GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows XP help........"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/04/04 at 11:07
Regular
"?????"
After retrieving some files off a disk for a mate i got a virus on my poota.....have got shot of the virus but all the writing on the desk top & everywhere else is all in symbols!!.....anybody know how to put it right??
Tue 20/04/04 at 15:34
Regular
"you've got a beard"
like i said, i've only ever had hassles from it. although if it'd been on a machine i'd built myself it wouldn't have been filled with all the crash-causing junk that those machines were so i'm not blaming XP (well, not entirely) or saying it's bad, just that it's not for me.
Tue 20/04/04 at 15:23
Regular
XP is quite stable.. only hanged a few times cos of driver problems and such.
Tue 20/04/04 at 14:46
Regular
"you've got a beard"
cookie monster wrote:
> Very_Metal wrote:
> buy a new hardrive
> install windows 2000
> retrieve your work from the previous drive
> throw XP away
> be happy.
>
> Ha, 2000 is inferior to XP.

depends on your point of view. XP is juuuust about patched enough to be good now, but it's FAR too weak and does too much stuff in the background for my liking. i was helping a friend fix his machine yesterday and the slightest large task made XP hang quite badly (although granted, i think he'd mucked about with some important stuff that wouldn't have helped) but i've had fairly crappy experiences of XP on several occasions, nothing i'd consider reliable enough to trust.
i've only had 2000 crash on me twice in a year, only one of those required a reboot as well, the other time i just booted a process and it was fine again.

if you're not bothered about games and want stability then 2k is the way to go, otherwise get XP, but get ALL the service packs/patches immediately.
Tue 20/04/04 at 14:24
Regular
"SOUP!"
95 rocks.
Tue 20/04/04 at 13:46
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Very_Metal wrote:
> buy a new hardrive
> install windows 2000
> retrieve your work from the previous drive
> throw XP away
> be happy.

Ha, 2000 is inferior to XP.
Tue 20/04/04 at 13:29
Regular
"you've got a beard"
buy a new hardrive
install windows 2000
retrieve your work from the previous drive
throw XP away
be happy.
Tue 20/04/04 at 12:03
Regular
Try going into safe mode. It may revert the fonts back to original so you can read where you're clicking.
Tue 20/04/04 at 11:56
Regular
"?????"
would try that, but that's all symbols too!! can't read anything like that on there.
Tue 20/04/04 at 11:51
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Right-click Desktop > Properties > Appearance > Advanced > Change font there.
Tue 20/04/04 at 11:07
Regular
"?????"
After retrieving some files off a disk for a mate i got a virus on my poota.....have got shot of the virus but all the writing on the desk top & everywhere else is all in symbols!!.....anybody know how to put it right??

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.