GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console Wars: Broaden Your Horizons!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/04/01 at 13:23
Regular
Consoles wars have been doing the rounds since consoles began, even in the days of
the Comodore64 and the Spectrum there have been console wars. Us gamesplayers just
seem intent on proving that we have the best, for some inane reason, we feel this will
prove something to ourselves, quite what, I still haven't found out!

I am as much to blame as the next man, however, I do have to say that I can feel
myself maturing and realising that the constant "Mines better then yours..." doesn't
prove anything, to anyone. Back in the days of the Commodore64 I can still remember spending more time saying "mines better then yours" to my fellow Spectrum players then I did playing the actual games. I'm not saying Console wars are a bad thing, it's just we should realise that each and every console has something that the next doesn't. So for that simple reason, we should have them all...and if we can't, there is no need in trying to kid ourselves that the console we don't have, yet secretly want, is no good, or that the console we have is the best in all areas.

I currently have no good words for the Dreamcast, (Sorry FM :-D) however this is something which steams back many years, to the Saturn...yeah, you remember that? I feel that if Sega can produce something as poor as that, then I don't want to know. I should know of course, that we all make mistakes, and we should learn from them, I'm sure Sega will. However, it may already be too late...the console is doomed in my view, as soon as the GameCube and Xbox hit our shores the console will be finished.

However, it already has a classic in the shape of Soul Calibur and so how we will look
back on the Dreamcast in years to come, is anyone's guess! The console war is really
hotting up at the moment, with the arrival of the PS2 only a few months ago and Nintendo's very own next generation console, not to mention the X-box, and so us gamers are once again trying to prove that 'our' company will produce the next best console.

The problem lies in the fact that sometimes we no longer worry about getting the best
games, but just our consoles successor. The fact of the matter is we all live for one thing, to see and play the best games around at the current time, and to be able to say in years to come...I was there! However, this can only be achieved if you own more then one console, why? Well, because each console offers something that the next one doesn't. If you stick to one console, you are limiting what you see and play, and that is not a good thing. Brand loyalty is a good thing, yet when it goes too far...when people keep talking about their experiences on other console, you have to question what your missing out on. I know I certainly do! As much as I rubbish and bad mouth the PS2 I am still scraping around desperatly trying to find the money for one!

So, why limited yourself to one company's style of the video game scene, at the end of the day you will be the only loser. Console wars will go on forever, we will continue to back our own systems, continue to rip the proverbial out of others, yet will we continue to live our dreams? Well, if you stick to one console...no, if you broaden your horizons you will find what you really want. We as gamers are about to enter the next stage of
the video gaming scene, we about to live the future that I’m sure everyone has dreamt about, our expectations are getting ever greater, we want more, we expect more...hell we even need more.

We have never had it so good, so just take advantage of the situation, it's true that what
you don't know won't hurt, but if you don't at least have a look at what else is out there,
you will never know what adventures you have been missing out on. We are all of the same breed. We all play games to get some enjoyment out of them, and so what does it matter which system we play on, as long as we can live our dreams...that's all we should be worrying about, not whether mine is better the yours!
Tue 10/04/01 at 13:23
Regular
"You've upset me"
Consoles wars have been doing the rounds since consoles began, even in the days of
the Comodore64 and the Spectrum there have been console wars. Us gamesplayers just
seem intent on proving that we have the best, for some inane reason, we feel this will
prove something to ourselves, quite what, I still haven't found out!

I am as much to blame as the next man, however, I do have to say that I can feel
myself maturing and realising that the constant "Mines better then yours..." doesn't
prove anything, to anyone. Back in the days of the Commodore64 I can still remember spending more time saying "mines better then yours" to my fellow Spectrum players then I did playing the actual games. I'm not saying Console wars are a bad thing, it's just we should realise that each and every console has something that the next doesn't. So for that simple reason, we should have them all...and if we can't, there is no need in trying to kid ourselves that the console we don't have, yet secretly want, is no good, or that the console we have is the best in all areas.

