GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Service Pack 2 troubles."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/08/04 at 11:03
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Thought I'd set up a little Service Pack 2 troubles thread, so that we can all place our problems in one place, and hopefully enable people to find a solution quicker.

Problem 1 + solution

I downloaded and installed service pack 2 yesterday; all went well until it had all been installed. Now the system hangs when I start-up (no icons are clickable and hovering the mouse over the task bar shows the egg timer), and on some occasions the screen will be covered in colourful dots.

The problem seems to be with a file called 'drwtsn32.exe', which can be found in the 'Processes' panel when you hit Ctrl, Alt & Delete. Ending this process seems to get rid of the hick-up and enable to computer to run as normal. Clicking on 'Start' then 'Run' and entering 'drwtsn32' enables the program to start running again without any problems.

Problem 2 + solution

The new Windows security centre reports that my virus protection and firewall are not enabled. It states that Norton reports that it is installed but its status is unknown. I have both the Firewall and Antivirus turned on and working, but the Security Centre fails to acknowledge this.

[URL]http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html[/URL] and you'll see that Norton's software is designed not to let other software tamper with it.
Wed 25/08/04 at 22:02
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cjh wrote:
> When you say should, do you mean available now, or available
> soon? I've got all the updates, but the security center still says
> that the firewall and antivirus can't be verified.

Should as in soon, htough they'll probably push users to update to 2004
Wed 25/08/04 at 22:17
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I've got XP Pro, I need to backup stuff first however before, I don't want any disasters...
Thu 26/08/04 at 21:25
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
phi11ip wrote:
> I've got XP Pro, I need to backup stuff first however before, I don't
> want any disasters...

I installed SP2 using the Download (266MB) and have had Zero trouble with it
Thu 26/08/04 at 21:37
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Just installed the Update download of SP2 for XPHome on my laptop and again, no issues at all, everything works perfectly! THough find it odd that they have decided to do away with the Pro/Hom text on both boot screens?
Thu 26/08/04 at 21:43
Regular
What other additions are there in SP2 that are worth the upgrade, if you don't use IE6 or OE6, and have a firewall and have already installed the required patches already? I know there's added functionality for the Tablet PC edition, in effect Tablet PC Edition 2003, but what about for Home and Pro users?
Thu 26/08/04 at 21:45
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I think SP2 re-designs the underlaying OS in a way which prevents many of the current viruses out there from taken any hold of your system.

I'd recommend downloading it, even if you don't use IE or OE.
Thu 26/08/04 at 21:47
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Tyla wrote:
> Should as in soon, though they'll probably push users to update to
> 2004.

Thought I replied to this this morning!! hhmm.

Anyway, as the 2005 edition of Internet Security should be coming out sometime soon, I may just go for that when the time comes. If I remember, Symantec launched their 2004 series back in Sept/Oct 2003?
Thu 26/08/04 at 21:47
Regular
Is there some sort of complete list that shows EVERYTHING it changes/adds to the installation?
Thu 26/08/04 at 21:57
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I'm sure if you do a search on the Microsoft website([URL]http://www.microsoft.com[/URL]), you'd find the press release which details what Service Pack 2 does. No doubt a search on google ([URL]http://www.google.com[/URL]) will find somebody's done a review / comparison of Service Pack 2 as well.
Thu 26/08/04 at 22:14
Regular
Yeah, I know. I was hoping someone would do the work for me though, as I've done for others on many occasions... *sigh*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.