GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Farewell Zelda"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/09/05 at 12:33
Regular
I had a feeling this was going to happen.

With the revolution set to introduce a DS style new way of playing games I began to wonder what lies ahead for Nintendo's main mascots.

Mario, as Miyamoto put it in a recent interview, is a "concept title"... it is the game that promotes change and therefore will thrive under new control methods and systems. Pikmin looks set to be a DS title whilst the likes of Pokemon can still easily work on the DS as well. Metroid has already been confirmed for both next generation handheld and home system whilst Donkey Kong, Wario and Kirby no longer have a defining genre anyway.

What about Zelda? In a recent interview with a radio station Miyamoto said, regarding the new Twilight Princess:

"This will be, without a doubt, the last Zelda game as you know it in its present form."

A delay makes more sense. Granted I was glad to hear Nintendo were willing to delay the game from its almost ideal position as a competitor for the X-box 360 in order to make it better. But still, from a finacial point of view, it doesn't make sense. But it seems Nintendo are being all nostaligic. For an epic Zelda game as we know it will not work on Revolution, much as one wouldn't really work on the DS.

So in theory, this is potentially the last true Zelda game ever. Miyamoto also said that this is the game he has worked most closely on in years and years.

It is very sad to say goodbye to some legendary Nintendo games. But the future holds promise.

"Mario is and always has been a concept title from his birth. We are always looking for new ways of playing with him, manipulating him, to create something new and unique. We're in the midst of preparing something special for his future, something never before seen. You'll understand when you see it that we can't quite release it right away. The new Mario game will surprise many people. Give us the benefit of the doubt. I think we'll present you with a new way to have fun. There's even a new character by his side.

"We based the Revolution around this new type of game. Mario 128 played a large role in the Revolution's conception, much like Mario 64 in it's time. But we won't just be focusing on Mario. We're working on some very impressive games which push interactivity to the max - games of a new era."

Does sound promising... doesn't it?

Dringo.
Tue 06/09/05 at 13:39
Regular
"Random by default"
Apart from Resi Evil 4 and a bit of GTA3:SA ive not touched a console game in ages, i didnt realise until just now.

If Nintendo sells it at good prices and they are able to make some honest "new" genre/type whatever games i could see it do well, for people like me at least. Something different to do, instead of another game that will just sit itself in the average game in this genre pool.

Gone of the days i could happily sit infront of a console all day and not notice :(
Tue 06/09/05 at 13:34
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Deus Ex: Invisible War and Thief 3 should help.
>
> Both are about £10.

Invisible War is rubbish. It really is, just get the original Deus Ex.
Tue 06/09/05 at 13:21
Regular
"8==="
Deus Ex: Invisible War and Thief 3 should help.

Both are about £10.
Tue 06/09/05 at 13:19
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> I mean the game industry has hit a slump and I've fallen in with it.
>
> I want a 360 for online gaming... but that's it. Feeling
> dissapointed.

Dringo, welcome to where I was about 2 years ago.
You just have to accept that there's only so much you can play before you've seen it all. Games can only impress us so far.

So there will be a little bit of come down until you start picking up games again, knowing that they can only do so much for you and you'll be able to enjoy them for what they are, without expecting to be blown out out of the water.

And you never know, a game might come along that could still surprise us all...
Tue 06/09/05 at 12:58
Regular
"8==="
I think one is, nice new textures, sky etc and 2/3rds of extra stuff.

Infact re-do the whole thing and just set it in beautiful Hyrule again.
Tue 06/09/05 at 12:56
Regular
I really don't think another remake is needed, I'd like a whole new game.
Tue 06/09/05 at 12:54
Regular
"8==="
Another remake of OOT with 2/3rds of extra bits would suit me fine.
Tue 06/09/05 at 01:00
Regular
The single player is very good in four swords.

And with the DS there be online play.
Mon 05/09/05 at 21:02
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
Single player's better.
Mon 05/09/05 at 21:02
"The Will of D."
I don't really want another Zelda Four Swords, I prefer single player Zelda way better, especially because not everyone has friends with DS' to play the game with or would want to, so in my mind I don't want it unless it has a single player to it as well. But I would be extremly happy when they finish off Zelda DS and its jsut a good as Ocarina of Time or Majoras Mask. I don't expect it to outshine Twilight Princess, but I doubt any Zelda game can for a long long time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.