GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My tribute to the BEST GAMES HAVE EVER PLAYED!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/04/01 at 22:31
Regular
I have been playing games on various consoles for 12 years now. I've bought loads of games but there are some which stand out from the rest. They are games that I can't (or couldn't) stop playing because to me, they were absolutely supreme. Here is a tribute to the games that I remember the most. I have written about the games that have a little story behind them and listed the rest. They are all unmissable though!

THE SONIC THE HEDGEHOG SERIES (Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles) (Mega Drive)

I played this for the first time on 14th March 1992. It was my 7th birthday when I got my Mega Drive. It was a Japanese Mega Drive and it could play games from all regions which was cool. The original game was one of a few that I got with it. I had never played a Sonic game before and playing this led me on a path to love Sonic games for ever more. I still remember the day I got my Mega Drive. I played on Sonic all day from morning to night never getting bored of it. It was fantastic. It was such a step up from other platformers and although I was complete t**d at it at first, I never got sick of it. In fact I played Sonic The Hedgehog the other day.

After my love for Sonic 1 it was inevitable that I bought Sonic 2. I got this in the November of '92 and again, I loved it to the end. This was and still is my favourite Sonic game. There is so much variety to the levels and you can play as Tails as well! I played this game so much that I actually won a prize for being the best player of them all on the Sega Bus. I treasure the certificate to this day!

Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles sort of go together because you could put the two together to create the ultimate Sonic game. 14 emeralds to collect, 3 characters, loads of levels (around 20) and faultless Sonic gameplay. Pure genius!

NiGHTS INTO DREAMS (Sega Saturn)

This game is without a doubt one of the most original and exciting games ever made. I will never forget the experience of playing this game. The plotline was strangely absorbing, the graphics smooth and colourful, the soundtrack was atmospheric and the gameplay was faultless. I must have played NiGHTS for over 100 hours. I have played the same game over and over again despite it being relatively short. An absolute classic

DIE HARD ARCADE (Sega Saturn)

A strange choice you may think but I had hell trying to find this epic arcade game in the shops. I played the demo over and over again for over 2 years and then finally found the game in a second hand shop in Hull. I bought it immediately, took it home and savoured the delightful Streets of Rage style action. This is the creme de la creme of scrolling beat-em-ups. The 2 player co-operative is probably one of the finest 2 player games ever and the replay value is immense. Brilliant.

VIRTUA TENNIS (Dreamcast)

Virtua Tennis also has a story behind it. I first played it on a demo disc on a copy of Official Dreamcast Magazine. I became addicted to the demo immediately and played it constantly. It was mid-August 2000 at this point. Whilst still counting the days until the Dreamcast release (6th September) I went on holiday to Benidorm. There I found an arcade with a Virtua Tennis machine and I decided to play it. I did this every day for a fortnight, for at least an hour a go. Then I came home and bought the game and still played it constantly until the very end of the World Circuit mode. And now I STILL play it! Amazing stuff and the best sports game ever.

POKEMON YELLOW VERSION (Game Boy Color)

I wasn't really into Pokemon when I bought this in August 2000 along with a Game Boy Color. Now I am totally obsessed with these masterful games. I played this for just 10 minutes before becoming completely absorbed. I carried on playing it every day until the timer reached 40 hours and the game was finished. The game has little replay value, yes, but the experience whilst your playing it and trying to catch every last Pokémon is just unbeatable. If I do another one of these lists expect Pokémon Silver to be included because I have just ordered it!

The games below are the other games that I have found to be completely brilliant over the years. I have played all of these for over 30 hours each and I still think about each of them and want to play them!

THEME HOSPITAL (PC)
THEME PARK (PC)
GRIM FANDANGO (PC)
HALF-LIFE (PC)
THE SIMS (PC)
SIM CITY 3000 (PC)
GRAND THEFT AUTO (PC)
ROLLERCOASTER TYCOON (PC)
SHENMUE (Dreamcast)
METROPOLIS STREET RACER (Dreamcast)
QUAKE III ARENA (Dreamcast)
RAYMAN 2: THE GREAT ESCAPE (Dreamcast)
THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD (Saturn)
THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 (Dreamcast)
UNREAL TOURNAMENT (PC)
SONIC ADVENTURE (Dreamcast)
CRAZY TAXI (Dreamcast)
SENSIBLE SOCCER (Amiga)

I have no doubt that other games that I will buy this year such as Black & White, Sonic Adventure 2, Crazy Taxi 2 and Headhunter will get a similar place in my gaming heart.

Give me one of these games to play and I won't be able to stop!
Tue 10/04/01 at 22:31
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
I have been playing games on various consoles for 12 years now. I've bought loads of games but there are some which stand out from the rest. They are games that I can't (or couldn't) stop playing because to me, they were absolutely supreme. Here is a tribute to the games that I remember the most. I have written about the games that have a little story behind them and listed the rest. They are all unmissable though!

