GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Does the GameBoy have any future??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/07/00 at 22:11
Regular
I say yes and no. I wouldn't buy one now, because I think the graphics are too dated and the amount of good games on the GameBoy is poor. But with the GameBoy Advance coming out, this handheld console will still be popular, I think. Maybe the graphics are better on the Advance, and better games will come out, but I still wouldn't buy one. I just don't like the idea of 2D gaming when there's the PS2 and the Dolphin coming out, shovelling out games with breath-taking graphics. But of course, some people may prefer the idea of the GameBoy Advance, and of course, there's the success of Pokemon.

So, I think, if Nintendo maybe made the GameBoy 3D or at least made the graphics look better, and gave it better quality games, then I think it would still be a very good console, or handheld. I may think about buying one then. I would like to hear your views on this, but don't insult me over this message.

Thanks for reading,
Ant.
Mon 03/07/00 at 20:55
Hey, I haven't missed the point I know it's for one on the move, but I don't really go anywhere where I'm bored to death and I have to bring a GameBoy with me, ya see, I DO HAVE A GAMEBOY, AND I HAVEN'T USED IT FOR YEARS!!!! And also, it would cost quite alot, and I don't have the money.
Rav wrote:
> The GBA does have a 32 bit processor. Unlike the PSX, however,
> there are 2 other factors that aftect 3D gaming. Firstly, the
> GBA's screen is hardly a full screen TV- so graphical detail will
> be v. low. Aswell as this there are hardware problems: the GBA
> uses cartridges that could never hold big 3D worlds, and it
> doesn't have a full console set up (eg. the video card is not as
> powerful).
>
> But this is not a reason not to buy the console. Someone was just
> saying that he won't buy the GBA when better things like the PS2
> are out. I think this person has completely missed the point- the
> GBA is a handheld console for gaming on the move! Not like the PS2
> which is a home machine. The console will have the best looking
> handheld games ever- one developer says that games look just like
> SNES games, and the sound quality is just as good. So stop
> comparing a portable, fairly cheap handheld to a fully fledged,
> £300 PS2!
>
> -Rav
Mon 03/07/00 at 19:30
I can't remember if anyone said this, but a while ago a big honcho from Nintendo said that the 2d capibility of the GBA would be equivalent of the Dreamcast. This isn't such a big surprise because the Dreamcast is designed to be a 3d console. But its still pretty cool.
Mon 03/07/00 at 13:48
Regular
thanks
Mon 03/07/00 at 13:40
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
The GBA does have a 32 bit processor. Unlike the PSX, however, there are 2 other factors that aftect 3D gaming. Firstly, the GBA's screen is hardly a full screen TV- so graphical detail will be v. low. Aswell as this there are hardware problems: the GBA uses cartridges that could never hold big 3D worlds, and it doesn't have a full console set up (eg. the video card is not as powerful).

But this is not a reason not to buy the console. Someone was just saying that he won't buy the GBA when better things like the PS2 are out. I think this person has completely missed the point- the GBA is a handheld console for gaming on the move! Not like the PS2 which is a home machine. The console will have the best looking handheld games ever- one developer says that games look just like SNES games, and the sound quality is just as good. So stop comparing a portable, fairly cheap handheld to a fully fledged, £300 PS2!

-Rav
Mon 03/07/00 at 09:35
Regular
Isn't the advance going to be 3d i was told it had the capabilities and would be 32 bit like the playstation with similar gaming levels. If I am wrong could you explain what It can actually do.
Sun 02/07/00 at 22:11
I say yes and no. I wouldn't buy one now, because I think the graphics are too dated and the amount of good games on the GameBoy is poor. But with the GameBoy Advance coming out, this handheld console will still be popular, I think. Maybe the graphics are better on the Advance, and better games will come out, but I still wouldn't buy one. I just don't like the idea of 2D gaming when there's the PS2 and the Dolphin coming out, shovelling out games with breath-taking graphics. But of course, some people may prefer the idea of the GameBoy Advance, and of course, there's the success of Pokemon.

So, I think, if Nintendo maybe made the GameBoy 3D or at least made the graphics look better, and gave it better quality games, then I think it would still be a very good console, or handheld. I may think about buying one then. I would like to hear your views on this, but don't insult me over this message.

Thanks for reading,
Ant.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.