GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So, you university lot..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/08/05 at 02:40
Regular
"SOUP!"
I know the general population of SR is at going-to-University age and because most of you are sharper than your average spoons I'm sure a lot of you are diving deep into the neverending pool of governmental debt that is higher education.

Now that it's imminent (well, about 6 weeks away) how prepared/nervous/excited do you feel about the whole thing?

Potentially the only thing that worries me is getting kidnapped by the Palestinians, which isn't very likely since I bought my lead suit.

My plan was to make a lively debate about this whole issue but it's half two in the morning and I'm trying to play online poker whilst typing this, so just try and salvage whatever you can from this.

On a side-note, what the hell has happened to this damn forum? It's like the God of binary condemned this place and wiped his biblical ass all over it. Faggy n00bs lol, k.
Thu 11/08/05 at 12:16
Regular
down wrote:
> Where are all you people at uni? And what courses?

Lincoln University - Games Computing.

Providing I receive the results next week, mind.
Thu 11/08/05 at 08:07
Regular
Paradox: wrote:
> Sorry if I'm a little slack here but Postgrad would be getting a
> masters or doctorate, right?

Absolutely right. In this department, there are about 10 funded MSc students and about 10 funded PhD places per year. I share an office with three other PhD students, one from Bulgaria, one from Germany and one from China. They are all very talented mathematicians, which kinda makes me the "office idiot", which is fun in some ways. Thankfully we all have different areas of interest, so its hard for people to spot me as the weak student :D Ever since finishing my masters I've been waiting for people to figure it out, but a year on and nobody's caught me yet.

Returning to Aliboy's question, if you can get the right department, one with high enough status for a decent set of funding for their students, then its likely that if you get a place with them, you'll automatically get the funding.
Thu 11/08/05 at 04:19
Regular
Aww, I want to start uni again.

In a couple of months I'll have finished my MSc and that'll be it, over :^(
Thu 11/08/05 at 02:07
I can't be bothered with a gap year.

It's not going to teach me that much, and will probably cost a lot more than I could afford. And I can't be bothered with that fund-raising stuff - I'm sure it will be a wonderfully educative and enriching experience, and if I did go straight to uni then I'd probably never get round to doing it again, but meh, at the moment there are more reasons not to do it than to do it.

I want to save money as well, for a crappy car and parts, but also for uni. Depends where I want to go, but if I do end up going to Oxbridge, from what others have told me, I probably won't have enough time for a job. If I went to Glasgow, then I wouldn't really have to worry about money, but anywhere else I'd need to think.

Where are all you people at uni? And what courses?
Thu 11/08/05 at 01:34
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Ant wrote:
> I'm taking a gap year.
>
> But not paying the extra fees.
>
> Owned.

I share your happiness.
Wed 10/08/05 at 22:23
Regular
"SOUP!"
Sorry if I'm a little slack here but Postgrad would be getting a masters or doctorate, right?
Wed 10/08/05 at 08:52
Regular
AliBoy wrote:
> or take out another loan to go back and do some post grad studies...

I have to recommend it (the postgrad studies bit, not the loan). I'm just about to finish my first year of a PhD and have greatly enjoyed it so far. Its very different to the undergrad stuff and, despite being more disorganized, feels like there is a larger goal at the end of everything.

As for the loan part, many postgrad positions are funded. I don't know what subject you are doing, or at what university, but at this university for example (Bath), there is the opportunity for an EPSRC grant (many other universities have this too) as well as other funding possibilities, often providing a grant of £10,500+ per year, tax free. Whilst its not exactly high paid, its better than the unfunded alternative.
Wed 10/08/05 at 08:08
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Hedfix wrote:
> whilst attempting to conform.

Hmm, you've met a far different bunch of students than I have. Conformity was the last thing on their mind. Of course, if you mean bettering yourself by gaining an education, then so be it.
Wed 10/08/05 at 02:02
Regular
"8==="
Peeing your life away in a shallow way whilst attempting to conform.

You're not missing out on much Sheepy.
Wed 10/08/05 at 01:45
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I missed out on it all :(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.