THE SONIC THE HEDGEHOG SERIES (Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles) (Mega Drive)

I played this for the first time on 14th March 1992. It was my 7th birthday when I got my Mega Drive. It was a Japanese Mega Drive and it could play games from all regions which was cool. The original game was one of a few that I got with it. I had never played a Sonic game before and playing this led me on a path to love Sonic games for ever more. I still remember the day I got my Mega Drive. I played on Sonic all day from morning to night never getting bored of it. It was fantastic. It was such a step up from other platformers and although I was complete t**d at it at first, I never got sick of it. In fact I played Sonic The Hedgehog the other day.

After my love for Sonic 1 it was inevitable that I bought Sonic 2. I got this in the November of '92 and again, I loved it to the end. This was and still is my favourite Sonic game. There is so much variety to the levels and you can play as Tails as well! I played this game so much that I actually won a prize for being the best player of them all on the Sega Bus. I treasure the certificate to this day!

Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles sort of go together because you could put the two together to create the ultimate Sonic game. 14 emeralds to collect, 3 characters, loads of levels (around 20) and faultless Sonic gameplay. Pure genius!

NiGHTS INTO DREAMS (Sega Saturn)

This game is without a doubt one of the most original and exciting games ever made. I will never forget the experience of playing this game. The plotline was strangely absorbing, the graphics smooth and colourful, the soundtrack was atmospheric and the gameplay was faultless. I must have played NiGHTS for over 100 hours. I have played the same game over and over again despite it being relatively short. An absolute classic

DIE HARD ARCADE (Sega Saturn)

A strange choice you may think but I had hell trying to find this epic arcade game in the shops. I played the demo over and over again for over 2 years and then finally found the game in a second hand shop in Hull. I bought it immediately, took it home and savoured the delightful Streets of Rage style action. This is the creme de la creme of scrolling beat-em-ups. The 2 player co-operative is probably one of the finest 2 player games ever and the replay value is immense. Brilliant.

VIRTUA TENNIS (Dreamcast)

Virtua Tennis also has a story behind it. I first played it on a demo disc on a copy of Official Dreamcast Magazine. I became addicted to the demo immediately and played it constantly. It was mid-August 2000 at this point. Whilst still counting the days until the Dreamcast release (6th September) I went on holiday to Benidorm. There I found an arcade with a Virtua Tennis machine and I decided to play it. I did this every day for a fortnight, for at least an hour a go. Then I came home and bought the game and still played it constantly until the very end of the World Circuit mode. And now I STILL play it! Amazing stuff and the best sports game ever.

POKEMON YELLOW VERSION (Game Boy Color)

I wasn't really into Pokemon when I bought this in August 2000 along with a Game Boy Color. Now I am totally obsessed with these masterful games. I played this for just 10 minutes before becoming completely absorbed. I carried on playing it every day until the timer reached 40 hours and the game was finished. The game has little replay value, yes, but the experience whilst your playing it and trying to catch every last Pokémon is just unbeatable. If I do another one of these lists expect Pokémon Silver to be included because I have just ordered it!

The games below are the other games that I have found to be completely brilliant over the years. I have played all of these for over 30 hours each and I still think about each of them and want to play them!

THEME HOSPITAL (PC)
THEME PARK (PC)
GRIM FANDANGO (PC)
HALF-LIFE (PC)
THE SIMS (PC)
SIM CITY 3000 (PC)
GRAND THEFT AUTO (PC)
ROLLERCOASTER TYCOON (PC)
SHENMUE (Dreamcast)
METROPOLIS STREET RACER (Dreamcast)
QUAKE III ARENA (Dreamcast)
RAYMAN 2: THE GREAT ESCAPE (Dreamcast)
THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD (Saturn)
THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 (Dreamcast)
UNREAL TOURNAMENT (PC)
SONIC ADVENTURE (Dreamcast)
CRAZY TAXI (Dreamcast)
SENSIBLE SOCCER (Amiga)

I have no doubt that other games that I will buy this year such as Black & White, Sonic Adventure 2, Crazy Taxi 2 and Headhunter will get a similar place in my gaming heart.

Give me one of these games to play and I won't be able to stop!
Tue 10/04/01 at 22:34
All Zelda's, Mario's, Pokemon's, Rare's (not blast corps and killer instinct), crazy taxi, and the rest of my N64 games. These all will stop me doing anything.
Tue 10/04/01 at 22:37
Dr. Dark wrote:
> All Zelda's, Mario's, Pokemon's, Rare's (not blast corps and killer
> instinct), crazy taxi, and the rest of my N64 games. These all will
> stop me doing anything.

