GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"First impressions of Fable..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Fable'.
Fri 08/10/04 at 16:30
Regular
Nice graphics, nice setting, easy combat, lots of farmer accents.

So far I like, it all feels very Terry Pratchet/Harry potter. Mainly because of the accents, still cool game so far.

I got my guy an oriental moustache and everyone keeps calling him ugly. I swear the next person to laugh at him is gonna get my katana sword up their jacksey. Everyone keeps calling me Chicken Chaser for some reason, probably because I keep punting them around everywhere.

I've tried to hold back on killing people for no real reason so far, god knows I came close to killing one guy though as he just wouldn't shut up about fishing. Instead I farted at him and stole his bed for the night, tried flirting with him also but he just laughed at me.

The world's a lot bigger than I expected, haven't actually come across any villages yet as I've been mainly kicking bandits asses in the woods.

Still, I like so far.
Page:
Fri 08/10/04 at 21:51
Regular
"8==="
Have reached just over four hours of game time (ie not including deaths/re-loads etc)

Doesn't feel like I'm halfway through a game but I could be wrong. Though I'd make it difficult for myself by not enhancing my starting health AT ALL. Trouble is no monster so far has been able to kill me in one hit so I've just killed everything and used potions/food to heal myself. First impressions are that it is very easy but the boasts do make it harder (try doing the ones where you abe to do whole quests without getting a scratch for a challenge, one stray arrow and you're not getting your, meagre, bonus. But the boats are more to do with getting more renowned but I've found a dead easy was to get loads of renown anyway).

The area system reminds me of PSO and the fighting of Zelda OOT.

Think next time I play it through I think I'll go for a theif type character of a magic user and just try to do everything either as stealthy as possible or only using magic in combat.

All I've enhanced on my character is physical strength and speed everything else is at starting levels.

Trying to do most of the game with ranged weapons would probably make it a lot tougher.

It's good and I think the replay value is superb, especially with the demon doors and hidden areas.

Wish there were more clothes to muck about with though.
Fri 08/10/04 at 21:52
Regular
Damnit, completely forgot this was out! I'll hopefully order it soon, looks muchly sweet.
Fri 08/10/04 at 21:54
I was going to get this soon, but after sort of going crazy on the browsing yesterday and ending up buying a few games, I'll have to finish them all first. And then Halo 2 will come out.
Fri 08/10/04 at 22:13
Regular
I'm just using a mixture of stuff, some melee some magic and sometimes depending on the enemies I yank my bow and bust some arrows in peoples asses.

My character's still young though so I'll be intrested to see how he turns out.

I've pretty much evenly spread out experience points over all 3 areas, though I've probably given least to the magic side of things. If you don't put points into stealth then you never get the ability to break into peoples house at night. I've just got the steal command, only time I've tried using it I got caught shop lifting in one of the clothes shops and was chased out the town with pointy sticks.
Fri 08/10/04 at 22:29
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Was i the only one to get THUG 2 then?

Hehe.
Fri 08/10/04 at 22:46
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Sounds like a more mature version of Harvest Moon...
Fri 08/10/04 at 23:34
Just posting what I did a while back:

Ahh good old Fable.

Completed it 3-4 weeks ago.

Took me 11 hours (5 days).

Any one who doesn't believe me (that will be everyone) when you get the game, when you complete it you can back here and tell me that I am right.

I took the good path, bought and rented out 6 houses and 1 shop.
Got married twice (once to lady grey)

It's a good game, but with only 11 hours (15max) game play it wasn't worth the wait.

He he, I am aged 50, slim and it tells me my furthest chicken kick.

When you get to the end you will see i'm not lying and I did complete it a while back. Shame really, wish it could of been longer.
Might go back and be the bad person this time.
Sat 09/10/04 at 00:24
Regular
No-one's said you're lying.

My game's gonna take a hell of a lot longer than yours though. I'm nearly 8 hours in and I've only done 4 main quests and explored a fraction of the world.

Did you get all the demon doors and chests in that time?

I'll be at this for a long time to some just trying to get everything and messing around in the world and replaying with different characters. I see this one lasting me till Halo 2 comes along.
Sat 09/10/04 at 02:04
Regular
"8==="
OH YEAH!

Totally forgot. First thing I did with Fable was have a look at the new trailers for games.

Look at the Conker one it's fooking mint!

Also the head guy of the guild, I can't take him seriously because he sounds exactly like the 'classically trained actor' off of Monkey Dust.

"You young serf, did you just spill my pint? You're going home in a ****ing wooden ambulance"
Sat 09/10/04 at 04:19
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Ok, my game so far....
Trained in the guild and had that snot nosed little ugly bint trying to start a rivalry with me. Beat the living snot out of her in melee combat and told to follow the old guy to the archery area. She tries to save face with a "well done, you won...this time". I lift my leg and leave her breathing a cloud of man gas before running after the old guy.

Training ends and I start exploring/doing quests and gradually picking myself out of the weak starting character gutter. I was generally being a decent guy up until I was fighting some bandits in the woods and some prat trader decided to get in the way and got caught by my sword. This suddenly gave the guards in the area the idea that they were gonna start giving me grief.

The "good boy" thing to do would have been to run off - but after getting shot in the back with an arrow from a guard while I tried to carry on fighting the bandits, just resulted in me going right into one and slamming my cleaver sword right through the blokes throat. Two of his poxy chums came running over to avenge him and soon ended up joining him in meeting their maker.

This resulted in a good number of bad points on me, but meh, sod it. My character is pretty much split down the middle at the moment between good and evil - some people fertilize their undies while others just pull their undies down and offer themselves to my hunky self.

Bought a couple of houses and got married to a cute tavern girl. Now I'm basically shagging the new wife for England whilst occasionally taking on the odd quest. Doesn't help when you're trying to get your leg over with the wife and that old git's voice echoes through the house "You have an important quest waiting for you at the guild !" Had me shouting "Get stuffed you silly old fart ! I'm scoring with the wife here !" on more than one occasion.

As for magic, abilities, etc. Its pretty evenly balanced, but I do favour melee combat over the other options. I use everything, but its always fun to just wrap my big sword round peoples skulls.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.