GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sharing Broadband using AdHoc"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/04/04 at 21:41
Regular
"Nobody Home"
I have set up an AdHoc Wireless Network and, despite doing nothing, I think it works. I can ping the other PC, etc and get minimal packet loss.

Anyway. I will have my broadband shortly. How do I share the connection.

I read somewhere that all I need to do it right click the connection in Network Connections, Click advanced then select for it to share.

Just to see if it would work, I selected my 56k connection and told it to share. Went to the laptop its connected to downstairs, opened Internet Explorer and it was telling me to dial up. I then tried to hunt down an option that said something like connect using my wireless connection or something, but no joy. I was expecting to find anything.

When I get my broadband, what do I need to do to share it over my AdHoc Network as set up by using: http://www.microsoft.com/ windowsxp/expertzone/columns/ bowman/02april08.asp as a tutorial?

Just for curiosities sake, i'd also like to know how to share the 56k connection before I get broadband? I dont like to be beaten that much and google leads me to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

Dan.
Wed 14/04/04 at 21:41
Regular
"Nobody Home"
I have set up an AdHoc Wireless Network and, despite doing nothing, I think it works. I can ping the other PC, etc and get minimal packet loss.

Anyway. I will have my broadband shortly. How do I share the connection.

I read somewhere that all I need to do it right click the connection in Network Connections, Click advanced then select for it to share.

Just to see if it would work, I selected my 56k connection and told it to share. Went to the laptop its connected to downstairs, opened Internet Explorer and it was telling me to dial up. I then tried to hunt down an option that said something like connect using my wireless connection or something, but no joy. I was expecting to find anything.

When I get my broadband, what do I need to do to share it over my AdHoc Network as set up by using: http://www.microsoft.com/ windowsxp/expertzone/columns/ bowman/02april08.asp as a tutorial?

Just for curiosities sake, i'd also like to know how to share the 56k connection before I get broadband? I dont like to be beaten that much and google leads me to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

Dan.
Wed 14/04/04 at 21:46
"I love yo... lamp."
Just run the new network wizard. It will allow you to set up Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) from with in it.
Wed 14/04/04 at 21:52
Regular
"Nobody Home"
Ok, so basically I will lose what I have already set up?
Wed 14/04/04 at 22:31
"I love yo... lamp."
But you have not set up anything. The adapters are just picking each other up. You actually need to set up a network at this point so that you can share things like files and folders, as well as the internet connection.
Wed 14/04/04 at 22:45
Regular
"Nobody Home"
Right... let me get this right and could someone please fill in the gaps 8):

I have tried setting up an AdHoc, got it working, but not doing anything, so no ICS set up or File Sharing/Printers, etc. I have a Desktop on XP Pro and a Laptop on Home.

I receive my broadband shortly. Before installing it, I will remove all Networks I failed at setting up, plus I will remove all Dial up rubbish from the laptop. I will then recreate a Wireless Network/ Then I install the broadband and get it working.

Then I run the Network Wizard, Found at Start>Control Panel>Network Connections>Set up a small or home/office network.

I run this Network Wizard.
I select my Wireless Network.
I tell it that my connection is the direct one to the internet and that other PCs use me to connect.
I then select the broadband connection.
I tell it to determine my appropriate connections.
I name my PC and workgroup.
Click next and it all sets itself up.

Thats the host completed isn't it?

It gives me an option at the end to choose what to use to get the network on to the Clients PC (the Laptop on Home), which does I use?

Setting up the Client PC:

No Idea, except it must be something to do with the disk it ask me to use at the end of the host.

PLEASE HELP :D!
Thu 15/04/04 at 18:28
Regular
"Nobody Home"
bump****
Thu 15/04/04 at 19:12
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
danieldone wrote:
> Thats the host completed isn't it?

Yes.

> It gives me an option at the end to choose what to use to get the
> network on to the Clients PC (the Laptop on Home), which does I use?
>
> Setting up the Client PC:
>
> No Idea, except it must be something to do with the disk it ask me to
> use at the end of the host.

You dont need to make a disk as both computers run xp, after setting up the desktop pc wizard just run the same wizard on the laptop and everything should work.

I say should because sometimes the wizard can be a spaz.
Thu 15/04/04 at 19:19
Regular
"Nobody Home"
well, i tried running the wizard on the XP HOME PC, but it only showed disconnected Wired LANs, not my Wireless Network?

Ill keep this topic alive and post if I still have problems after installing my broadband.
Thu 15/04/04 at 20:18
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Have you enabled the XP in-built firewall? I had to turn it off to be able set my Wi-Fi connection up.
Thu 15/04/04 at 22:09
Regular
"Nobody Home"
I think i've managed to do it now, but I wont no until i have my broadband. Easy when you know how. Just disable the Wired LAN and it worked.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.