GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Should consoles play DVD films and music CD's?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/04/01 at 18:42
Regular
Are we coming to the end of good gaming because companies are adding too much to game consoles?
I’m not sure about all of you, but when I buy a games console I buy it too play games and nothing else.

Years ago, people would go to their local game store to buy a games console. The console would be a something where you insert games into it, and a controller or two and that’s basically it. Now days, this has changed, but it is for the better or not?
Some may agree others will disagree with me when I say that the way consoles have changed over the years is for the worse. Obviously it hasn’t all gone down hill. The good things with the changes have been mostly the ability to have much, much better graphics and sound quality. All of which change the way we play games. On the other hand there have been some changes that I have not been to keen on.

I have been fortunate to buy a Dreamcast and a Playstation2. I wasn’t going to buy either because the price is, IMO, ridiculous! I really did want the two consoles, as I knew that they had superb games on them, not for the ability to play DVD’s or music CD’s. I all ready have a CD player and also had a DVD player, so when I found out that the reason the price was so high was because of the ability to play DVD’s and music CD’s I was livid!

As time went on, and I still didn’t have either console, I decided to swallow my pride and buy the console, only to play games on it though! And to this day, I have never played music or films on it, just games! So, you could say I wasted my money, because lets face it, the reason why the PS2 is so expensive is partly because of the DVD player and CD player built in.

Maybe I’m just getting old (at 14?) but I don’t like all the fuss over game consoles being able to play more than games. I wish we could go back to the days where the Mega Drive was alive and kicking! Now that was a great console, and loved by thousands! Now, the reason why it was loved wasn’t because it could play films or CD’s on it, but because it only played games, and good ones at that. If the MD was released in today’s gaming world with the facility to play films and music, the price would be much higher, and many people would buy the console, not to play games but to play films on it. To me, this is a very worrying thought because I believe that there are so many people that are buying games consoles just to play films and music on there.

People have forgotten the fact that games sell a console, not weather it plays films or not. Also, I think some people are starting to lose interest in games because they are to busy playing their favourite films.

What is the world coming to though? People buying a GAME console and not buy a single game on it. This is true for the PS2 because it is proven that people have bought PS2 to play films on, and that’s it. I’m not sure on weather company’s are making their consoles DVD compatible just to be able to sell more units or to increase the price, but what I do know is that it’s damaging the gaming world.

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo need to get their priorities right, games first or the industry will be pushing daises from 6ft under! If we manage to get rid of DVD’s and music CD’s on game consoles then we could be looking at a brighter future. The hardware will be cheaper, and with the hardware being cheaper, the company would get a bigger user base attracting the neutral developers and the customer could buy more games, have more fun and in turn making money for game company’s.
It will be interesting to see which will be the most liked by people, PS2 which plays games, films and music, or Gamecube which is going to be just a games console. Only time will tell…
All in all, I am hoping that game consoles will be only game compatible and therefor be dropped in price. Does anyone have any views on this subject? Are you for or against game consoles having DVD film and music CD players built in?

Thanks for reading,
-M16-
Thu 12/04/01 at 18:42
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Are we coming to the end of good gaming because companies are adding too much to game consoles?
I’m not sure about all of you, but when I buy a games console I buy it too play games and nothing else.

Years ago, people would go to their local game store to buy a games console. The console would be a something where you insert games into it, and a controller or two and that’s basically it. Now days, this has changed, but it is for the better or not?
Some may agree others will disagree with me when I say that the way consoles have changed over the years is for the worse. Obviously it hasn’t all gone down hill. The good things with the changes have been mostly the ability to have much, much better graphics and sound quality. All of which change the way we play games. On the other hand there have been some changes that I have not been to keen on.

I have been fortunate to buy a Dreamcast and a Playstation2. I wasn’t going to buy either because the price is, IMO, ridiculous! I really did want the two consoles, as I knew that they had superb games on them, not for the ability to play DVD’s or music CD’s. I all ready have a CD player and also had a DVD player, so when I found out that the reason the price was so high was because of the ability to play DVD’s and music CD’s I was livid!

