GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rome: Total War"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Rome Total War'.
Fri 01/10/04 at 13:01
"I love yo... lamp."
Well it seems like a tour de force for Miserableman and Co.

This is probably going to be the first PC game I'll have bought since Warcraft 3 came out. Who else is likely to pick it up?
Fri 05/11/04 at 15:43
Regular
On the Channel 4 teletext game service is scored 10/10 which is pretty unbelievable as I have never seen a game get a perfect 10 from them before, they are usually extremely harsh most of the time.

It is definitley up there with Riddick and San Andreas for the best game I have played so far this year. Absolutely stunning.
Fri 05/11/04 at 15:35
Regular
"Excommunicated"
My computer didn't like the demo

Bah
Thu 04/11/04 at 21:37
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Or, spend an interminably long time fighting off Gauls from Narbo Martius and trying to carefully balance finances and poplation happiness.

Judging by the speed that I'm going through the game, I should have completed the Julii campaign withhin the next 100 or so years, which isn't half bad. Then it's time to play as the Britons. Hurrey - they're the richest faction in mine at the moment, even though that changes every turn.
Thu 04/11/04 at 20:26
Regular
Finally ordered this, hopefully get it tommorow or saturday.

Then I will crush and slaughter all!!
Thu 04/11/04 at 20:15
Regular
"bit of a brain"
The testudo soldiers are so stupid though. If one of them dies they take about 3 minutes "reforming", during which time a load more of them die due to holes in the shell. Still good though.

I've had the military reforms, and I've been recruiting INcendiary Pigs (glorious), and I've got a couple of those Gladiator guys they seem pretty good. My only problem now is that I've got a senate mission to take a settlement, but the settlement is filled to the brim with Macedonians and I don't have a big enough army, plus it's absolutely miles away from any of my towns. I'm drawn by the promise of an "exotic and rare unit" though, although it will probably just be camels or something.

The greeks died out in mine at about 215BC and I've just been expanding into their lands via the sea (Crete - Rhodes) ever since, seeing as they're only rebels. I took Carthage, but then, for some unknown reason I was kicked out so I'm retaking it right now, and this time I think I'll Slaughter the population - it seems to work quite well for keeping large populations at bay (at bay in their cold cold graves).

I was annoyed though because I'd finally got some Triarii Spearmen and they're taken away from me thanks to the reforms. I love those guys they're so good against cavalry it's ridiculous. Still, I have enough Praetorian Cohort to last me a lifetime.

I'm loving this game - it's so addictive. Soon I'll be rising up and Crushing Rome - they don't have many armies left and the other factions only really have navies. Once I have Rome I won't even need to use the Sea.
Wed 03/11/04 at 16:24
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I think I can finally train up Rome's answer to the Warrior Monks, Gladiators. Very expensive, but they look like one mean bunch, not even coming with any armour or shields.

I can also finally train troops who can use the testudo formation, i.e. the Roman tank. I features on one the finest animations in the entire game.
Wed 03/11/04 at 16:12
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I liked those little videos too.

Ahh, on Medieval, I've had many a few vs a masses.

On Shogun, I had Yari Cavalry and one unit of Ashigaru (sp) spear people, and some of the legendary Warrior Monks. They sat in the bottom of a ravine, and on came the enemy hordes. Ashigaru just put their spears forwards and stood still. Monks hacked back and forth.

And then, gloriously, 300 Yari Cavalry, who had climbed the huge hills either side, swept downwards in a glittering frenzy and absoloutely tore the enemy to pieces. Twas brilliant.
Wed 03/11/04 at 14:55
Regular
"A man with a stick"
gerrid wrote:
> These archers have now become my greatest heroes of all time and I built a > temple in their honour

The Auxilia Archers are glorious. Better range, accuracy and more arrows to fire than the usual, bog standard archers, I use them when attacking Rebels, rather than launch my troops head on I use the archers to thing out the enemy numbers with deadly effect. I even send them in retreat sometimes without actually engaging in battle, a swift cavalry charge finishes them off.

The Gauls I found to be quite easy, not on of their siege's or battles succeeded, even when I had over 500 troops under siege from 1500 Gauls I somehow managed to struggle through, loosing only 50 men while the Gauls suffered extreme casualties.

The Spanish will also soon fall, only three settlements to take, then I'll finish off the Carthaginians. After then I'd have defeated all my current enemies, I'll just expand through a few rebel territories until I decide to attack someone else.
Wed 03/11/04 at 10:59
Regular
No.

But there's a charming sound effect.
Wed 03/11/04 at 08:49
Regular
I haven't even bothered with Assassins yet or really settled into the Campaign due to San Andreas taking up a hell of a lot of time.

Do the Assassin executions come with the little FMV scenes akin to the original Shogun? That was the only thing that I really missed from Medieval, it was like a little game in itself waiting to see what would happen.

Sad but true story.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.