GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hellboy"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/04/04 at 01:45
Regular
"£77k - muahahahah"
Hellboy
Starring: Ron Perlman, John Hurt, Selma Blair, Rupert Evans
Release Date: 3rd September 2004

Premise
"In the final days of World War II, the Nazis attempt to use black magic to aid their dying cause. The Allies raid the camp where the ceremony is taking place, but not before a demon - Hellboy - has already been conjured. Joining the Allied forces, Hellboy eventually grows to adulthood, serving the cause of good rather than evil."

Casting
Perlman looks bloody excellent as Hellboy. I thought that'd be terrible, but he was actually pretty good. Decent casting all around. Rupert Evans as "John Myers" impressed me a lot.

Script
The script has some good moments, but for the most part is your pretty sub-standard script.

Special Effects
There's a lot of CGI here. The elemental effects were very good but the CGI baby Hellboy looked utter toss. The CGI monsters looked great, though. I suspect a lot of anamatronics were mixed in.

Cameos
None

Best moment
A giant mechanical hammer almost squashes Hellboy.

Best quote
"There are things that go bump in the night, Agent Myers. We are the ones who bump back."

Ending
The ending was pretty bad, very rushed. There was one great enemy that was vanquished too quickly, and the main enemy itself was terrible. In the last 9 minutes of the film, the problem began, was solved and all the in-betweens I won't spoil for you. The love story side had quite a clever conclusion and I nice exit monologue from Evans, but aside from that, there should've been expanision here, at least two fold.

Worth getting on DVD?
I wouldn't get it, even if it was soaked in extras.

Rating
6.5/10 - a pretty big disappointment. I was expecting action all the way and instead there was a few minutes of it here and there. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, but it was hyped far too much, very much like Terminator 3, and also, the trailer showed all the best bits. There were a few laughs and once scene where Hellboy spoke to a kid that was quite heart-warming. Go see it at the cinema or rent it on DVD.
Mon 12/04/04 at 02:44
Regular
yeah I may do just that. there's quite a few I want, but I'm trying to keep my DVD spending down to a minimum.

perhaps I'll just rent it for now :)

the only thing on cinema I can think of that I really want to see is Episode 3, and that's not til 2005/2006
Mon 12/04/04 at 02:42
Regular
"£77k - muahahahah"
Get the DVD. Out a week from today :)
Mon 12/04/04 at 02:37
Regular
Not even seen the first one yet.

I know, that's terrible.
Mon 12/04/04 at 02:35
Regular
"£77k - muahahahah"
Kill Bill Volume 2! :)
Mon 12/04/04 at 02:31
Regular
I seem to have lost all interest in the cinema to be honest. I haven't seen one film advertised that made me think 'I must go and see that'. the last thing I watched was lord of the rings just before christmas.
Mon 12/04/04 at 02:30
Regular
"£77k - muahahahah"
True, but I really had faith this was gonna be great.
Mon 12/04/04 at 02:27
Regular
That's great, but your country is also top of the hitlist for terrorist attacks.

I think I can live with waiting for films, especially ones that get rated 6.5 out of 10.
Mon 12/04/04 at 02:25
Regular
"rock kickin!"
heh! we amricans all ready have it in theaters!
Mon 12/04/04 at 01:58
Regular
"£77k - muahahahah"
Bloody nice quality though.
Mon 12/04/04 at 01:57
"I love yo... lamp."
Ah. Well, if it is nothing but a download, I wouldn't give a final verdict on it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.