GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Farewell Zelda"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/09/05 at 12:33
Regular
I had a feeling this was going to happen.

With the revolution set to introduce a DS style new way of playing games I began to wonder what lies ahead for Nintendo's main mascots.

Mario, as Miyamoto put it in a recent interview, is a "concept title"... it is the game that promotes change and therefore will thrive under new control methods and systems. Pikmin looks set to be a DS title whilst the likes of Pokemon can still easily work on the DS as well. Metroid has already been confirmed for both next generation handheld and home system whilst Donkey Kong, Wario and Kirby no longer have a defining genre anyway.

What about Zelda? In a recent interview with a radio station Miyamoto said, regarding the new Twilight Princess:

"This will be, without a doubt, the last Zelda game as you know it in its present form."

A delay makes more sense. Granted I was glad to hear Nintendo were willing to delay the game from its almost ideal position as a competitor for the X-box 360 in order to make it better. But still, from a finacial point of view, it doesn't make sense. But it seems Nintendo are being all nostaligic. For an epic Zelda game as we know it will not work on Revolution, much as one wouldn't really work on the DS.

So in theory, this is potentially the last true Zelda game ever. Miyamoto also said that this is the game he has worked most closely on in years and years.

It is very sad to say goodbye to some legendary Nintendo games. But the future holds promise.

"Mario is and always has been a concept title from his birth. We are always looking for new ways of playing with him, manipulating him, to create something new and unique. We're in the midst of preparing something special for his future, something never before seen. You'll understand when you see it that we can't quite release it right away. The new Mario game will surprise many people. Give us the benefit of the doubt. I think we'll present you with a new way to have fun. There's even a new character by his side.

"We based the Revolution around this new type of game. Mario 128 played a large role in the Revolution's conception, much like Mario 64 in it's time. But we won't just be focusing on Mario. We're working on some very impressive games which push interactivity to the max - games of a new era."

Does sound promising... doesn't it?

Dringo.
Mon 05/09/05 at 12:33
Regular
I had a feeling this was going to happen.

With the revolution set to introduce a DS style new way of playing games I began to wonder what lies ahead for Nintendo's main mascots.

Mario, as Miyamoto put it in a recent interview, is a "concept title"... it is the game that promotes change and therefore will thrive under new control methods and systems. Pikmin looks set to be a DS title whilst the likes of Pokemon can still easily work on the DS as well. Metroid has already been confirmed for both next generation handheld and home system whilst Donkey Kong, Wario and Kirby no longer have a defining genre anyway.

What about Zelda? In a recent interview with a radio station Miyamoto said, regarding the new Twilight Princess:

"This will be, without a doubt, the last Zelda game as you know it in its present form."

A delay makes more sense. Granted I was glad to hear Nintendo were willing to delay the game from its almost ideal position as a competitor for the X-box 360 in order to make it better. But still, from a finacial point of view, it doesn't make sense. But it seems Nintendo are being all nostaligic. For an epic Zelda game as we know it will not work on Revolution, much as one wouldn't really work on the DS.

So in theory, this is potentially the last true Zelda game ever. Miyamoto also said that this is the game he has worked most closely on in years and years.

It is very sad to say goodbye to some legendary Nintendo games. But the future holds promise.

"Mario is and always has been a concept title from his birth. We are always looking for new ways of playing with him, manipulating him, to create something new and unique. We're in the midst of preparing something special for his future, something never before seen. You'll understand when you see it that we can't quite release it right away. The new Mario game will surprise many people. Give us the benefit of the doubt. I think we'll present you with a new way to have fun. There's even a new character by his side.

"We based the Revolution around this new type of game. Mario 128 played a large role in the Revolution's conception, much like Mario 64 in it's time. But we won't just be focusing on Mario. We're working on some very impressive games which push interactivity to the max - games of a new era."

Does sound promising... doesn't it?

Dringo.
Mon 05/09/05 at 12:53
Regular
"0228"
Dringo wrote:
> "This will be, without a doubt, the last Zelda game as you know
> it in its present form."

I've written a song to go with this statement:

I'm off to buy an Xbox, an Xbox, an Xbox, I'm off to buy an Xbox and you should get one too.
Mon 05/09/05 at 12:58
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Oh stop crying. You could have said this at the end of the SNES era, but none of us are complaining about Mario 64 not being a "true Mario game like Mario World" or that Majora's Mask wasn't a "true Zelda game". Things change, they move on, it's a good thing that Zelda in it's current form is changing. After 3 3D Zeldas and 1 to come, the series needs to go in a new direction before it becomes old and stale.
Mon 05/09/05 at 13:00
Regular
"0228"
But, Nintendo have a tough job if they want to improve on the current games. I'll be impressed if they do it and I'll also be pleased, but I'm not holding out too much hope.
Mon 05/09/05 at 13:37
Regular
X-box 360... same old *yawn*
PS3... same old *yawn*

Revolution... who knows... there is hope.
Mon 05/09/05 at 13:41
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Stop saying that. That's gotta be the 5th or 6th time you've said the exact same thing. You haven't played any of the 360 or PS3 games so how do you know they're *yawn*? The 360 launch line up looks great to me.
Mon 05/09/05 at 13:46
Regular
PS3 -> New Same Old
360 -> New Same Old
Revolution -> Old Same Old with a new controller.......

Remeber the Dreamcast's revolutionary controller, that was amusing :-).

No doubt Nintendo have something up their sleeve that appeals to all. Maybe you need to make the controller out of Lego before you can use it or something.

I'll put money on the Revolution controller being something old just reworked, like a track-ball or something.
Mon 05/09/05 at 13:50
Regular
"thursdayton!"
gerrid wrote:
> After 3 3D Zeldas and 1 to come, the series needs to go in a new
> direction before it becomes old and stale.

5D Zelda to the max!!!!
Mon 05/09/05 at 13:58
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Stop saying that. That's gotta be the 5th or 6th time you've said the
> exact same thing. You haven't played any of the 360 or PS3 games so
> how do you know they're *yawn*? The 360 launch line up looks great to
> me.

Really? So you're trying to tell me Kameo doesn't look like an adventure game, Perfect Dark 0 doesn't look like a FPS.... that Ghost Recon 3 isn't the third in a suprisingly similar series.

I can't stand these games anymore. I'm not even really looking forward to the Twilight Princess because it looks like another game.

I am bored of games. They are all boring. The game industry has reached a peak that for every small jump we are paying more money.

Bonus will sprout rubbish regarding how PC games can be made easily on the 360 or what have you but I don't really care. Bar a few more characters on screen all I'm seeing is technical advancements... I am seeing the same old games and you can't really get new games on similar systems.

I don't believe Revolution's gonna change a thing. But I really hope it does.

Because I cannot imagine myself buying another game after Killer 7.
Mon 05/09/05 at 14:01
Regular
I mean the game industry has hit a slump and I've fallen in with it.

I want a 360 for online gaming... but that's it. Feeling dissapointed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.