GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Quite Possibly The Most Incredible Football Match I’ve Ever Witnessed"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/04/04 at 18:34
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Some of you may be aware that I am a Woking FC fan. Since I live just 20 minutes from their ground, and have a good stadium, I have been supporting them for about 4 seasons now, but never have I witnessed a game like the one today, anywhere.

Being a Woking fan means having two big rivals. Stevenage, who we dislike for a certain promotion run in (and the antics of their manager/chairman Graham Westley) recently, and Aldershot, who we hate more so. After losing at Aldershot earlier in the season 2 – 1, everyone was up for the return game at Kingfield. The game started like any other derby match, ablaze with rivalry. Tackles were flying in left, right and centre. It began to settle down after around 5 minutes in, and then on the 8th minute, Aldershot took the lead after some pressure. However, the ball blatantly wasn’t over the line. It was almost as cynical as the decision at that Chelsea vs. Watford cup-tie. There is no way the ball crossed the line, absolutely no way.

After that I was feeling a bit cheated, and Aldershot picked up where they left off. A ball was sent into the box and cleared, everyone assumed a corner, but the referee suddenly pointed to the spot. I cannot see any reason for the penalty being given, none at all, and by this point I thought the ref was having a laugh. After the penalty being saved, we conceded a free kick. It was all of thirty five yards out, and whilst it was crafted brilliantly by their player, it was a poor effort by our goalkeeper to keep it out, he didn’t even move. 2 – 0, and what we thought was game over after 12 minutes.

After this, Woking started to get back on top, and right before half time we fired back from the spot after a dodgy penalty. Again, the ref was totally idiotic in his decision. We still felt a bit cheated going in a goal behind, and for all of the second half Aldershot time wasted, and their manager, Terry Brown, had several unnecessary pops at the easy manipulated ref. Verbal battles continued between the two sets of fans. Woking then got in, and our nippy left-winger slotted home…offside.

Finally in the dieing moments, a hopeful ball was delivered into the area, our 89th minute sub rose and nodded over the keeper, it bounced once, twice, and crept over the line. The crowd was ecstatic. Offside said the referee. Suddenly the ref began to consult his linesman however, and signalled a goal to Woking, 2 – 2, and the crowd once again was ecstatic. After the match fans and club personnel swarmed around the ref. It was unbelievable, both sets of fans were engaging in strong verbal and mild physical abuse. On the way out police swarmed the streets. One of the most controversial games I’ve ever seen (a part from a lower league affair which saw 4 players sent off of each team!) and between two teams of colossal rivalry.

Classic!
Sun 11/04/04 at 20:10
Regular
Ashman wrote:
Feel free to add me on MSN if you
> wanna chat about the conference ([email protected]).

Will do, just got to trudge through the tail-end of some work :-(
Sun 11/04/04 at 16:22
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
What season did we end your cup run? *thinks*
Sun 11/04/04 at 16:17
Regular
Woah lol 'twas a bitter joke. Yes, I am still bitter that you ended our cup run. ;c)
Sun 11/04/04 at 15:36
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
DW wrote:
> Ashman wrote:
> So you're going to base the fact that we suck on one match 7 years
> ago.
>
> Yep.
>
> I think you'dm also like to know that 7 years ago we beat WBA
> and drew with the likes of Coventry and Villa in the cup. So basing
> it on that we are a Division 2 side at worst.
>
> Not really.

Yes but surely if you're going to base the fact that we suck on one match 7 years ago then I can do the same about 3 matches 5 years ago.
Sun 11/04/04 at 15:34
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Quinty wrote:
> Ashman wrote:
>
>
> So do you go to every home match?
>
> Yeah, i have a season ticket this year, normally get to about 8 or 9
> away games too.

Thats pretty much the same loyalty I show to Woking, have been to every home match this season, and on our travels have been to Aldershot, Stevenage, Farnborough, Telford, Burton, Morecambe, Hereford, Forest Green and watched the Barnet match on TV. I also went to all Fa Cup & Trophy matches.

> Even after 1 and a half seasons the jurys still out on Westley in my
> opinion. I was uncomfortable with how he treated Farnborough, you
> have to question his loyalty don't you? And deservedly so he and us
> have recieved a lot of stick from oppositon fans (I was at
> Farnborough on Boxing day and the abuse was incredible). I'm also
> starting to question his tactics too, seems to me like Grahem Pearce
> (assitant) is better than him. Trouble is he has his favourties
> (Carrol, Watson) who simply arent good enough but are always
> dead-certs to start :-(

The state in which he left Farnborough was disgraceful, and really hope that they stay up with this new rule about one of the lower teams not being able to.