As time went on, and I still didn’t have either console, I decided to swallow my pride and buy the console, only to play games on it though! And to this day, I have never played music or films on it, just games! So, you could say I wasted my money, because lets face it, the reason why the PS2 is so expensive is partly because of the DVD player and CD player built in.

Maybe I’m just getting old (at 14?) but I don’t like all the fuss over game consoles being able to play more than games. I wish we could go back to the days where the Mega Drive was alive and kicking! Now that was a great console, and loved by thousands! Now, the reason why it was loved wasn’t because it could play films or CD’s on it, but because it only played games, and good ones at that. If the MD was released in today’s gaming world with the facility to play films and music, the price would be much higher, and many people would buy the console, not to play games but to play films on it. To me, this is a very worrying thought because I believe that there are so many people that are buying games consoles just to play films and music on there.

People have forgotten the fact that games sell a console, not weather it plays films or not. Also, I think some people are starting to lose interest in games because they are to busy playing their favourite films.

What is the world coming to though? People buying a GAME console and not buy a single game on it. This is true for the PS2 because it is proven that people have bought PS2 to play films on, and that’s it. I’m not sure on weather company’s are making their consoles DVD compatible just to be able to sell more units or to increase the price, but what I do know is that it’s damaging the gaming world.

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo need to get their priorities right, games first or the industry will be pushing daises from 6ft under! If we manage to get rid of DVD’s and music CD’s on game consoles then we could be looking at a brighter future. The hardware will be cheaper, and with the hardware being cheaper, the company would get a bigger user base attracting the neutral developers and the customer could buy more games, have more fun and in turn making money for game company’s.
It will be interesting to see which will be the most liked by people, PS2 which plays games, films and music, or Gamecube which is going to be just a games console. Only time will tell…
All in all, I am hoping that game consoles will be only game compatible and therefor be dropped in price. Does anyone have any views on this subject? Are you for or against game consoles having DVD film and music CD players built in?

Thanks for reading,
-M16-
Thu 12/04/01 at 18:47
Regular
Weather is the Thunder and the Lightning BTW.
Thu 12/04/01 at 18:48
Regular
"everyone says it"
**M16 will be upset if this doesn't win**

Thu 12/04/01 at 18:51
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Sniper wrote:
> Weather is the Thunder and the Lightning BTW.

D'oh! (as homer would say at a time like this)
Thu 12/04/01 at 18:55
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
er-no wrote:
> **M16 will be upset if this doesn't win**

**He may well be, but thats not the point of this topic**

Thu 12/04/01 at 18:57
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
I agree. Games consoles are for games and not for DVD players etc. You sound like a proper hardcore games M16 and not one of those people who love PS2 because it can play DVDs. Not pointing fingers at anyone.
Thu 12/04/01 at 19:00
Regular
"everyone says it"
M16 wrote:
**He
> may well be, but thats not the point of this topic**

yes but its an attempt for gad, you can't deny that, and anyway I think it is good!

Do you want my opinion on the topic?
Thu 12/04/01 at 19:03
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
I’m not really a hard core gamer, I just love playing games (maybe I am then?). I can understand that it would be good for someone to buy a PS2 if they like games and don’t have a DVD player but what about the people who like games but all ready have a DVD player? Something Sony should think about.

I decided to buy a PS2 because I love playing games, but if I was a “casual gamer” and all ready had a DVD player, I don’t think I would spend £300 on a PS2 just because it had some decent games (did any of that make sense?) :-)
Thu 12/04/01 at 19:04
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
er-no wrote:

Do you want my opinion on the topic?

No keep your opinions to yourself young man!

lol, only joking. I would like to know what you think about the issues I have raised.
Thu 12/04/01 at 19:13
short answer:no

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.