GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Live 8 - The Best Bits?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/07/05 at 21:36
Regular
What are you Live 8 best bits?

I've been watching since Snoop Dogg, but not sure how much I missed before that.

Top of the list is Velvet Revolver. Bough the album today as a spur of the moment thing, hadn't heard a single track off it, but it had been recommended to me.

By their performance tonight, I won't be disappointed - I thought they were amazing.

Second is Joss Stones drummer. A huge black bloke with a funky hat just going for it like mad - and thoroughly enjoying himself by the looks of things - and fair play to him!

Third - The Killers. Can't believe they only did one track but what they did was spot on!
Sun 03/07/05 at 15:09
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Stryke wrote:
> Sibs wrote:
> 'Sir' Paul
> threatening not to play unless he could open and close
> proceedings...
>
> --
>
> Hate to damage your cynic-shell, but he did that because Bob Geldof
> asked him to, as the first guy he contacted. But it's probably a
> conspiracy. I hear he had an African kid in his room that he kicks to
> relieve stress.

Unless I'm very much mistaken Geldof didn't ask McCartney to throw a hissy fit and threaten not to play at all when it looked like someone else might get the top spot...
Sun 03/07/05 at 15:05
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I don't doubt that overall it was a 'good' thing in that it has raised awareness, just like the MakePovertyHistory campaign, what I do doubt is that the artists there were doing it purely out of good intentions, and I doubt they'd be willing to put aside any of their extravagances to donate that money to cancelling debts.

To be fair though I think Geldof is genuine, but most of the others just seem like celebrities on ego trips.
Sun 03/07/05 at 14:44
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
It's easier and cooler to be cynical about things that lots of people enjyoed! I hate everything! What's the point of anything? I hate you!

*slam*

Seriously, can it be considered as anything but a damn good effort and a step in the right direction? Sing self-promotion all you want, but I doubt there were many people on that stage who actually needed a hike in record sales, y'know, being some of the biggest-selling artists of all time and all.

The bits I saw I liked, and I fully understand the kind of bill they had -in order to generate as much publicity as possible, they needed to get the biggest-selling bands on board, which just happens to be the kind of people who have the widest range of fans, which will always be the blandest.

Shame I missed The Who and McCartney, wouldn't have minded seeing them.
Sun 03/07/05 at 14:36
Regular
REM. Fantastic.

I got burnt even though it wasn't sunny. Not so fantastic.
Sun 03/07/05 at 14:19
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Best bits:
Robbie Williams - he knows how to work the crowd.
Pink Floyd - just because.
Coldplay - I'm not really a fan, but he can actually sing live.

It was still pretty much a load of pap though.
Sun 03/07/05 at 14:14
Regular
"It's so,so cold"
The whole point of the concerts was to raise awareness about poverty and also to some extent to show some form of solidarity in the fight to end poverty so what got me pisssed of was the fact that there were still people waving their country's flag.
The fact that the situation has got so bad that this type of thing has been needed to try and be a catalyst for change should make you ashamed of your country and as a British citizen I am ashamed.Instead some people thing I will show my pride about my country by waving a flag at a concert which highlights poverty that my country is not doing enough about because this concert is happening.
Sun 03/07/05 at 13:58
"slightlyshortertagl"
I went, and to be honest I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have.

Too packed, too hot, too cattle-like at the front of the GA section (about 100m from the stage).

U2, Snoop, Robbie and the finale were my personal favourities.

I spent the rest of the way chanting 'Hay Jude' out loud.

Shame the t-shirts sold out before I could get one :-(
Sun 03/07/05 at 13:52
Regular
It was pretty clear that Robbie Williams was only there for self promotion, he didn't even stick around for the final song. Hell even Mariah Carey who's well documented as being completly mental, stuck around. It was blatantly obvious that the arrogant rimtard doesn't like sharing the stage with anyone else.
Sun 03/07/05 at 13:46
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Sibs wrote:
> No-one else think it was just a shameless act of self promotion for
> already rich artists...?

Yeah, I do.
But if I take off my cynical cap for a moment, I suppose (at a pinch) it has raised awareness levels. But I've little doubt most of the performers were thinking either, "I can relaunch my career" or "This is our big chance".
Sun 03/07/05 at 13:34
Regular
Sibs wrote:
> No-one else think it was just a shameless act of self promotion for
> already rich artists...?
>
> To be fair I didn't watch it. But the things I've read just reek of
> popstar egos in their bubble of fame and fortune... 'Sir' Paul
> threatening not to play unless he could open and close proceedings...

--

Hate to damage your cynic-shell, but he did that because Bob Geldof asked him to, as the first guy he contacted. But it's probably a conspiracy. I hear he had an African kid in his room that he kicks to relieve stress.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.