GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Shutting windows down"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/04/04 at 19:28
Regular
"who wrote that?"
My computer takes around 8 minuits to turn off after pressing the "turn off" button.i have
Athlon XP 2600
512 ddr
120gb 7200
FX 5200
obviosly this is not a major problem but i would like to see if this can be sorted.thanks for you time
Wed 07/04/04 at 19:28
Regular
"who wrote that?"
My computer takes around 8 minuits to turn off after pressing the "turn off" button.i have
Athlon XP 2600
512 ddr
120gb 7200
FX 5200
obviosly this is not a major problem but i would like to see if this can be sorted.thanks for you time
Wed 07/04/04 at 19:39
Regular
odd not sure whats up with it.

I down loaded XP service pack 2 last week and it has a load of funky features. might help as it changes a fair bit.

250 mb though. wont take long on broadband.

that was a bit random and might/probably won't help. the tech people might be able to help

i have exactly the same stuff as you! except a 5600 instead of a 5200!
Wed 07/04/04 at 19:43
Regular
8 minutes? Wow. If the time is taken whilst the Windows desktop is still running, tt's probably a program or service that just won't quit; press Ctrl+Alt+Del to end those in the task manager. If most of the time is spent while the computer says it is shutting down (i.e. the progress bar) then your drive is probably fragmented, or the page files themselves need some defragging.
Wed 07/04/04 at 19:56
Regular
"who wrote that?"
i belive that i have service pack 2 as its a new computer and windows xp has this on the new software.i think

no its on "windows is shutting down" screen
Wed 07/04/04 at 20:43
Regular
How about pressing Control/Alt/Delete and clicking on the process' tab and tell us what is running.

That way determining any Spyware or virus that could be doing this to your system.

How old is the system?

[Edit]I remember something similiar happening to my PC, do you have any USB Network cards or Pendrives in the USB port when shutting down? I had a USB Wireless Dongle shoved in my USB port and whenever i tried to shut down it prolonged the time in which it did this.
Are you logged onto the internet or to a network when you shut down, if you are try disconnecting from them and then do a shut down.
Wed 07/04/04 at 20:47
Regular
oh just remembered try:

http://www.lavasoft.nu/

go to downloads, download adaware. That searches for registry bugs and spyware that might sort it out.
Wed 07/04/04 at 20:48
Regular
Ashley wrote:
> oh just remembered try:
>
> http://www.lavasoft.nu/
>
> go to downloads, download adaware. That searches for registry bugs
> and spyware that might sort it out.

True, i wouldnt connect to the internet without this handy tool.
Thu 08/04/04 at 22:16
Regular
"who wrote that?"
My computer is about six months old and i has always done this since getting this and that was before ever connecting it to the internet
Thu 08/04/04 at 22:30
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Wow, thats is slow.

Could be a borked OS install. Did you get a proper OS installation cd with the computer?
Sun 11/04/04 at 02:31
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
May just be time to re-install XP like cookie suggested.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.