GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Service Pack 2 troubles."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/08/04 at 11:03
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Thought I'd set up a little Service Pack 2 troubles thread, so that we can all place our problems in one place, and hopefully enable people to find a solution quicker.

Problem 1 + solution

I downloaded and installed service pack 2 yesterday; all went well until it had all been installed. Now the system hangs when I start-up (no icons are clickable and hovering the mouse over the task bar shows the egg timer), and on some occasions the screen will be covered in colourful dots.

The problem seems to be with a file called 'drwtsn32.exe', which can be found in the 'Processes' panel when you hit Ctrl, Alt & Delete. Ending this process seems to get rid of the hick-up and enable to computer to run as normal. Clicking on 'Start' then 'Run' and entering 'drwtsn32' enables the program to start running again without any problems.

Problem 2 + solution

The new Windows security centre reports that my virus protection and firewall are not enabled. It states that Norton reports that it is installed but its status is unknown. I have both the Firewall and Antivirus turned on and working, but the Security Centre fails to acknowledge this.

[URL]http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html[/URL] and you'll see that Norton's software is designed not to let other software tamper with it.
Thu 04/11/04 at 08:30
Regular
I have just installed Windows XP Pro and been on Microsoft’s website to get the express important updates. but every time i boot up the PC, its busy chug away doing something when it should be idling.
Using Ctrl+Alt+Del to display the task manager the Dr.Watson (drwtsn32.exe) is taking up 80%+ of the cpu usage..
If I end the program everything goes back to normal 1-2% cpu usage

Bryan
Sun 05/09/04 at 17:09
Regular
You can order the CD of SP2: [URL]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx[/URL]

It also comes in this issue of PC Format, Plus and other mags.
Sun 05/09/04 at 11:17
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Norton are soon to release a patch which allows it to work properly with the security center, and AVG works perfectly with it. I'm afraid that beyond that I wouldn't know.
Sun 05/09/04 at 10:59
Regular
cjh wrote:
> be§§ant™ wrote:
> in the control panel theres an extra button 'security centre' which
> provides you with a firewall, anti-virus and automatic updates (auto
> update was already avalible.
>
> Just to let you know, Service Pack 2 doesn't include an anti-virus
> program, just a moniter for it. For example, if you don't have any
> anti-virus software, it'll suggest you get some. If you have
> anti-virus software, it'll keep tabs on it, weather its enabled or
> not, reminding you to update it, etc.

I enjoy that feature, before the only time i would update AV software was when i managed to some how get a trojan.
What AV's does it support?
Sun 05/09/04 at 10:22
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
be§§ant™ wrote:
> in the control panel theres an extra button 'security centre' which
> provides you with a firewall, anti-virus and automatic updates (auto
> update was already avalible.

Just to let you know, Service Pack 2 doesn't include an anti-virus program, just a moniter for it. For example, if you don't have any anti-virus software, it'll suggest you get some. If you have anti-virus software, it'll keep tabs on it, weather its enabled or not, reminding you to update it, etc.
Tue 31/08/04 at 10:55
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Couldn't get back on the download site last night as it was busy. Giving it another go now. It seems to be downloading alright now. Fingers crossed.
Tue 31/08/04 at 10:06
Regular
It should.

The reason why it was saying that is because SP2 changes the "boot screen" to just "Microsoft Windows XP" with the progress bar underneath it. Instead of the "Home" or "Proffesional" that it had before.
Mon 30/08/04 at 23:15
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Had to edit the boot.ini file to remove the multiple boot screens and the extra part that style xp added onto them.

Hopefully it will work now.
Mon 30/08/04 at 23:06
Regular
AliBoy wrote:
> Seems it has something to do with editing the boot screens using style
> XP. Something which has been annoying me for sometime.
>
> Will need to fix that first I guess.

Ah yes, things like styleXP probably screw with what SP2 is trying to change?

I'm not sure, just remove/turn off style XP whilst you are installing SP2.
Mon 30/08/04 at 23:05
Regular
I got SP2 from download.com

[URL]http://www.download.com/Windows-XP-Service-Pack-2/3000-2098-10308947.html?tag=lst-0-3[/URL]

It's the whole standalone exe, so you just have to run it.

It's 266mb or so, but it's nice being able to get it from a place other then the Microsoft :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.