GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rome: Total War"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Rome Total War'.
Fri 01/10/04 at 13:01
"I love yo... lamp."
Well it seems like a tour de force for Miserableman and Co.

This is probably going to be the first PC game I'll have bought since Warcraft 3 came out. Who else is likely to pick it up?
Tue 02/11/04 at 22:07
Regular
"bit of a brain"
They have chariots with knives on the wheels.

I haven't found out yet, but if all the family members of one of your allies dies, and their armies disband into rebels, do some of the rebels join your faction, like in the previous game? I hope so, because that means that my assassin can get to work on the other roman factions and get me some more damn provinces surrounding Rome, ready for my final seige.
Tue 02/11/04 at 20:46
Regular
"Not a Jew"
I made an alliance with the Britons, and now they attack my Gallic provinces. Couldn't have came at a worse time, I'm currently fihting the Spanish, Rebels and Carthage.
Ah well, they can't be that hard.
Tue 02/11/04 at 18:36
Regular
"bit of a brain"
So I got this on Friday and so far I've conquered the settlement next to the Gaul capital, I have the largest armies in the world and I'm making bucketloads of money.

I've also discovered that my military genius from Shogun remains, here are some examples:

So my settlement in Narbo Martius gets beseiged AGAIN (it's happened about 8 times so far) and I only have 121 men left, but the attacking Gaul army is a full 429 men. So they come attacking me with 2 battering rams, and I position a group of town watch directly in front of the area they are attacking, and one hastati to the right and one small group of horsies to the left, creating a U shape around the point they are attacking. When they burst in, I let them engage, and then collapse them at the sides, and charge in my horses, then withdraw and charge again. Basically the whole damn army routes and I chase them to their doom, killing 393 of them in the process. It was, apparently, only a "clear victory".

Story no 2
Now this happened yesterday - basically my settlement got beseiged, so I moved in an army of about 120 men to help them out. THEN, the beseiging army attacked this supporting group, and so I had to fight their 350 army with my 120 men, plus the 250 that were in the beseiged settlement, but they were controlled by the AI.

Now, basically, before I even had a chance to get in, the AI got my 5 star general killed and they all routed, just as my 2 groups of Principes go in for the attack. The Gauls were all heavy swordsmen as well, and so they massacred my infantry. I looked around and all I had left was 2 units of archers, against 4 units of Swordsmen. Basically, I ran away from them for the whole time, carefully manouviring my men up hills, turning around, and firing flaming arrows into them before turning and running a bit further up the hill. The actual tactic that got to me to win that I had my two groups of archers on either side of an enemy, and I shot into the back of the enemy pursuing the other unit, and so killing more of them. Somehow, I managed to kill every single one of their men and still have some arrows left. These archers have now become my greatest heroes of all time and I built a temple in their honour in the settlement, although unfortunately I couldn't name it Archers Stadium like I wanted to. It was, possibly, the greatest victory that I have ever engineered, as all seemed completely lost until my brave archers took the glory of Rome into their hands and defeated a great army of Gauls singlehandedly.

I have also trained a +10 assassin who I use to kill the damn macedonian consuls who bribed one of my armies away. I slaughtered them mercilessly over 3 turns and ever since then I've been attacking every consul that even thinks about entering my territory.
Sat 23/10/04 at 17:00
Regular
"A man with a stick"
RoJ wrote:
> Yas, I play as them. Thanks for advice.

Don't forget o use Diplomat's, they can acquisition trade routes with other factions and if you are really desperate, even demand money, though you won’t get any unless you offer something in return.

Also, I defeated the Gauls, most of France is now mine. I can build more advanced troops now and will be sending a huge army to conquer the rest of Spain, as the Spanish are my new enemies. I'll also take the final Carthaginian settlement while I'm at.
Fri 22/10/04 at 19:16
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Well I just ordered it and if it gets here before I go to Iceland...
Thu 21/10/04 at 17:35
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Yas, I play as them. Thanks for advice.
Thu 21/10/04 at 17:32
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Making money doesn’t necessarily come from constant raiding and capture of settlements. You need to build up existing provinces in order to expand their trade output. Build roads, Farms, Ports and any other building that contributes to your settlements profits (you can see a description of each building by right clicking them on the build menu).

If you’re still struggling then try to increase the amount of tax, but don’t forget to recruit extra towns guard and other troops to quell whatever rebellion may decide to rise up if you decide this route. Also, if you do decide you want to capture enemy settlements, one's with ports are a good choice, as you'll have fiddle about building roads if you go for one that's more in land.

I have conquered most of southern France and parts of Eastern Spain, only a couple of my settlements are making a loss, while others are raking in a fortune. I have so much money now that I can spend as much as I want and still have bags full of gold left over, which thanks to rapid expansion, is very much needed.

Also, best to play as the Juli, they’re the easiest faction with plenty of room for expanse to the North. The Barbarian hoards that protect the land there are a pish take and are easily conquerable.
Thu 21/10/04 at 17:05
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Yeah, I think it's hard too. I go into debt and keep needing to get more money. I'm having to capture settlements and massacre the population and loot the place to get more money.
Wed 20/10/04 at 21:37
Regular
I got this game the other day.

You people are going to laugh at me in a second.

I find it really hard

I keep running out of money and my faction gets defeated, and thats in the "prologue" tutorial, I haven't completed that yet! Currently I'm playing the game in the "easy" mode of the Imperial Campaign.

Thing thing that bothers me is the Senate missions, they tell you to go somewhere in X amount of turns, but I never manage to make it in time :(

Good game still.
Wed 20/10/04 at 19:09
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I hope it will run on my computer. I will buy it soon - don't you worry.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.