GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bill Hicks Booltegs"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/03/04 at 14:08
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
So I stumbled across a video bootleg of Bill Hicks' last show (I think it was at Igby's in LA in '93) which is pretty low quality but a great hour's viewing. I've heard most of it on audio recordings but it was much better to see him performing.

I've got the officially released DVDs, the Sane Man video and stuff but has anyone come across any other shows available worth tracking down?

I'm in a kinda cynical mood. I need some more inspiration from Bill while I fill my hate hump.
Thu 01/04/04 at 08:44
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> He is very similar, and based a lot of his act on Hicks, yes, but he
> is different. Hicks is pretty laid back for the most part, where as
> Leary is full of energy, with his screaming abuse acting like a ted
> loon.

I've always found Hicks to be harder and less forgiving, whilst Leary always falls back on a safe happy ending - Leary always seemed to want the audience to like him, whilst Hicks never seemed that fussed?... That and Leary sold out his b!tch soul to every cheap a$ed advertising exec who came along, whilst Hicks stated true to his word throughout his life?
Thu 01/04/04 at 01:31
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
And the Hicks version that came before was:

"You hear about these two kids, big fans of that band Judas Priest? They listened to the band then killed themselves....wow...two less gas station attendants in the world. What? I don't mean to be cruel but I don't think we lost a cure for cancer here. Trust me, there'll be no delay in the shuttle program because of this. But again, nobody asked the question that I wanted asking at the trial. There are these subliminal messages, backwards messages on the album ok? Here's the question that did not get asked in this retarded case...WHAT PERFORMER WANTS THEIR AUDIENCE DEAD?"
Wed 31/03/04 at 20:22
Regular
"Let's get this straight. Depressed teenagers are buying heavy metal records, going home and listening to these records, then blowing their heads off with shotguns? ..... where's the problem? .... It's called natural selection, it's bottom of the f***ing food chain. I say we put extra subliminal messages on there - 'Kill the band, kill your parents, then kill yourself. Make sure you get your whole head in front of the shotgun .... thank you' ...."
Wed 31/03/04 at 09:50
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Loki, I take it you've got all the recent CD releases that came out
> last year? Flying Saucer tour, Dangerous, Arizona Bay and the like?
> They're not exactly rare and a lot of stuff is repeated, but they're
> worth getting.
>
> Lenny Bruce - there's someone I've never listened to before. He any
> good? From the same school of comedy, I'm led to believe?

Yeah, got the CDs. I think one of the video bootlegs I got was actually the recording on one of those CDs. Well worth watching though. Let me know next time you'll pop in and I'll sort you out ;) Did you ever get the Sane Man video, that's worth seeing - some of his earlier material.

And I've always meant to check out Lenny Bruce too, not got round to it yet though.
Wed 31/03/04 at 09:47
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Sandbox Magician wrote:
> Try and get hold of the show in Chicago, where Bill completely looses
> it with a member of the audience.

Got this last night, thanks. I've heard it on CD before but it really is worth seeing. A truly bizarre mixture of righteous fury and self-pitying depression. Kinda impressive in his misanthropy though. "Hilter was just an underachiever... etc."
Wed 31/03/04 at 00:46
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> Hicks is pretty laid back for the most part, where as
> Leary is full of energy, with his screaming abuse acting like a ted
> loon.

Hmm, you need to watch more Hicks then. He's one angry man. I particularly remember his tirade against pop music ("PLAY FROM YOUR F*****G HEEAAAARRRRRRTT!") and discussing what he'd like to do to non-smokers. Angry angry angry.

Loki, I take it you've got all the recent CD releases that came out last year? Flying Saucer tour, Dangerous, Arizona Bay and the like? They're not exactly rare and a lot of stuff is repeated, but they're worth getting.

Lenny Bruce - there's someone I've never listened to before. He any good? From the same school of comedy, I'm led to believe?
Tue 30/03/04 at 21:43
Regular
Sandbox Magician wrote:
> That'd be because Leary stole pretty much of Hicks material, not to
> mention attitude.

Gah, every time I mention Denis Leary on here I get the same reply.

He is very similar, and based a lot of his act on Hicks, yes, but he is different. Hicks is pretty laid back for the most part, where as Leary is full of energy, with his screaming abuse acting like a ted loon.

I like them both.
Tue 30/03/04 at 19:33
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
That'd be because Leary stole pretty much of Hicks material, not to mention attitude.
Tue 30/03/04 at 17:39
Regular
I've seen two Bill Hicks stand up DVD's, but can't remember what they were called. The first one I saw was very good, hilarious in fact, but the second one was recorded in London I think, and was less than great.

He's a great comedian though, there's no doubt.

I also like Denis Leary who is a tad more psychotic than Hicks.
Tue 30/03/04 at 15:23
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Try and get hold of the show in Chicago, where Bill completely looses it with a member of the audience.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.