GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Would the PS2 sell if it was made by Matsui?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/07/00 at 19:28
Regular
If the PS2 wasn't designed by Sony, do you think it would sell half as many as it would, if it was designed and marketed by someone, like say, Matsui?

You can walk up to any person in the street and ask then who Sony is and they immediately know who they are. Which makes me wonder, will it be the brand name rather than the games that sells Sony's console? I mean, does the consumer care that come October 29th they'll be playing sequels to their PSX counterparts?

It's going to be interesting to see if Microsoft do well in the console wars with there X-Box unit which, apparently, is a lot more powerful than the PS2 and also offers DVD playback. Microsoft is an established name, maybe not as well known as Sony, but established none-the-less. It'll be interesting to see if the consumer will give X-Box a chance. But, as we know, the kit's only as good as the games on it which is why Microsoft need to secure some top companies like Capcom, Namco, Crave etc.

The same could be said for Nintendo and the Dolphin, except numerous reports have suggested that the Dolphin will NOT offer DVD playback and will only be used as a storage medium. Unfortuantely, Nintendo are a fantasic company, but seem to have this stigma attached to them as a "kiddie" company. Which is why I think some people will be put off from the Dolphin IF Nintendo don't start developing some more adult-orientated games in the vein of Rare's Perfect Dark. It's imperivitive Nintendo realise the market has shifted to the 16-30 year old category and not the 3-14 category anymore.

Onto Sega, Sega have an advantage over all the three of the aforementioned companies. The Dreamcast is already out! Boasting a superb line-up of games which are coming our way around the same time as Sony are set to launch the PS2. Sega MUST market the Dreamcast in order to create a 'spoiler campaign' against Sony's console.

I'm looking forward to the next couple of years. Are you?

Thoughts?
Mon 03/07/00 at 21:51
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
You know, the original PSX was made by Sony and Nintendo, and was basically a SNES, but with a CD drive- it's a pity the N64 never got one of those. The project fell through, and Sony continued the idea into Playstation.

As for the new console, the ver fact it is called Playstation 2 shows that sony is trying to capitalise on the PSX's success by "brand-stretching". Sony even denied that this was the name of the console after various web sites started using it, and then said it should be called the Next generation Playstation. Either Sony took 6 months thinking up the name of the conosole and then forgot to include anti-aliasing, or it was a clever ploy to target Playstation fans. After all, almost everyone- evn those who don't own a PSX- have heard the name. It's a shame the console is p*ss poor!

Rav
Mon 03/07/00 at 21:23
Regular
It probably wouldn't.
However I think you are slightly insane if you think microsoft are a less well known name than Sony.
Mon 03/07/00 at 21:12
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
You could not be any more right! if you buy a pair of jeans, they HAVE to be made by Tommy Hilfiger or someone extreemly famous! the same works with a console, for example, your Mum and dad come into your room on your birthday and shout, `HAPPY BIRTHDAY SON/DAUGHTER(for all those gaming girls out there)` you take the present away from your parents gratefully, you excitedly rip off the wrapping and find out that it's a.....wooly jumper made by your gran! you then say......`thanks mum+dad` very quietly.
But next door it's your evil twins birthday(he lives in another house becasue he is sooo evil), anyway the same thing happens, his Mum and Dad come into his room and shout `HAPPY BIRTHDAY EVIL SON` and he snatches the present of them evily and rips off the wrapping in an evil way to find out it's a Timberland Jumper!(for those of you that don't know what or who Timberland are, they are a very good producer, like RARE, but they make clothes) he then say's `GREAT`.
there is absolutly no point to that story, but I was bored and thought I should write some rubbish about evil twins.
this is not based around me, i have no evil twin, sorry for wasting your time.

and yes Bleeders, you have a very valid point, if it wasn't made by Sony, it would not sell, but Edgy wrote a couple of days ago that the original playstation was made by Nintendo!! aparently this is true.
Mon 03/07/00 at 19:28
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
If the PS2 wasn't designed by Sony, do you think it would sell half as many as it would, if it was designed and marketed by someone, like say, Matsui?

You can walk up to any person in the street and ask then who Sony is and they immediately know who they are. Which makes me wonder, will it be the brand name rather than the games that sells Sony's console? I mean, does the consumer care that come October 29th they'll be playing sequels to their PSX counterparts?

It's going to be interesting to see if Microsoft do well in the console wars with there X-Box unit which, apparently, is a lot more powerful than the PS2 and also offers DVD playback. Microsoft is an established name, maybe not as well known as Sony, but established none-the-less. It'll be interesting to see if the consumer will give X-Box a chance. But, as we know, the kit's only as good as the games on it which is why Microsoft need to secure some top companies like Capcom, Namco, Crave etc.

The same could be said for Nintendo and the Dolphin, except numerous reports have suggested that the Dolphin will NOT offer DVD playback and will only be used as a storage medium. Unfortuantely, Nintendo are a fantasic company, but seem to have this stigma attached to them as a "kiddie" company. Which is why I think some people will be put off from the Dolphin IF Nintendo don't start developing some more adult-orientated games in the vein of Rare's Perfect Dark. It's imperivitive Nintendo realise the market has shifted to the 16-30 year old category and not the 3-14 category anymore.

Onto Sega, Sega have an advantage over all the three of the aforementioned companies. The Dreamcast is already out! Boasting a superb line-up of games which are coming our way around the same time as Sony are set to launch the PS2. Sega MUST market the Dreamcast in order to create a 'spoiler campaign' against Sony's console.

I'm looking forward to the next couple of years. Are you?

Thoughts?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.