GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bubba Ho-Tep"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/04/04 at 08:18
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
The most imaginative movie I have seen in a long, long time.

Is it a horror? Yes. Is it a satire? Yes. A character study? Yes. A Drama? Yes. It’s all these and more.

Elvis and JFK are in a nursing home, aging icons from yesterday. This alone makes it a movie worth watching IMHO. Throw a soul eating “good ‘ol boy” Egyptian mummy into the mix and it gets interesting.
The question of what use we when we get older is asked time and time again. At the start, “Elvis” is bitter and twisted, unable to get an erection and feeling less than a man because of it. Weird things start happening, large bugs are found in the home, people die more frequently. Its here that we are introduced to Jack Kennedy, a black man that claims he is assassinated ex president John F Kennedy, offering “they dyed me black” by way of explanation “I have a bag of sand in my head for brains”.

This element of the movie appeals to me most. Are the characters who they say they are? We have all seen the photos of JFK on the slab, hence “Jack” in this movie is probably not what he says he is, but rather a delusional old man trying to justify a point for his existence. The Elvis back story and reason he ends up in a nursing home is far more convincing, but the question remains, is this the “real” Elvis, or is it again, someone trying to make themselves into something they were not.

The chemistry between the two leads is excellent. Bruce Campbell and Ossie Davis do a wonderful job of bringing the characters to life and making you feel for them. It’s funny. Its sad, it’s tense, it’s heart warming.

When you finally see it in the video shop, don’t assume it’s a straight to dvd job because its been unsuccessful. It’s had terrible distribution problems in the states. In my opinion, it’s an instant cult classic, and may go the way of “The Shawshank Redemption” (even though they are two totally different beasts) in the way that people will watch the movie when they are feeling down and lonely, to cheer themselves up, and root for two old fogies on the screen, kicking mummy ass while making you laugh.

(Elvis Voice and sneer) “Thank You Very Much “
Mon 28/06/04 at 12:32
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
This movie will be soo good. As soon as it gets here that is.

Hurrah for muiti region dvd players!
Thu 24/06/04 at 11:11
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Bejam wrote:
> I saw it a few weeks ago.
> Not really much substance to it, but the premise alone is fantastic,
> plus it has some good quotable lines and Bruce frickin' Cambell in
> it.

Substance is overrated anyway. :)
Thu 24/06/04 at 11:02
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I saw it a few weeks ago.
Not really much substance to it, but the premise alone is fantastic, plus it has some good quotable lines and Bruce frickin' Cambell in it.
Wed 23/06/04 at 23:44
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Anyone else seen it yet?
Tue 18/05/04 at 08:09
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
CDouch wrote:
> Now let's go and see if it's as great as I expected and hoped it
> would be...

It is.
Mon 17/05/04 at 17:47
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
The Region 1 DVD has a commentary by Bruce Campbell as Elvis.

Ordered, been waiting for this one
Mon 17/05/04 at 17:31
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Well my copy came today which was a nice surprise as it's not due out until a week on Tuesday. Playusa must know it's my birthday tomorrow.

Now let's go and see if it's as great as I expected and hoped it would be...
Fri 30/04/04 at 20:52
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
POP

Whoops sorry, didn't realise this was here.
Tue 20/04/04 at 13:00
Regular
"Notable"
[I] it's a trick...get an axe
Tue 20/04/04 at 12:52
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Looks fine but £20.00+ for delivery at end of May.

*Gulps*

Think I'll risk waiting a while see if I can get it cheaper.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.