I currently have no good words for the Dreamcast, (Sorry FM :-D) however this is something which steams back many years, to the Saturn...yeah, you remember that? I feel that if Sega can produce something as poor as that, then I don't want to know. I should know of course, that we all make mistakes, and we should learn from them, I'm sure Sega will. However, it may already be too late...the console is doomed in my view, as soon as the GameCube and Xbox hit our shores the console will be finished.

However, it already has a classic in the shape of Soul Calibur and so how we will look
back on the Dreamcast in years to come, is anyone's guess! The console war is really
hotting up at the moment, with the arrival of the PS2 only a few months ago and Nintendo's very own next generation console, not to mention the X-box, and so us gamers are once again trying to prove that 'our' company will produce the next best console.

The problem lies in the fact that sometimes we no longer worry about getting the best
games, but just our consoles successor. The fact of the matter is we all live for one thing, to see and play the best games around at the current time, and to be able to say in years to come...I was there! However, this can only be achieved if you own more then one console, why? Well, because each console offers something that the next one doesn't. If you stick to one console, you are limiting what you see and play, and that is not a good thing. Brand loyalty is a good thing, yet when it goes too far...when people keep talking about their experiences on other console, you have to question what your missing out on. I know I certainly do! As much as I rubbish and bad mouth the PS2 I am still scraping around desperatly trying to find the money for one!

So, why limited yourself to one company's style of the video game scene, at the end of the day you will be the only loser. Console wars will go on forever, we will continue to back our own systems, continue to rip the proverbial out of others, yet will we continue to live our dreams? Well, if you stick to one console...no, if you broaden your horizons you will find what you really want. We as gamers are about to enter the next stage of
the video gaming scene, we about to live the future that I’m sure everyone has dreamt about, our expectations are getting ever greater, we want more, we expect more...hell we even need more.

We have never had it so good, so just take advantage of the situation, it's true that what
you don't know won't hurt, but if you don't at least have a look at what else is out there,
you will never know what adventures you have been missing out on. We are all of the same breed. We all play games to get some enjoyment out of them, and so what does it matter which system we play on, as long as we can live our dreams...that's all we should be worrying about, not whether mine is better the yours!
Tue 10/04/01 at 13:25
Regular
There is a forum for this....
Tue 10/04/01 at 13:27
Regular
"You've upset me"
Pah! Last time I use Word before posting something on here!
Tue 10/04/01 at 13:28
Regular
"You've upset me"
Yeah but Sniper this is a console wars post with a difference, try reading it.
Tue 10/04/01 at 13:32
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Nice post RBS, and I think you made the right decision in posting in on the FOG rather than the console wars topic because you haven't been biased. Nice work :-)
Tue 10/04/01 at 16:06
Regular
RBS, someone told me you're 12 years old, is this true? Its not a problem, im just wondering how you were saying "mines better than yours" about your C64.

Werent they around about 10 years ago? So you would have been 2 years old.

Please correct me if im wrong.

As i've already said, im not bothered about your age. You post good stuff, im just curious about the whole C64/Spectrum thing.
Tue 10/04/01 at 17:10
Regular
"You've upset me"
My brother had one when I was four and one of my friends at the time had a Spectrum. I was never not argueing with him about which one was better :-D
Tue 10/04/01 at 17:16
Regular
"You've upset me"
Oh and yes it is true I am an ickle 12 year old :-D
Tue 10/04/01 at 17:17
Regular
Lol! I remember all those playground arguments of "mines better than yours as well"
Tue 10/04/01 at 17:19
Regular
"You've upset me"
Well it still happens today, "the PS2's better than the N64"
"no it bloody well is not"
"yes it f---ing well is"

And then people use ruder and ruder swear words to try and win the arguement. It's really funny watching it.

I am however above all that despite being about 4 ft 5 :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.