GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rome: Total War"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Rome Total War'.
Fri 01/10/04 at 13:01
"I love yo... lamp."
Well it seems like a tour de force for Miserableman and Co.

This is probably going to be the first PC game I'll have bought since Warcraft 3 came out. Who else is likely to pick it up?
Sun 07/11/04 at 16:50
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I'm somewhere around 200BC and I've got about 20 provinces, soon to become 21 when I take the last Gaul settlement. I've had the reforms and I've lost a couple of battles, most of them have come at sea in battles which I can't control or retreat from, so I've only actually lost one land battle which was 50 of my guys defending a wooden palisade against a 400 strong army of Heavy Infantry.

I'd say you're going quite fast having taken that many provinces - I bet you haven't been fighting the Greeks/Carthaginians/Macedonians/Egyptians yet though - they're much much tougher.
Sun 07/11/04 at 16:46
Regular
How quickly did you guys progress?

I'm playing as the Julii family, its 245BC, my faction leader is now 70 and I have 11 cities, 2 I started with and 9 I've taken over. My army is currently undefeated in battle.

I have the feeling I'm advancing at a rather slow pace, but I have nothing to compare to.
Sun 07/11/04 at 16:33
Regular
"bit of a brain"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Does anyone else find the movement around the campaign map slower than
> the previous two Total War games?

Well the physical process of moving the camera from one place to another is slower, but only because of the graphics that it has to generate. If you're talking about armies moving to their destination, you can just right click twice to make them go there immediately, or press space during their movement.
Sun 07/11/04 at 16:31
Regular
"bit of a brain"
You cant change to set formations, I don't think - it's lost that from the previous games.
You can drag the right mouse over the area where you want them to go, and you can change the shape of the unit like that, although it will always be rectangular. The only other formations are the Special Abilities like Cantabrian Circle, Testudo and Wedge, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

Oh and you can set them to loose if you want.
Sun 07/11/04 at 09:27
Regular
"Bicycle"
Yep, units are in groups.

And you can group groups of units.

And you can probably also group groups of groups.

Fun.
Sat 06/11/04 at 21:33
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Whitestripes X wrote:
> Is there a particular reason why I can't seem to change formation?
>
> Say I press shift+2 to form a double line, all that happens is a sort
> of red spike thing appears by the selected unit. Do I have to build
> some advanced training facility thing before these become available?

Your units are grouped, right?
Sat 06/11/04 at 20:39
Regular
Does anyone else find the movement around the campaign map slower than the previous two Total War games?
Sat 06/11/04 at 17:18
Regular
Is there a particular reason why I can't seem to change formation?

Say I press shift+2 to form a double line, all that happens is a sort of red spike thing appears by the selected unit. Do I have to build some advanced training facility thing before these become available?
Sat 06/11/04 at 17:06
Regular
"That's right!"
Played the campaign today, easier than the prologue which is a bit daft. Anyway I was doing alright until the game crashed. Bah.

I'll play it some more tomorrow.
Sat 06/11/04 at 14:05
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Cyclone wrote:
> Is it radically different to previous TW games?

It's still got the same basic set up. If you've played the previous Total War games you'll know what to expect and have a better idea of how things work than those who haven't. Even if your still having trouble there's always help on offer, the game comes with advisor's who give helpful hints on almost everything in the game.

And as far as the game goes, I've amassed one huge army of up to 1212 troops, commanded by a general with very high honour. I'm going to use this army to crush the remainder of the Spanish and Carthaginians, picking on rebel armies as I go along.

The catapult has also become one my favourite weapons. It smashes down walls with ease, but use it's special function and it'll launch huge fireballs that can devastate columns of enemy soldiers. It's a bit inaccurate, but vital in those big battles.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.