GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rome: Total War"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Rome Total War'.
Fri 01/10/04 at 13:01
"I love yo... lamp."
Well it seems like a tour de force for Miserableman and Co.

This is probably going to be the first PC game I'll have bought since Warcraft 3 came out. Who else is likely to pick it up?
Sat 06/11/04 at 13:25
Regular
Yeah I gave up on the prologue and went into the proper game, I found the start there much easier so I'm actually making money and kicking butt.

I need to go back and learn all the advanced controls and stuff now, like formation changes etc.
Sat 06/11/04 at 12:34
Regular
SHEEPY wrote:
> I really want to play it... I might just get the Medeival one.

Noooooooo

You must get this.
It is a wonderful, wonderful game.
Sat 06/11/04 at 11:48
Regular
SHEEPY wrote:
> I might just get the Medeival one.

:' {

This is lots better.
Sat 06/11/04 at 00:51
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I really want to play it... I might just get the Medeival one.
Fri 05/11/04 at 23:26
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Is it radically different to previous TW games?

If not, I have a pretty good idea what to do.
Fri 05/11/04 at 23:19
Regular
"Not a Jew"
WS:
http://guides.ign.com/guides/498739/page_2.html

Little guide I came across, it tells you the basics.
Fri 05/11/04 at 22:25
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Choosing units couldn't be easier - you just click on the unit you want. If you don't know where it is, then click down the bottom. The camera's only annoying because it's restricted to what your army can actually see - put them on top of a hill and you'll be able to move it everywhere.

As for the managing, my tips would be to not worry about it in the prologue. When you get to the main missions, don't be constantly building units - they eat up a hell of a lot of money. Also remember that the higher your population happiness, the higher the tax rate you can impose. Take a look at the settlement details scroll to see what needs to be improved. Also, the first couple of settlements that you get, I'd suggest occupying them, and once you get a bit further, enslave them to help out in your big cities. Then, the further you get away from your capital, the more slaughtering of the population you can do.

Oh and don't forget - paved roads and a market/forum are essential.
Fri 05/11/04 at 21:20
Regular
"That's right!"
Played it for a bit, never played any of the Total War games. I don't like the interface/controls etc, because it doesn't feel as if I'm in charge and selecting different types of units is too fiddly (so I tend to just hit control and A to select them all)

Camera's crap too.

No doubt it will grow on me, I like the idea of being in charge of towns and stuff, but it's so different to what I'm used to (Warcraft and C&C) that it may take a while.
Fri 05/11/04 at 19:28
Regular
I'm doing the prologue, I'm good at the battling, rubbish at the managing.

How on earth do I get them to start making profit? I've only got the first two settlements you're ordered to attack by The Senate.
Fri 05/11/04 at 16:43
Regular
It would be nice if, when you got to beyond 0BC, you could recruit Jesus.

:'}

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.