GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Future Of Gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/07/00 at 00:31
Regular
If you ask me then the future of gameplay could be looking bleak, because the way i see it is that Sony will soon completely dominate the whole market. This saddens me because I have been playing since the original breakthrough consoles of the NES and MasterSystem. Through the consoles that opened everyones eyes to the gaming world (the Snes and Mega Drive).
Then the world first witnesed the playstation and its less successful competitor the Sega Saturn.
People bought the Playstation by the bucketloads (and still are) they more or less shunned the Saturn (This was almost the death of Sega)
Then came the N64 people were put off buying this console because of the high prices and costs of the games (this included third party developers) But slowly people saw the general high quality of the few games that were produced and bought, and is still doing quite well.
I have owned all of the above consoles and am able to judge what i feel is the best console and would say that the N64 and the PSX are quite equal.

Anyway as Sega wait to see if the Dreamcast saves the company, Sony are getting ready to swamp the market with the PS2, Knowing that people will buy it on the strength of the name, not particually being bothered of the quality of the gams themselves. As for the Dolphin well thats yet tobe decided.

In my eyes people should not just blow down other conlsoles without trying them first which is whats been happening lately.
And developers should look back to the older consoles like the snes and look at the high quality of those games before churning out crap game after crap game (which is what happened to the playstion, with good games occasionally sifting out through the crap)

So finally the fuure of gaming is really in our hands and is up to us to make choices, whether we want a sony future, a nintendo future or a future of many platforms, Its our choice.
Tue 04/07/00 at 00:31
If you ask me then the future of gameplay could be looking bleak, because the way i see it is that Sony will soon completely dominate the whole market. This saddens me because I have been playing since the original breakthrough consoles of the NES and MasterSystem. Through the consoles that opened everyones eyes to the gaming world (the Snes and Mega Drive).
Then the world first witnesed the playstation and its less successful competitor the Sega Saturn.
People bought the Playstation by the bucketloads (and still are) they more or less shunned the Saturn (This was almost the death of Sega)
Then came the N64 people were put off buying this console because of the high prices and costs of the games (this included third party developers) But slowly people saw the general high quality of the few games that were produced and bought, and is still doing quite well.
I have owned all of the above consoles and am able to judge what i feel is the best console and would say that the N64 and the PSX are quite equal.

Anyway as Sega wait to see if the Dreamcast saves the company, Sony are getting ready to swamp the market with the PS2, Knowing that people will buy it on the strength of the name, not particually being bothered of the quality of the gams themselves. As for the Dolphin well thats yet tobe decided.

In my eyes people should not just blow down other conlsoles without trying them first which is whats been happening lately.
And developers should look back to the older consoles like the snes and look at the high quality of those games before churning out crap game after crap game (which is what happened to the playstion, with good games occasionally sifting out through the crap)

So finally the fuure of gaming is really in our hands and is up to us to make choices, whether we want a sony future, a nintendo future or a future of many platforms, Its our choice.
Tue 04/07/00 at 13:45
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I think that you're wrong to say that the PS2 wil basically destroy all other consoles. The reason for the PSXs success was that it had great games and no competition. The saturn waas overpriced and launch too late, and three months after the N64's launch it only had 4 games on it!

Now the PS2 has real competition from Sega- who have got their act together and are producing some of the best games that i've seen for a while- and Nintendo- who will have a far stornger launch than the N64. That's not mentioning Microsoft's X-box which will have hundreds of million of dollars in advertisments.

So remember, the PSX was successful because it was the best console on the market. The PS2 has real competition and Sony seems to think (wrongly) that the PSX's success will make the PS2 successful.

Rav
Tue 04/07/00 at 16:53
Regular
I don't think PS2 will destroy the market I think it will be a battle between X box and dolphhin and PS2 will take rd place. Especially after this suicidal mail order not in the shops till after christmas rubbish.
Tue 04/07/00 at 19:02
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I think you're right about the PS2 not destroying the market- after all, how many casual gamers are going to preorder the console through Sony!? But as for the X box and Dolphin having the top 2 spots, I disagree. No doubt the Dolphin will hav great games like Zelda and Mario. However, the DC will have been out for 2 years, and the PS2 out for a whole year and will ben out on the shelves. Also, both these console will have a massive librar of games and the DC's onlin network will be up.

As for the Xbox- No one has yet to see more han a demo for it. After all, it's the games that matter, right? Microsoft may have a strong name, but until I see actual games for the machine I can't really see it as a viable contender. Also, how many gamers are going to wait ages for the Xbox and dolphin (which has an Autumn 2001 launch in Japan!), while the DC and PS2 will have dropped i price and have "platinum games" going really cheaply. After all, how many people waited for the N64 while the PSX had hundreds of games already out?

Rav

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.