GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"E-Commerce Help!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/04/04 at 19:46
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
A friend of mine is trying to setup an internet presence for his real world shop... Amoungst other things he is after the oppourtunity to sell his stock online.

He asked me to take a look into it on the basis that I know how to turn on a computer (in much the same way my parents believe that for the same reason I can fix broken DVD players and TV's).

Thing is, I know bvgger all about such things, I'm figuring that one of those easy setup all in one packages (e.g. Websell) may be the best place for me to start? Since it introduces the idea of stock handling, package/mail handling and credit/debit card use...

But to be honest, I really don't have a clue and am completly whistling in dark.

Does anyone here know of a good place for me to start learning about e-commerce? - Any help would be feckking amazing! :)
Thu 15/04/04 at 19:46
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
A friend of mine is trying to setup an internet presence for his real world shop... Amoungst other things he is after the oppourtunity to sell his stock online.

He asked me to take a look into it on the basis that I know how to turn on a computer (in much the same way my parents believe that for the same reason I can fix broken DVD players and TV's).

Thing is, I know bvgger all about such things, I'm figuring that one of those easy setup all in one packages (e.g. Websell) may be the best place for me to start? Since it introduces the idea of stock handling, package/mail handling and credit/debit card use...

But to be honest, I really don't have a clue and am completly whistling in dark.

Does anyone here know of a good place for me to start learning about e-commerce? - Any help would be feckking amazing! :)
Thu 15/04/04 at 20:18
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Maybe for a small site it might be worth looking into using PayPal to manage everything.

It's far far cheaper and it's secure, something that you may not be able to get if you try and host a system on your own webspace.
Fri 16/04/04 at 11:02
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Yeah, paypal and/or ebay are his best bets. Secure credit card transactions are very difficult to do properly.
Fri 16/04/04 at 13:37
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
phi11ip wrote:
> Maybe for a small site it might be worth looking into using PayPal to
> manage everything.
>
> It's far far cheaper and it's secure, something that you may not be
> able to get if you try and host a system on your own webspace.

Can pay-pal handle debit and credit cards? When purchasing does the pay-pal system act differently to say Amazon's or Play.com's system?

I should probably explain, this isnt a site for a company I'm interested in setting up, its an existing (small) business with a couple of retail sites around the SE.

They already use the internet for communication with other businesses, but they wanted a simple shop setup for dealing with the (generally non-computer savvy) general public.

I appreicate this is going to involve a lot of web work on my side to figure out how the market works, I know already a lot of ISP's offer instant setup type systems providing al the basic requirements, stock database, parcel management, credit card control, etc...

It was just in case any of you web-development experts had had any experience in setting up real-world sites which were targeted at selling online?
Fri 16/04/04 at 13:52
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
It's going to cost a lot to get a secure site up and running.

www.symbiant.com is a site I know does all the secure stuff for you but it's pretty pricy.

If you want something like Amazon or Play you're going to have to invest several hundred thousand pounds into it, due to how vast they are. They store your credit card details (which requires an incredibly secure server) and there are many other smaller things that really wouldn't be possible unless you had your own secure server.

Something like Paypal however would just allows you to put a 'buy now' button next to products. Paypal is secure and it takes a small percentage off of each transaction. I know it's about 36p off of £4.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.