Tomb Radier's, Quake's, Doom 2, Wolfstein, CM's, Dungen Keeper, Creatures, and more but can't think of them at the mo.

:)-) - food inserted here
Tue 10/04/01 at 22:40
Regular
"Whatever!"
All Street Fighter's, Resident Evil's, ISS Pro's, THQ Wrestling games...
Thu 12/04/01 at 00:16
Dr. Dark wrote:
> All Zelda's, Mario's, Pokemon's, Rare's (not blast corps and killer
> instinct), crazy taxi, and the rest of my N64 games. These all will
> stop me doing anything.

Dr. Dark?
Thu 12/04/01 at 23:38
Nice choice. I guess you could say I've been around a bit 'cos my favs are of the ZX Spectrum kind...

Check this tribute to 'It's Only Rock'n'Roll' - a true classic...

Those were the days, eh? None of your instant CD loading, flash graphics, cool sound tracks and superb game play. No, games on Sir Clive Sinclar’s over grown calculator were, well crap. But crap in a bloody good way. Imagine your huge frustration after waiting five minutes looking at a block graphic loading page and listening to the screeching blipy noise that put a cat having his balls cut off to shame only to find the bloody game crashes right at the last furlong!

And yet this was the success of these games. Like a little pup waiting patiently for his master to reward him, I, in the early eighties sitting in my body warmer and pants (don’t ask why I can’t remember!), was so over joyed when the bloody game loaded I didn’t care if I had to fire the letter ‘I’ at the letter ‘O’ falling from the top of the screen (and believe me that was a game available for the Spectrum 1k).

Slapped onto the ‘B’ side of Dracula’s Castle or some such titled game, It’s only Rock and Roll was the surprise gem. Its secret? It was horribly addictive. Hours would fly past all in the name of rock and roll. You were a member of a band perusing what bands desire – fans, gigs, money and number one records. Yes, you got to master mind your whole pop career from choosing your manager, to choosing the words for your next hit. The beauty of this game was its simplicity but also its depth.Each section of the game was simple in itself but there seems so much to do.

Like all good strategy games the trick was to make the game challenging yet achievable. The challenge was to build every section up to be more successful than the last time. Having three songs in development was so exciting! Checking to see if their development ratings were high enough to launch to the unsuspecting record buying public was one of the highlights. But the real pleasure was to watch the computer spew out utter rubbish and fob them off as lyrics. But just in real life, the public lapped them up! I recall watching with as much excitement as waiting for a picture of some busty maid baring all to load form a dodgey web site, the top 20 reveal ever so painfully position by position. I also recall notching up a few number ones and leaping around my bedroom air guitar in hand.

Another feature was building up your fan base. Not as easy as it sounds. Staring off with a couple of your mates saying they’ve heard of you and a mangy dog with one leg following your every hit of your drum as your so call fan base, was a great was of setting you of on the road to stardom. Slowly but surely the more gigs you played the more the fans would turn up. Why care for them anyway, you may ask from your safe security protected hotel room? Well, you needed fans in order to justify to the record company that you had what it takes and more likely that you had enough fans to make enough money for your band’s drinking habits and release records. You needed to gig in order to get fans and the more fans you got the better and bigger the venues you could fill and therefore the easier to get a record released. Simple really?

Well, not quite. Sometimes your fans would riot and trash shop windows and generally cause trouble which in turn prompted the police to fine you and give you bad press that did effect your fan base numbers. Other such obstacles would crop up but for the name of Bon Jovi I can’t remember what.

If that wasn’t enough to keep you playing well into the wee small hours then surly the best bit of the whole game would. So far I’ve described the game in all its glory so try to imagine that up until the best bit, it was all text based! Yes, the ruddy lot was a series of jumbled words for lyrics, a top 20 list, cash flow graphs and news reports of the ups and downs of your temperamental group. The real treasure the programmers held back was the vision that was your band playing live on stage!

Picture several stick insects waggling various equally thin instruments up and down in a repetitive nature for two minutes in full black and white. But how I loved them. It all added to the crazy world of computer rock and roll.
A far cry from SimCity or Civilisation, It’s Only Rock and Roll is pure gaming magic. It is one of the true original games for the home computer that can match a good few of today’s slick productions in its sheer game play. And as far as I’m concerned if it ain’t got game play what the elephant’s tackle has it got?
Thu 12/04/01 at 23:40
Shenmue is the only game that excists in my eyes.what a game..................cant wait for the sequel
Thu 12/04/01 at 23:43
"Uzi Lover"
It was a great game, but it was a little to short. Can't blame them though, look at the whole design concept of it.
Fri 13/04/01 at 00:01
It was short but......wasnt metal gear solid,but that didt stop it from being a classic
Fri 13/04/01 at 00:03
"Uzi Lover"
To true

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.