GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Playstation 2 is just too expensive...."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/04/01 at 19:02
Regular
I, and many other people would agree that the PS2 is way to expensive. Ok, so the problem lies within Sony selling it to the dealers such as Special Reserve for big prices, but it is still a rip off for what it is. It plays DVD's, Playstation games, and music CD's, but for that same amount of money I can buy a cheap PC, which I would say is better, since it plays games and you can do your homework on it!

I really wanna get a PS2 but I simply cannot afford it, and even if I could, I would not pay that much for it. I will probably end up getting a PSone or a Dreamcast instead, coz that IS value for money.

What do U think?
Thu 12/04/01 at 19:02
I, and many other people would agree that the PS2 is way to expensive. Ok, so the problem lies within Sony selling it to the dealers such as Special Reserve for big prices, but it is still a rip off for what it is. It plays DVD's, Playstation games, and music CD's, but for that same amount of money I can buy a cheap PC, which I would say is better, since it plays games and you can do your homework on it!

I really wanna get a PS2 but I simply cannot afford it, and even if I could, I would not pay that much for it. I will probably end up getting a PSone or a Dreamcast instead, coz that IS value for money.

What do U think?
Thu 12/04/01 at 19:14
u dont even have a psx?!?!?
Thu 12/04/01 at 19:48
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
PS2 plays DVD's, PS1 games, PS2 games, Music cds. For £300. A PC could cost that but you wont get one for £300 that can play DVD's as the Drives cost £100 depending on the speed. The games will look and play about as good as a N64. To get anything that will play all the top, and new games out there you need to spend at least a £1000 to play them well.£500 may get you a alright machine that can play games but you wont be able to use all the high graphic settings, and would need to upgrade. The PS2 is well worth the money, you dont need a seperate DVD player, you can chuck your tatty old PS1 away, it plays PS2 games, it does what a console should do and a little more.
Thu 12/04/01 at 20:00
Regular
"You've upset me"
The PS2 is expesnsive yes. But think about what you're getting for your three hundred quid.

A DVD player, a CD player and a great games machine. If the PS2 was meant to be sold cheaply it wouldn't be as good, would it? It stands to reason, if Sony were *trying* to sell to everyone just to win the console wars, their machine wouldn't be as good as it is and so the price would have been reduced... greatly

We've all heard the expressiong "value for money" Well that is exactly what you get with the PS2. It has some of the best games of this decade and it's only about 4 months into it's life! If Sony can keep up this high standard... Well I don't what will happen, but I'm damn sure it'll be good!

We, as a gamesplaying community, are lucky to be alive at this time. We have some of the best games the industry has ever seen and they are about to get better. The console wars which are very annoying however do have one *major* advantage. With each company trying to beat the other the quality of the games HAS to increase. And seeing how good they are can you imagine how good they're going to get?

So basically what I'm saying Swish is this: The PS2 may be costly but it's definitely worth every penny!
Thu 12/04/01 at 20:10
Ok, ok. So I may of exaggerated when I said that its not worth it. I suppose you do get what you pay for. But not too many people have £300 to spend, which is what im getting at. It is expensive, but you do get it back in entertainment, even if you do have to invest alot of money into it.

I have an old original Playstation, which is why i want a PS2 - the graphics on the old PS are good, but they arn't really great, or nearly as good as a PS2 or even a Dreamcast, I just wish they (PS2's) were cheaper, thats all...
Thu 12/04/01 at 20:25
"High polygon count"
£300 is a lot of money, yes - but it's not an absolute fortune.

The PS1 cost exactly the same when it was released almost 6 years ago; considering the way everything else has gone up, you could say that it's effectively cheaper than the original PS1.

Also, when PS1 was first on the market, practically every new game was £44.99 - with a few exceptions, PS2 games are also cheaper, at an average price of £39.99.
Thu 12/04/01 at 20:42
Whoa - I didn't realise the PS1 cost that much 6 years ago. I remember the games costing that much as well, now.

No, 300 squid isn't alot if you earn money (via a job, obviously), but for kids who dont - such as myself, £300 can be alot to just spend in one go on one thing, especially if you've spent a few months gathering it up.
Thu 12/04/01 at 20:49
"High polygon count"
I agree, it is a lot of money if you are saving pocket money etc.

Still, I hope you manage to get one. Best of luck!
Fri 13/04/01 at 00:53
Regular
This may not be true,

But I read on a psx2 hardware forum that the psx2 are being sold at a loss by Sony, costing more to make and ship than Sony get back.

Its a cracking piece of hardware, which still looks like a bargain to me !

Fri 13/04/01 at 03:12
I heard that as well.
It is a really great piece of Hardware to have, and Sony do make a loss out of every unit as it has not been rushed - it has been built properly and how it shows!

I was lucky enough to have one on launch day, but I was not here that day! I had to go and get it at the Parcel Force Office, but once I got it back and set it up, it played wonderfully! It takes a bit of time to work out how to play the PS2 properly, but it is worth the money!

The bottom line is that Sony do not make money on the Consoles, but they make money on the Games!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.