GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broadband Question"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 03/04/04 at 23:46
Regular
Does anyone else have Telewest Digital broadband?

If u do, u might just have realised just like me, my family and friends who subscribe to telewest's services, that their technicans/engineers who install these services, do they really know what they are doing or have any qualifications???

All of us, who have had some of their services fitted seem to see that they make a mess of everthing they do.

For example: Question for everybody here - What is the ethernet port that PC manufacture's have started putting on their PC's, designed for?
Of course it's for either broadband
or home networking!

So.... why do the engineers connect your broadband into the USB port, everytime one of my friends or family have this installed???

Why don't they check to see if their PC has one first.

The USB port is not designed for that use, it is for periferals e.g printers, scanners.

I mean u don't connect dial-up internet through the USB port DO U???

I think they need some training!!!

Does anybody else have this same problem with telewest or any other provider?

Thanx
Barry
Sat 03/04/04 at 23:46
Regular
Does anyone else have Telewest Digital broadband?

If u do, u might just have realised just like me, my family and friends who subscribe to telewest's services, that their technicans/engineers who install these services, do they really know what they are doing or have any qualifications???

All of us, who have had some of their services fitted seem to see that they make a mess of everthing they do.

For example: Question for everybody here - What is the ethernet port that PC manufacture's have started putting on their PC's, designed for?
Of course it's for either broadband
or home networking!

So.... why do the engineers connect your broadband into the USB port, everytime one of my friends or family have this installed???

Why don't they check to see if their PC has one first.

The USB port is not designed for that use, it is for periferals e.g printers, scanners.

I mean u don't connect dial-up internet through the USB port DO U???

I think they need some training!!!

Does anybody else have this same problem with telewest or any other provider?

Thanx
Barry
Sun 04/04/04 at 09:36
Regular
HA!

Dont you realise that it is easier/cheaper for them to supply a USB modem for you.

Also they treat most people as though they shouldn't touch a computer and shove a USB modem in the USB Port, its easier.

If you want an ethernet modem, then you buy an ethernet modem.

EDIT - You put 'Problem' and asked if any of us experience this with our ISP's, well im on demon and got my 'USB' Modem free, so im not complaining. If you had to pay for your modem, then you should have stated to the guy that installed it and asked for an ethernet modem or a router.
Sun 04/04/04 at 16:50
Regular
"Nobody Home"
lol. Do you not realise that almost ALL ISPs give you a USB Modem!? They are the idiots choice, plug it in and away you go.

You said that USB is for Printers, Scanners, etc. Basically external peripherals and input/output devices... well, wats a modem buddy? Its both and input and an output :D. USB, "UNIVERSAL" Serial Bus. USB Can take anything with USB, it does not just have a sole purpous for scanners and printers and like. The idea of USB is its for people who are too scared to open their PC... like 90% of Computer Users, so its the only real option for ISPs.

Some ISPs give you an option of what you want? Internal, External, or a router, etc. Maybe you should have gone with a good professional ISP like force9.net who understand not everyone is a simpleton and give you the option.
Wed 07/04/04 at 22:39
Regular
Yes but the thing is, the modem has a USB and a ethernet port.
The ethernet port is made for broadband, this is what i was complaining about. what is the point of connecting it through USB when u have ethernet port specially designed for that purpose.
there is no point in filling up your USB ports.

We currently have broadband through cable which is the best way of connecting to internet anyway, connecting through your BT line is the cheap way of doing it.
The BT line is thinner and poorer quality, whereas cable comes throu in fibre-optic connection, which the highest quality you can get, as fibre-optic allow the information to be transferred as light signals.as there is no electrical signals being passed, there can be no loss of quality whatsoever, and the modem is the lastest out, (it is 4in high, by 1in wide, by 3in long) and is now connected by a brand new CAT6e cable, the fastest on the market.

It was just the way that the engineers work that i was complaining about.

thanx for your helpful service!
Wed 07/04/04 at 22:42
Regular
and by the way the broadband modem isn't actually a peripheral, it's just a digital converter, that transfers the cable signal into the right type of connection, that's why my modem is so small.
Wed 07/04/04 at 22:46
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Barryk wrote:
> We currently have broadband through cable which is the best way of
> connecting to internet anyway, connecting through your BT line is the
> cheap way of doing it.
> The BT line is thinner and poorer quality, whereas cable comes throu
> in fibre-optic connection, which the highest quality you can get, as
> fibre-optic allow the information to be transferred as light
> signals.as there is no electrical signals being passed, there can be
> no loss of quality whatsoever, and the modem is the lastest out, (it
> is 4in high, by 1in wide, by 3in long) and is now connected by a
> brand new CAT6e cable, the fastest on the market.

ADSL isnt a cheap way of doing things. What connection do you have? As the fibre optics and CAT6e cable while fast arent even being used to there max at all so theres little point of having them apart from future upgrades to 100Mb sort of speeds. Phonelines do broadband fine considering in Sweden you can get 26Mb both up and down through your standard phone cable.

I also think that the cable areas with Fibre-optics only have them to the main cable box in the street and then from then on its normal copper wire. Also once it gets to your house it will also be copper.
Wed 07/04/04 at 22:59
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
USB is far far easier to setup than ethernet, and what happens if the ethernet port is taken up as it is in my case?

I'd prefer it to be via USB, as otherwise Iwouldn't be able to connect my computer to the other one and have the internet at the same time...
Wed 07/04/04 at 23:04
Regular
yes but it's still better than BT as they don't use fibre-optic at all,
so it's still better than no fibre-optic at all.
It is the best way of connecting any equipment, i've got my sony wega dolby-digital surround sound system connected to my DVD player and sony freeview box by fibre-optic connection. It's the best way to connect as i said before there is no electrical signals, so no loss of quality, the sound is transferred as data bitstream rather than anologue.
and my connection is 100mbps.
Wed 07/04/04 at 23:07
Regular
yes well is suppose u would just put in another ethernet port in a spare PCI bay port.
Wed 07/04/04 at 23:26
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
There's no spare bays now in my big PC.

It's old.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.