GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"h-dsk/b-band"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/04/01 at 19:39
Regular
whens the hard disk/broad band internet going to come out, does anyone know?
Tue 10/04/01 at 19:39
whens the hard disk/broad band internet going to come out, does anyone know?
Tue 10/04/01 at 21:50
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I would have to say , a while yet. Its not out in Japan yet. I think it might be out in Japan by the end of the year maybe the summer. Dont forget that broadband internet isnt that big over here yet. Its mainly the bigger cities that have it. Also with what BT charge or even the cheaper NTL it still could be quite alot of money for people who cant afford it. I wanted to get broadband internet for my PC but my parents wouldnt let me and it wasnt out round my area. It would be good if you could use it for the PC aswell. Even the X-Box wont have broadband internet straight out of the box. They said it would be they are bringing that out a year later. So with the X-Box getting released in early 2002 here, the broadband for X-Box will be around 2003. So my guess is that Sony will want it out every where by 2003 at the earliest. Depends on how BT and other companies do in installing all the broadband capabilities as the PS2 is supposed to have much faster connection than what is available.
Tue 10/04/01 at 22:29
"High polygon count"
It's due out in the UK by the end of this year.
Wed 11/04/01 at 11:13
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
That is quite soon. I didnt think they would get it over here that soon as broadband internet needs to be installed first. Is the PS2 having a higher speed connection than whats currently available?
Wed 11/04/01 at 11:27
"High polygon count"
The unit combines both the HD and Broadband connection, and Sony want the HD available as soon as possible. Even if the Broadband unit is unused initially, at least it will be there for the future.

In theory, it could be used with any broadband intenet connection, provided the necessary software was available for connection. It remains to be seen whether or not Sony - or a third party - will release software for existing broadband networks such as NTL, or whether users will be restricted to Sony's own network when it becomes available.

Personally I think Sony's best option, to gain wide acceptance of the add-on, will be to allow its use on any network, with users only needing to connect to their own secure system (when available) to download game add-ons etc.

As for the speed, I believe it is 100Mbit/second, and is probably based on existing Ethernet technology.
Thu 12/04/01 at 09:46
Is any of the add-ons going to increase the PS2's graphical performance?

Speed & graphics increacer?
Thu 12/04/01 at 11:27
"High polygon count"
Unknown at this time, but possible, I'd imagine.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.