GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Service Pack 2 troubles."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/08/04 at 11:03
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Thought I'd set up a little Service Pack 2 troubles thread, so that we can all place our problems in one place, and hopefully enable people to find a solution quicker.

Problem 1 + solution

I downloaded and installed service pack 2 yesterday; all went well until it had all been installed. Now the system hangs when I start-up (no icons are clickable and hovering the mouse over the task bar shows the egg timer), and on some occasions the screen will be covered in colourful dots.

The problem seems to be with a file called 'drwtsn32.exe', which can be found in the 'Processes' panel when you hit Ctrl, Alt & Delete. Ending this process seems to get rid of the hick-up and enable to computer to run as normal. Clicking on 'Start' then 'Run' and entering 'drwtsn32' enables the program to start running again without any problems.

Problem 2 + solution

The new Windows security centre reports that my virus protection and firewall are not enabled. It states that Norton reports that it is installed but its status is unknown. I have both the Firewall and Antivirus turned on and working, but the Security Centre fails to acknowledge this.

[URL]http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html[/URL] and you'll see that Norton's software is designed not to let other software tamper with it.
Wed 25/08/04 at 11:03
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Thought I'd set up a little Service Pack 2 troubles thread, so that we can all place our problems in one place, and hopefully enable people to find a solution quicker.

Problem 1 + solution

I downloaded and installed service pack 2 yesterday; all went well until it had all been installed. Now the system hangs when I start-up (no icons are clickable and hovering the mouse over the task bar shows the egg timer), and on some occasions the screen will be covered in colourful dots.

The problem seems to be with a file called 'drwtsn32.exe', which can be found in the 'Processes' panel when you hit Ctrl, Alt & Delete. Ending this process seems to get rid of the hick-up and enable to computer to run as normal. Clicking on 'Start' then 'Run' and entering 'drwtsn32' enables the program to start running again without any problems.

Problem 2 + solution

The new Windows security centre reports that my virus protection and firewall are not enabled. It states that Norton reports that it is installed but its status is unknown. I have both the Firewall and Antivirus turned on and working, but the Security Centre fails to acknowledge this.

[URL]http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html[/URL] and you'll see that Norton's software is designed not to let other software tamper with it.
Wed 25/08/04 at 11:49
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Which version of NIS? I use 2004 Corp/Pro with no problems what so ever. XP Security Center aknowledges that Norton is controllin gmy Firewall and AV.

Since installing SP2 over 2 weeks ago, I've had no issues what at all. My system even seems to run a lot more stable than before.

Only application to fail was StyleXP 2.01 which can be updated atthe TGTSoft website to 2.2 for free.

Only advise, TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATES!! Mine went and reinstalled MSNM again which has really annoyed me as there is no way of removing it!
Wed 25/08/04 at 12:10
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Tyla wrote:
> Which version of NIS?

I've got the 2003 standard version running on XP Home (the one which inclues AntiVirus, Personal Firewall, Privacy Control, Spam Alert and Parental Control).
Wed 25/08/04 at 12:23
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cjh wrote:
> Tyla wrote:
> Which version of NIS?
>
> I've got the 2003 standard version running on XP Home (the one which
> inclues AntiVirus, Personal Firewall, Privacy Control, Spam Alert and
> Parental Control).

That's your problem. There should be an update through Liveupdate which fixes any issues with SP2 (That's if your subscription hasn't expiered)
Wed 25/08/04 at 13:51
Regular
Solution: Don't use Windows.

:-)
Wed 25/08/04 at 19:01
Regular
Automatic update still hasnt downloaded sp2 for me.
Wed 25/08/04 at 19:11
Regular
Scope wrote:
> Automatic update still hasnt downloaded sp2 for me.

I downloaded the Network version 266MB, it was worth it (Mainly because i have to load it onto 4 Machines). Only took 1 Hour 45 Mins.
Wed 25/08/04 at 19:29
Regular
"Freeola Support"
Since I use 2000 at home I am considering going for XP SP2, the enhancements to the browser are useful and do work, as I found out when I was infected by an exploit through Winamp and mIRC my internet explorer did not stop this neither did my anti virus but XP SP2 didn't.
Wed 25/08/04 at 20:06
Regular
Afternoon wrote:
> Since I use 2000 at home I am considering going for XP SP2, the
> enhancements to the browser are useful and do work, as I found out
> when I was infected by an exploit through Winamp and mIRC my internet
> explorer did not stop this neither did my anti virus but XP SP2
> didn't.

Sorry, but that did not make sense.
Wed 25/08/04 at 21:16
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Tyla wrote:
> That's your problem. There should be an update through Liveupdate
> which fixes any issues with SP2.

When you say should, do you mean available now, or available soon? I've got all the updates, but the security center still says that the firewall and antivirus can't be verified.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.