GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Farewell Zelda"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/09/05 at 12:33
Regular
I had a feeling this was going to happen.

With the revolution set to introduce a DS style new way of playing games I began to wonder what lies ahead for Nintendo's main mascots.

Mario, as Miyamoto put it in a recent interview, is a "concept title"... it is the game that promotes change and therefore will thrive under new control methods and systems. Pikmin looks set to be a DS title whilst the likes of Pokemon can still easily work on the DS as well. Metroid has already been confirmed for both next generation handheld and home system whilst Donkey Kong, Wario and Kirby no longer have a defining genre anyway.

What about Zelda? In a recent interview with a radio station Miyamoto said, regarding the new Twilight Princess:

"This will be, without a doubt, the last Zelda game as you know it in its present form."

A delay makes more sense. Granted I was glad to hear Nintendo were willing to delay the game from its almost ideal position as a competitor for the X-box 360 in order to make it better. But still, from a finacial point of view, it doesn't make sense. But it seems Nintendo are being all nostaligic. For an epic Zelda game as we know it will not work on Revolution, much as one wouldn't really work on the DS.

So in theory, this is potentially the last true Zelda game ever. Miyamoto also said that this is the game he has worked most closely on in years and years.

It is very sad to say goodbye to some legendary Nintendo games. But the future holds promise.

"Mario is and always has been a concept title from his birth. We are always looking for new ways of playing with him, manipulating him, to create something new and unique. We're in the midst of preparing something special for his future, something never before seen. You'll understand when you see it that we can't quite release it right away. The new Mario game will surprise many people. Give us the benefit of the doubt. I think we'll present you with a new way to have fun. There's even a new character by his side.

"We based the Revolution around this new type of game. Mario 128 played a large role in the Revolution's conception, much like Mario 64 in it's time. But we won't just be focusing on Mario. We're working on some very impressive games which push interactivity to the max - games of a new era."

Does sound promising... doesn't it?

Dringo.
Mon 05/09/05 at 19:07
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Dringo wrote:
> I also barely post in this forum anymore... why accuse me of going on
> about the same old?

Just from memory, the only posts I remember reading of yours recently are you moaning about what Nintendo are doing, or you're saying for the 10th time that you're going to sell your Gamecube.

:(
Mon 05/09/05 at 19:07
Regular
Well a full Zelda adventure won't really work on the current DS will it...

Well I guess it will but a game like four swords would suit it more.
Mon 05/09/05 at 19:08
Regular
Cooky wrote:

> Just from memory, the only posts I remember reading of yours recently
> are you moaning about what Nintendo are doing, or you're saying for
> the 10th time that you're going to sell your Gamecube.
>
> :(

Sell my Gamecube??????

Blasphemy!

Was mildly tempted once... to save money...

I haven't even sold my N64... and I won't.
Mon 05/09/05 at 19:11
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Dringo wrote:
> Well a full Zelda adventure won't really work on the current DS will
> it...
>
> Well I guess it will but a game like four swords would suit it more.

Don't see why it wouldn't. Just cos this alternate control system is there, doesn't mean it 'has' to be used.

Is why the DS might be its own worst enemy. Has this control system that people feel needs to be used, when it doesn't. Then some games just tack on stylus stuff just for the sake of it...

hmm... not got a DS myself yet, but played NintenDogs today, and that's pretty good. One of a few titles on the machine that's interesting. Might get it when that comes out in the UK.

:)
Mon 05/09/05 at 19:13
"period drama"
Er ... no.
They've said loads of times that Zelda DS will be a whole new adventure ... and not a continuation of the Four-Swords series.

So. Thar.

And there's no reason why it won't work.
Mon 05/09/05 at 19:15
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Geoman DS looks pretty smart. Love the artistic style of it. And suppose they have tried to use the touch screen in an interesting way. Hopefully Zelda DS will be similar to that type of interaction.

Mon 05/09/05 at 19:18
Regular
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Er ... no.
> They've said loads of times that Zelda DS will be a whole new
> adventure ... and not a continuation of the Four-Swords series.

Yeah but he said it'll have a four swords feel to it and that it won't be like traditional ZElda games.
Mon 05/09/05 at 19:23
Regular
Cooky wrote:
> Geoman DS looks pretty smart. Love the artistic style of it. And
> suppose they have tried to use the touch screen in an interesting
> way. Hopefully Zelda DS will be similar to that type of
> interaction.
>
> :)

I completetly agree, if Goeman comes out in USA, I'm definatly going to pick it up.
Mon 05/09/05 at 19:25
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I personally couldn't give a crack what the DS Zelda is gonna be like. Haven't even played that GBA one.

Fuitless activity getting hyped up about games and such like. More things to life than worrying about the next installment in a gaming franchise. Think people would enjoy gaming more if they took a more casual approach to things, and tried a variety than just confining themselves to the specifics of one platform. I think it's why casual gamers are quite content, but hardcore games whinge so damn much.

I'll happily play an average games, and when I come across a really good one, I'll throughly enjoy playing it at that time. But I don't spend months of my life waiting around, wetting myself in anticipation of some games, where after such high expectations I'll probably be let down.

Mon 05/09/05 at 21:02
"The Will of D."
I don't really want another Zelda Four Swords, I prefer single player Zelda way better, especially because not everyone has friends with DS' to play the game with or would want to, so in my mind I don't want it unless it has a single player to it as well. But I would be extremly happy when they finish off Zelda DS and its jsut a good as Ocarina of Time or Majoras Mask. I don't expect it to outshine Twilight Princess, but I doubt any Zelda game can for a long long time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.