GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bad times ahead"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/07/00 at 12:30
Regular
The PlayStation 2 had the potential to mark a new 'golden age' in gaming like when the Megadrive and SNES we're both at their peak. Instead Sony may destroy the street-cred it has brought to the industry. I can't think of a single reviewer or developer who hails the PS2 as anything really special. Sure it's more powerful than the DC - even SEGA would probably admit to that. But the sheer difficulty in programming for the system means that it may take a year or two of experimenting before the PS2 can significantly out shine it in terms of graphics.

By that time we'll all be familiar with the Dolphin is like and also what the X-Box can provide.

This should mean that the other machines will get a fair (if not even) share of the market - but it won't. The PlayStation name is to video games what Hoover is to vacuum cleaners, people say it as if it is the standard.

One developer has already said they are putting so much into the PS2 that it can't afford to develop any DC games.

Look at what is available for it so far. Are there any great games? No. The main ones like Ridge Racer 5 and TTT aren't any more special to play than their PS1 equivalents (and yes I have played them). The graphics don't look nearly as good as they did in preview screenshots and there is nothing there that couldn't be done on a DC.

Unless Sony REALLY messes this up over the next year or so I can't see either SEGA or Nintendo releasing another machine after these. Unless the X-box does well we may be facing a one machine industry, come the PS3. Good thing or bad thing? Lets see what you all think!
Sun 29/04/01 at 15:14
Regular
Even more unbelievable than your prediction, is that after a few replies, it still is all on topic!

It's odd to think that all people used to talk about was games. We've evolved so much since then.

(I'll beg to differ.)
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
OOOO!!!! Aren't u good!

Sonic
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Sorry, I clicked 'Post' but obviously didn't click 'Stop' quick enough when I wanted to add something else.
Sun 29/04/01 at 15:12
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
SmokedKipper wrote:

Unless Sony REALLY messes this up over the next year or
> so I can't see either SEGA or Nintendo releasing another machine
> after these.

Once you pop (to the top) you just can't stop!

See that? Look at the date! Aren't I good? I was right about Sega and I'm not (yet) wrong about Nintendo.

This was my first ever post on SR and I won a game for it.

Mama who da man? You is Kipper, you is!

The sad thing is, almost a year later, I'm still posting about the PS2 being cack and I'm still right.
Sun 29/04/01 at 15:11
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
SmokedKipper wrote:

Unless Sony REALLY messes this up over the next year or
> so I can't see either SEGA or Nintendo releasing another machine
> after these.

Once you pop (to the top) you just can't stop!

See that? Look at the date! Aren't I good? I was right about Sega and I'm not (yet) wrong about Nintendo.

Mama who da man? You is Kipper, you is!

The sad thing is, almost a year later, I'm still posting about the PS2 being cack and I'm still right.
Tue 18/07/00 at 19:39
If everyone can remember the release of the original Playstation back in September 1995, the Playstation didn't exactly have top quality games then. Of course we are talking about games such as Street Fighter the Movie, NBA Jam Tournament Edition, Battle Arena Toshinden, and few others.
And heck, the Dreamcast is still releasing games that originaly appeared in 32 bits like, Tomb Raider 4, Soul Reiver, Tony Hawk's Skateboarding, Resident Evil 2, Street Fighter Alpha 3, and a lot more.
What i am really trying to say is that whenever some major big console comes out it comes natural for duff games to be released on the launch date of the console, simply because the developers have not gotten to grips with the programming language yet.
Yes all of yous may think that this Dolphin is going to beat the Playstation in terms of sales, but when is this coming out? There has been no pictures or useful information to suggest that it will be coming out in the near future. I have no idea about the X-Box, but put it this way, the Playstation 3 will clobber everyone at the end.
Mon 03/07/00 at 18:26
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Well said SmokedKipper!

I think Sony only making the initial PS2 launch available through pre-order is a BIG mistake. If they want to take control of the market from the outset they must get the console in the shops before Christmas. It's going to be interesting to see how many people are going to shell out £400+ for a console that is, quite frankly, a cheap DVD solution at this moment in time. C'mon Sony I want to see games worth playing NOT souped-up sequels.

The consumers who bought the PSX first time round are without a doubt going to buy a PS2. But, will they change there mind when they see titles like Shenmue, Ferrari 355, Jet Set Radio to name but a few up and running? Or is the Sony juggernaut to powerful to be run off the road? The next couple of years are going to be mighty interesting.

IMHO I think people who are ignoring the Dreamcast in favour of Sony's console are robbing themselves of a truly superb piece of kit which houses some of the best and most innovative games on any console. Period!
Mon 03/07/00 at 17:35
Regular
I think Sony have little to look foward to, this is because Nintendo have created many magniticent games in the past and now Nintendo have the Price Advantage. Many Games programmers can now freely defect to Nintendo as there is a far smaller financial risk when working on DVDs than on carts and that discouraged programmers in the past.
Mon 03/07/00 at 13:58
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well said. Unlike smoked kipper though, I am a bit mopre optomistic about the market. Between now and the PS2 launch, Sega have a load of coll games like MSR, Ferarri 355, Jet Set Radio and loads others. And since the PS2 won't be in shops till after Xmas (see other story), then Sega awill also have the benefit of games like Shenmue and the whole online network (Half life and Quake 3 will be amazing). If Sega get the marketing right (it's a longshot), and gamers get fed up with no PS2s in stores and poor game reviews, then I think Sega will survive.

As for the Dolphin- who knows? No doubt it'll launch with 2 or 3 Miyamoto masterpieces and will catch the hardcore market. In addition, due to the competition for selling games on the PS2, many developers will produce games for Nintendo to boast sales (the same thing happened with the N64s loose market).

So think positive about the future:

-Rav
Mon 03/07/00 at 12:30
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
The PlayStation 2 had the potential to mark a new 'golden age' in gaming like when the Megadrive and SNES we're both at their peak. Instead Sony may destroy the street-cred it has brought to the industry. I can't think of a single reviewer or developer who hails the PS2 as anything really special. Sure it's more powerful than the DC - even SEGA would probably admit to that. But the sheer difficulty in programming for the system means that it may take a year or two of experimenting before the PS2 can significantly out shine it in terms of graphics.

By that time we'll all be familiar with the Dolphin is like and also what the X-Box can provide.

This should mean that the other machines will get a fair (if not even) share of the market - but it won't. The PlayStation name is to video games what Hoover is to vacuum cleaners, people say it as if it is the standard.

One developer has already said they are putting so much into the PS2 that it can't afford to develop any DC games.

Look at what is available for it so far. Are there any great games? No. The main ones like Ridge Racer 5 and TTT aren't any more special to play than their PS1 equivalents (and yes I have played them). The graphics don't look nearly as good as they did in preview screenshots and there is nothing there that couldn't be done on a DC.

Unless Sony REALLY messes this up over the next year or so I can't see either SEGA or Nintendo releasing another machine after these. Unless the X-box does well we may be facing a one machine industry, come the PS3. Good thing or bad thing? Lets see what you all think!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.