GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PlayStation 2 Only Available On Pre-Order! Good or Bad Idea?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/07/00 at 10:04
Regular
This is probably old news by now, but there have been numerous reports on the 'net, that Sony won't be getting the PS2 on the shelves over here until AFTER Xmas. However, you can still get one at launch on the 26th October IF you go to your local video-gaming emporium and pre-order a machine from 14th August.

Now, personally, I think this is a terrible idea, it seems Sony are content on creating problems for the PS2. Everything Sony did right for the PlayStation, they're doing wrong for the PlayStation 2. Have they not learnt from Sega's mistakes in the past? Apparently not. But, the fact of the matter is that you know it's going to sell like hot-cakes regardless of the slew of problems that have bombarded the console recently.
Sun 02/07/00 at 21:17
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
It's been confirmed that Sony Europe will ONLY be distributing the PS2 through pre-orders come 14th August in time for the 29th October launch. Special Reserve has the full story at http://serverpool.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=310

Think I might hang on until after Christmas for a PS2 - see what titles are available after the festive season.

Now, Sega MUST capitilize on the PS2 shortage and judging by the recent MVC (Video Games Traders Newsletter) Sega has no less than 4 AAA titles for September, which include Metropolis Street Racer, Ferrari F355, Virtua Tennis and Virtua Athlete 2000. With Samba De Amigo, Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Quake 3 Arena, Sega GT and Phantasy Star Online slated for a November/December release.

Aaah! It's good to be a gamer :)
Sun 02/07/00 at 20:51
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
This is quite interesting...
Before the PS2 launch in Japan, every Sony department was making PS2s. Despite this, the console sold out and is still rare in Japan.

Now however, Sony want to launch the console in the US and Europe at once! In addition they are making the new PS ONE (smaller PSX). As a result of this, the American market already has more pre-orders than consoles, and Sony Europe are rumoured to only send out consoles that have been pre-ordered! As well, expect the shortage of console to last a long time- image how many people want one for X mas. Basically Sony are making PS2s for all three markets, and cannot possibly reach the demand. Also, the PS ONE deveopment is a strain on the company, as is the problem of low efficiency in production lines.

I think that one of Sega's best moves was to wait before launching in the West- ensuring a strong launch line up, with all the bugs in games being fixed. The PS2 does not have this time, and I doubt developers will be able to do very good pal conversions of games on top of fixing AA and other problems in them. I think Sega's 60 Hz mode in it's games were a great idea, and it's a pity sony will never be able to do this.

Rav
Sun 02/07/00 at 10:04
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
This is probably old news by now, but there have been numerous reports on the 'net, that Sony won't be getting the PS2 on the shelves over here until AFTER Xmas. However, you can still get one at launch on the 26th October IF you go to your local video-gaming emporium and pre-order a machine from 14th August.

Now, personally, I think this is a terrible idea, it seems Sony are content on creating problems for the PS2. Everything Sony did right for the PlayStation, they're doing wrong for the PlayStation 2. Have they not learnt from Sega's mistakes in the past? Apparently not. But, the fact of the matter is that you know it's going to sell like hot-cakes regardless of the slew of problems that have bombarded the console recently.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.