> I take your point, i was kind of aware you were missing key players,
> but the same went for us. Jason Goodliffe has been out for most the
> season which means weve had to play with a makeshift 5ft 8in
> centre-back!, Wormull who is the playmaker was also missing and some
> others.

Yeah we've also had Chris Sharpling out half the season who was showing blistering form, and we have been going downhill ever since we lost influencial striker Jefferson Louis as he returned from his load spell.

Just looking forward to next season now, as you said, Stevenage vs. Woking encounters are brilliant. Feel free to add me on MSN if you wanna chat about the conference ([email protected]).
Sun 11/04/04 at 15:14
Regular
Ashman wrote:
> So you're going to base the fact that we suck on one match 7 years
> ago.

Yep.

I think you'dm also like to know that 7 years ago we beat WBA
> and drew with the likes of Coventry and Villa in the cup. So basing
> it on that we are a Division 2 side at worst.

Not really.

Four years ago, Wycombe got to the semi-finals of the FA Cup, where we were knocked out by Liverpool. That doesn't make us a Premiership side.
Sun 11/04/04 at 13:43
Regular
Ashman wrote:

> So do you go to every home match?

Yeah, i have a season ticket this year, normally get to about 8 or 9 away games too.

> Yeah, but how do you feel about Westley, I think you are probably
> aware he is one of the most hated men in football. You gotta say is
> a backstabbing tard as much as you probably adore his money.

Even after 1 and a half seasons the jurys still out on Westley in my opinion. I was uncomfortable with how he treated Farnborough, you have to question his loyalty don't you? And deservedly so he and us have recieved a lot of stick from oppositon fans (I was at Farnborough on Boxing day and the abuse was incredible). I'm also starting to question his tactics too, seems to me like Grahem Pearce (assitant) is better than him. Trouble is he has his favourties (Carrol, Watson) who simply arent good enough but are always dead-certs to start :-(

>
> I don't want to sound like i'm making excuses but we were injury
> ridden for that match. Our 3 best players were either injured prior
> to the match, or were injured in the first ten minutes.

I take your point, i was kind of aware you were missing key players, but the same went for us. Jason Goodliffe has been out for most the season which means weve had to play with a makeshift 5ft 8in centre-back!, Wormull who is the playmaker was also missing and some others.
Sun 11/04/04 at 11:21
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Quinty wrote:
> Ashman wrote:
> Yeah, there's a big thing amongst Stevenage fans about acoustics on
> the East Terrace (right of the away end), it may sound quiet but i
> stand there every week and am always convinced were fairly loud.

So do you go to every home match?

> Yeah, especially after last seasons late resurgance. Been a bit of
> anti-climax really, but we are still the only team to win away to
> Chester! Its funny how we seem to follow each other as well, last
> season we were both in the relegation dogfight, this season were both
> mid-table and of course the famous mid-ninties promotion battles.

Yeah, but how do you feel about Westley, I think you are probably aware he is one of the most hated men in football. You gotta say is a backstabbing tard as much as you probably adore his money.

> Yep, but we never put away our chances, although i was impressed with
> Fergusen and Canham - they look like handy players.

I don't want to sound like i'm making excuses but we were injury ridden for that match. Our 3 best players were either injured prior to the match, or were injured in the first ten minutes. I'm talking about out best defender, Neil Sharp, midfielder Ian Selley who has won the Cup Winners Cup with Arsenal, and Stevenage desperately wanted in pre-season. and of course the legend that is Raphael Nade, who was injured after one of your players barged him into the sideboard. Raph is our best, and one of our longest serving players. He has been a bargain and been with use nearly two seasons now. Whilst he isn't tremendously talented, he is hard-working, good in the air, and quick. He was a striker, but sadly he can't finish to save his life, so we stuck him wide and he plays just as well.

> Heh, you can keep him, along with Martin Williams *shudders*.

Luckily Martin Williams and Jamie Campbell went out of the door. I have no problem with Smith, he is a reasonable backup player, but Glenn Cockerill thinks he is a first team player purely because he shouts at everyone, and he realy isn't.
Sun 11/04/04 at 11:14
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
DW iz naked!!11one wrote:
> Oh...and it's safe to say that Woking suck.
>
> Their first team oh so nearly got beat by then Combined Counties side
> Ashford Town, back six or seven years ago. :cD
>
> Clive Walker stole the man of the match award from Paul German. Damn
> biast Woking people.

So you're going to base the fact that we suck on one match 7 years ago. I think you'dm also like to know that 7 years ago we beat WBA and drew with the likes of Coventry and Villa in the cup. So basing it on that we are a Division 2 side at worst.
Sun 11/04/04 at 02:26
Regular
Ashley wrote:
> oi quinty was a ledgend and yes it is him.

I'm well aware of who Quinty is, thanks. ;c)

Harry Carter, I think. :cP

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.