GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Do People Buy Full Price Games?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/04/04 at 15:15
Regular
"hulagadoo"
I would like views on why people buy games when they are first released. If you wait a while they drop the price and you can get games at cheap prices. Is it because people are inpatient or becuase they have money to throw around?
Fri 09/04/04 at 08:43
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
I buy all my games for £30 on the Internet, I'm sure you all know what Internet retailer provides that service.
Thu 08/04/04 at 21:17
Regular
"hulagadoo"
Hugo Rune-Shanks wrote:
> Whats the most you've ever spent on a game gr13ve? ... myself it was
> about 85quid for a title I had to import from the states back in
> 1999... yourself?

the most ive spent was £50 for socom and the headset.
Thu 08/04/04 at 19:40
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Monkey_With_Attitude wrote:
> So the big tip?
>
> Buy Pre-owned games or trade games with friends, or over the Internet
> if you can trust they won't rip you off.

I've started to do just that. I used to pay around £40 for games regularly but when you finish games and want to trade them you get little in return. Whereas when you buy second hand games and then go to trade them, you don't lose as much money.
Thu 08/04/04 at 19:37
"Uzi Lover"
Yes I am right, and you all know it too.

I finished that short because I had to go and eat stuff BUT also trade games with friends.

They've finished their game, you've finished yours...it'll sit on the shelf and gather dust now probably. Swap some games for a few weeks or just trade them for good.

Looking for bargains online is also a great thing to do, as is looking on that very well known auction site. On there I can pick up about four games for the price of a new one. And none of them will be junk.

Bargain hunting people, it's great. Do it. Save yourself money.

Also trading online in these forums or others is good. It's like trading with friends, but maybe you don't have any. Or maybe none that play games. In some places there are entire forums dedicated to trading with each other, you can offer your games for trade or offer yours for others being listed.

Another way to get cheap games? Try your luck at Special Reserves very own GAD.

They've saved me LOADS. I love them for it. I would hug them, lots, but I can't/won't.
Thu 08/04/04 at 19:12
"Majestic"
Monkey boy, your right !

New titles are always in the preowned section after about a week for a tenner cheaper. Chances are that the game is still in mint condition anyway considering its only been out a week...
Thu 08/04/04 at 19:09
"Uzi Lover"
Gather round kids, and listen to the wise old Monkey boy (me).

People who buy new full priced games - Silly. That is unless the game they are buying has just been released and they just can't wait to get their hands on it. E.g Halo 2.

But my tips come from the exprience of being a gamer and wanting games, and also having a sense of money since I started working. I remember when I use to phone up and buy games for around £40 even though I didn't have that money, my parents paid for it. I feel for those guys now, games are expensive you know and most of them I don't even get £40 out of.

So the big tip?

Buy Pre-owned games or trade games with friends, or over the Internet if you can trust they won't rip you off.

When I march into a games store to look at games I go to my selected systems section and see New games standing right next to old preowned games. Yet the only difference I see is in the price. New games are comign up at around the £30-£40 mark while pre-owned games go from under a tenner to around £30 max for a new title. I have picked up some MASSIVE bargains buying pre-owned games, so big I can usually laugh in a new game buyers face.

But seriously, what is the difference? The game is in the box, the manual is, it plays perfectly fine. The only difference with a new title is that you are getting it freshly sealed and you know it hasn't been round someones stinky house. But in the end, it is the same game for a much MUCH cheaper price.

So pre-owned games, go for it, unless you normally walk out of a games store and think "Yes, I have given that game a sale and maybe it will be higher in the charts now". Thats geek for you, you get to play the game, and thats what matters.

Game stores have massive pre-owned sections these days, usually consisting of games traded in by fools for other games. Even though they get a rubbish price for their game.

So yes, next time you want to go buy a game, go look for it in the pre-owned section first and maybe you can buy two games for the price of the new one you were going to buy.
Thu 08/04/04 at 18:02
Regular
No doubt, I was trying to use an example it worked best with FIFA, but someone didn't like that so I had to change it.
Thu 08/04/04 at 18:01
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Forest Fan wrote:
> Aoe wrote:
> Forest Fan wrote:
> Well for example you could buy FIFA 2003 for half the price of FIFA
> 2004, but who wants an out of date game? This is really why we buy
> full price games, so we have the latest versions.
>
> But who would want any FIFA game? Bad example.
>
> Or any game, FIFA, Final Fantasy or otherwise.

FF7 was a classic.
Thu 08/04/04 at 17:41
Regular
Aoe wrote:
> Forest Fan wrote:
> Well for example you could buy FIFA 2003 for half the price of FIFA
> 2004, but who wants an out of date game? This is really why we buy
> full price games, so we have the latest versions.
>
> But who would want any FIFA game? Bad example.

Or any game, FIFA, Final Fantasy or otherwise.
Thu 08/04/04 at 17:38
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> If nobody bought full price games then they would never make it onto
> the classics ranges and then they would never be cheap.

pretty much what NB is saying, I'm rather shocked when my brother buys a new game in the shop when I could have ordered it 10 pounds cheaper off the internet. On one of his recent DVD and game shopping trips he spent 140 pounds. If he had bothered to buy them online he would have only needed 100 pounds. Could have bought me 4 good DVDs with that :(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.