GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Farewell Zelda"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/09/05 at 12:33
Regular
I had a feeling this was going to happen.

With the revolution set to introduce a DS style new way of playing games I began to wonder what lies ahead for Nintendo's main mascots.

Mario, as Miyamoto put it in a recent interview, is a "concept title"... it is the game that promotes change and therefore will thrive under new control methods and systems. Pikmin looks set to be a DS title whilst the likes of Pokemon can still easily work on the DS as well. Metroid has already been confirmed for both next generation handheld and home system whilst Donkey Kong, Wario and Kirby no longer have a defining genre anyway.

What about Zelda? In a recent interview with a radio station Miyamoto said, regarding the new Twilight Princess:

"This will be, without a doubt, the last Zelda game as you know it in its present form."

A delay makes more sense. Granted I was glad to hear Nintendo were willing to delay the game from its almost ideal position as a competitor for the X-box 360 in order to make it better. But still, from a finacial point of view, it doesn't make sense. But it seems Nintendo are being all nostaligic. For an epic Zelda game as we know it will not work on Revolution, much as one wouldn't really work on the DS.

So in theory, this is potentially the last true Zelda game ever. Miyamoto also said that this is the game he has worked most closely on in years and years.

It is very sad to say goodbye to some legendary Nintendo games. But the future holds promise.

"Mario is and always has been a concept title from his birth. We are always looking for new ways of playing with him, manipulating him, to create something new and unique. We're in the midst of preparing something special for his future, something never before seen. You'll understand when you see it that we can't quite release it right away. The new Mario game will surprise many people. Give us the benefit of the doubt. I think we'll present you with a new way to have fun. There's even a new character by his side.

"We based the Revolution around this new type of game. Mario 128 played a large role in the Revolution's conception, much like Mario 64 in it's time. But we won't just be focusing on Mario. We're working on some very impressive games which push interactivity to the max - games of a new era."

Does sound promising... doesn't it?

Dringo.
Mon 05/09/05 at 16:28
Regular
"Cool!"
Oh well. I never really liked Zelda
Mon 05/09/05 at 18:16
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
You fools. As if they'd get rid of the Zelda series.

*worried look*
Mon 05/09/05 at 18:32
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> Go tell that to the millions of Japanese gamers...
>
> I would if they kept coming into every thread and saying it.
>
> I hope that's the last time you say you're bored with gaming, or that
> "PS3 and 360 = yawn", or that all games are the same. We all
> know how you feel, stop repeating yourself. That's all I'm asking for!

Not everyone reads every post.

I'm just trying to get my point accross.

I still enjoy playing games. Literally 5 minutes ago I finished Starfox Assault and I actually enjoyed it. I've also ordered Killer 7.

But since Resident Evil 4, and granted it may have been due to the summer months, I haven't REALLY enjoyed games. I've been playing Mario Kart with friends a lot, simply because that's the casual gamer side to me.

I like online games, I do, FPS' in particular... they're all samey and so forth but I still enjoy them. I'm looking for something truly refreshing now... not the occasional treat from Capcom, SEGA or Nintendo... I want there to be a new spark in gaming, like the N64, something to really re-invent things.

The DS has tempted me... then it hasn't.

I've been looking at Another Code, Yoshi, Kirby, Mario, Meteos, Wario Ware etc... and although they look good... none of them really light up my world.

Then again I was checking out some videos of Mario Kart and Nintendogs and I'm getting more and more tempted.

I hope the Revolution does it. Nintendo have harped on about it so much I really hope we'll see a step in the world of gaming that goes beyond slightly better looking games that the X-box 360 and PS3 offers.

I'll accept the need for a new Playstation... but the need for a new X-box??? I don't believe it.

But that's the world of competiton. They need to release early.

Here's to the future... yardi yar.

Dringo.
Mon 05/09/05 at 18:33
"The Will of D."
Tphi wrote:
> gerrid wrote:
> After 3 3D Zeldas and 1 to come, the series needs to go in a new
> direction before it becomes old and stale.
>
> 5D Zelda to the max!!!!

hey you might be on to something there! What if Nintendo are using the technology for 3D Films where the screen comes alive, well what if they are making this happen with the Revolution? True 3D games dancing right in front of your eyeballs, and the cool thing is you can get a free pair of 3D glasses with the console (like the ones used in Theme parks and Cinemas, not the crappy Red and Blue things) and like the DS Stylus you can buy a spare pair in every gaming shop.
Mon 05/09/05 at 18:34
"The Will of D."
Cool Boy wrote:
> Oh well. I never really liked Zelda

Then you must have a very boring life.
Mon 05/09/05 at 18:40
Regular
Psyİho Fox 19 wrote:
Zelda to the max!!!!
>
> hey you might be on to something there! What if Nintendo are using
> the technology for 3D Films where the screen comes alive, well what
> if they are making this happen with the Revolution? True 3D games
> dancing right in front of your eyeballs, and the cool thing is you
> can get a free pair of 3D glasses with the console (like the ones
> used in Theme parks and Cinemas, not the crappy Red and Blue things)
> and like the DS Stylus you can buy a spare pair in every gaming shop.

Belive it or not this has been rumoured before.
Mon 05/09/05 at 18:56
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Dringo wrote:
> I had a feeling this was going to happen.

Another topic about Dringo crying over Nintendo?? About every other post by him these days. No offence mate but is getting quite tiresome.
Either like games and be happy with em, or stop moaning about how rubbish and dissapointing they all are and go find something better to do!!

> What about Zelda? In a recent interview with a radio station Miyamoto
> said, regarding the new Twilight Princess:
>
> "This will be, without a doubt, the last Zelda game as you know
> it in its present form."

Couldn't it just be the fact that since Wind Waker, Miyamoto has had less and less to do with the Zelda games? That other chappy, Uncle Bonzo or whatever he's called, calls the shots with the Zelda games now. So, perhaps they are going to be slightly different to the happy go lucky Zelda games of old.

:)
Mon 05/09/05 at 19:00
Regular
Cooky wrote:

> Another topic about Dringo crying over Nintendo?? About every other
> post by him these days. No offence mate but is getting quite
> tiresome.

Crying??? I'm glad.

> Either like games and be happy with em, or stop moaning about how
> rubbish and dissapointing they all are and go find something better
> to do!!

I take it you didn't read the post.

> Couldn't it just be the fact that since Wind Waker, Miyamoto has had
> less and less to do with the Zelda games? That other chappy, Uncle
> Bonzo or whatever he's called, calls the shots with the Zelda games
> now. So, perhaps they are going to be slightly different to the
> happy go lucky Zelda games of old.

I was hopeing it was because Revolution will mean totally new games.
Mon 05/09/05 at 19:04
Regular
I also barely post in this forum anymore... why accuse me of going on about the same old?
Mon 05/09/05 at 19:05
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Dringo wrote:
> I was hopeing it was because Revolution will mean totally new games.

The DS has introduced a quite unique control system and people are creating games that are slightly different. Can't really say any of them are 'new' games. Even with a 'new' controller, the games aren't really going to be all too different. Yes, there will be some games tailored to the new system and will be a bit different. But the majority will be the same old affair.

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.