GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Offical Controller Flippers!!!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/03/04 at 02:12
Regular
"2 WHEELS ONLY"
I just wondered what everyone else thought of the Gamecube's Flippers on the controller. I personally think it is pretty crap and poorly researched by Nintendo. Don't get me wrong, I like Nintendo alot, but I think they messed up. Flippers should be a button (like the ones on PS2) because if they need to be pressed you get a quick reaction out of it. The flippers on GC's controller doesn't actually do anything till you press it right in (quite a way compared to other controllers). At first I thought it may be touch sensitive but that is also missing. Your views?
Mon 05/04/04 at 00:57
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Yeah, Nintendo make the best controllers.

The N64 and Cube controllers are faultless, maybe the Z-button is a little cack but I think its fine.

The N64 controller ruled :)
Wed 31/03/04 at 19:01
Regular
Cooky wrote:
> I thought the PS2 pad was good in that it had 2 buttons either side,
> but there's always been something that's bugged me about the PS2 pad
> (Other than you need to dislocate your thumbs to use the sticks for a
> period of time). What else bugs me about it is the lack of support
> fingers you have while using that pad! While using two trigger
> fingers your left with only two fingers supporting the bottom of the
> pad to hold it in place. The lack of extra fingers means your two
> little fingers need to support the weight of the pad, plus the
> pressure of all your other fingers hammering down on the buttons.
> After a while this just becomes uncomfortable!

Hmm, good point. I always tried to use one finger for both buttons on each shoulder, which was sometimes a bit lame, but just 2 fingers underneath would suck too.

Then again, how much of that discomfort with the ps2 pad is down to the general design?
Even with 2 supporting fingers, the cube pad would still be more ocmfortable than the ps2 one. The way your hand just naturally cups around it would provide a lot of support.

I'm expecting pads with buttons near the fingers on the pad 'handles' in the next couple of console generations...

> Half the time you could play a game with just one
> hand (no dodgy remarks about that).

Must.. take.. pi$$ :^D
Wed 31/03/04 at 14:55
Regular
"thursdayton!"
The plunger-style GC shoulder buttons rock, much better than just normal buttons.
Wed 31/03/04 at 09:16
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Loquacious Duck wrote:
> Personally, I think it'd have been good if the cube pads had been
> given 2 shoulder buttons each side, one like the analogue triggers
> and one 'normal' button - instead of just giving us the z-button.

I use to think this, but I'd have to disagree now.

I thought the PS2 pad was good in that it had 2 buttons either side, but there's always been something that's bugged me about the PS2 pad (Other than you need to dislocate your thumbs to use the sticks for a period of time). What else bugs me about it is the lack of support fingers you have while using that pad! While using two trigger fingers your left with only two fingers supporting the bottom of the pad to hold it in place. The lack of extra fingers means your two little fingers need to support the weight of the pad, plus the pressure of all your other fingers hammering down on the buttons. After a while this just becomes uncomfortable!

You maybe wondering why I'd given this so much thought. It came about when I was thinking what made Nintendo's pads, soooooo much better. Take the N64 pad as an example, possibly my favourite pad. The thing I really liked about this pad is that you could just relax while using it. Half the time you could play a game with just one hand (no dodgy remarks about that).

Just hold each pad in just your left hand and see which is the most comfortable. Firstly it'll be the N64, with its central approach to the holding position, then it'll be the GameCube's because your only loosing 1 finger to a trigger button, but then finally hold the PS2 pad and it's just ...erh... uncomfortable! (notices he missed off the X-Box pad, specially the original, because that was just attrocious).

So that is why I think Nintendo were right to stick with 1 shoulder button. {on the left hand side}

:)
Tue 30/03/04 at 21:23
Regular
The game always responds no matter how hard you push in.
Tue 30/03/04 at 20:48
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
I never use th Z button, it irritates me and gets in the way, otherwise the GC controller is faultless.
Tue 30/03/04 at 02:22
Regular
Jon Y The Sly wrote:
> The flippers on GC's controller doesn't actually
> do anything till you press it right in

Not true. They're analogue, so they register the distance you push them in, and games can respond accordingly (usually a bigger reaction the more you push them in).

Also, when they are fully pushed in, some games treat this like a seperate button, usually with the same kind of effect as pushed in almost the full distance, plus some other extra response.

Personally, I think it'd have been good if the cube pads had been given 2 shoulder buttons each side, one like the analogue triggers and one 'normal' button - instead of just giving us the z-button.
Tue 30/03/04 at 02:12
Regular
"2 WHEELS ONLY"
I just wondered what everyone else thought of the Gamecube's Flippers on the controller. I personally think it is pretty crap and poorly researched by Nintendo. Don't get me wrong, I like Nintendo alot, but I think they messed up. Flippers should be a button (like the ones on PS2) because if they need to be pressed you get a quick reaction out of it. The flippers on GC's controller doesn't actually do anything till you press it right in (quite a way compared to other controllers). At first I thought it may be touch sensitive but that is also missing. Your views?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.