shortages like the PS2 did.

I think Sony will still come out on top mainly because of its already very large user base across the world. Its also got a load of very good games coming out in the near future and its already got a decent bunch of games out right now.

GC will do very well as its $200, $100 less than X-Box. It will have some very good games on it. Nintendo do make amazing games but the problem with the N64 was a lack of good games. It was also delayed and by then the PS1 had too much of its big boot throught the door to be stopped.

Last and but not least the X-Box. I think that it will do ok but no way as dominating as Microsoft would like. Its not really got peoples attention while the GC has. The size of it is more like a PC than a console. It wont play DVD movies, while PS2 can. This could lose them some potential customers as Mr Joe Normal walks to buy a console and also he would also like a DVD player in the future. He asks about the PS2 and X-Box. They both play games, PS2 will probably have more titles available, and PS2 plays DVD movies. He thinks to him self "I can have a console and a DVD player all in one and for only $200". PS2 is well know and has a massive user base so will not go down the drain in 6 months time.

X-Box and GC are release within days of each other. Kiddie Bob Joes parents are on the look out for a Christmas/birthday present. He already owns a N64, which he loves. His parents are familiar with the name Nintendo, they walk into the games shop and see the brand new GC made by Nintendo. They also see a big black box that is made by Microsoft, its not a PC but a Console. Kiddie Bob Joes parents are all to familiar with the dreaded Microsoft name as its all they see when they need to reboot there computer for the 100th time that day. GC is nice and small in all different bright colours and you have a black box. The GC is $200 while the X-Box is $300. Both consoles have a good selection of games. Parents know both companies, which Console will they chose?
The GC, why? Because its $100 cheaper that can buy a game or 2 and a extra controller or whatever. Nintendo is a company known for making great games Kiddie Bob Joes parents know this as he has a N64. X-Box made by a company that brings us more crashes in our homes each day, than there are car crashes in the whole of the world each day.

So IMHO Sony will be No 1. Then just a controller behind the GC in the No 2 spot. And the X-Box a controller a few games behind puts it in a low 3rd place.
Sat 16/06/01 at 15:08
"I love yo... lamp."
I've been too busy making plans for my revolution.And dealing with my PC which threw up 2 blue screens and then hung on me about 5 minutes ago.Its the Pc that other people use so I'm blaming it on them because my PC doesn't crash.I'm really tempting fate now.
Biggles

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.