GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The PS2 success will be partly down to...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/07/00 at 13:27
Regular
...Piracy! In the wake of the PS2’s new-found ability to accept “backup” CD’s with the use of a “mod” chip, I’ve jotted down my thoughts why Sony will succed with it’s PS2.

The PSX has become one of the biggest selling consoles of all time and a HUGE reason for that is because, quite simply, it’s easy to pirate games for the system. How many people do you know who DOESN’T have their PSX “modified”? Piracy is an enormous problem in the industry; losses have been recorded in the region of £2 Billion compared to earnings of something in the region of £1 Billion.

I mean, if you have the opportunity to own a new release for £5 instead of paying £40 for it, which one are you going to go for regardless whether it’s legal or not?

Now, the PS2 has had a “mod” chip recently made available which allows you to play BOTH PSX and PS2 “backup” games. Who’s to say that in a year’s time when and if DVD Writers are widely available and reasonably priced that the PS2 is going the same way as it’s predecessor? I think you and I know, that the PS2 is headed the same way as it’s counterpart. It’ll sell loads! Games will be pirated easy! Therefore, budding Long John Silver’s out there will be forking out £10 for games instead of paying £50. Thus ensuring the success of the PS2 ironically because of Piracy!

Now that’s sad!

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?
Wed 05/07/00 at 17:59
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Programs like UltraHLE will let you play backups on N64 games on your pc very easily - even 4 player split screen goldeneye runs. And these aren't illegal.
BTW, buying pirate games isn't illegal, selling them is
Wed 05/07/00 at 08:47
Regular
This is part of the reason why N64 use carts. Everybody knows that you can if you wanted obtain dodgy copies of PC or PS games but have you ever seen a copied N64 game. No, because it is not worth the pirates time and effort to copy them and it would be far more expensive this is another of the carts many advantages because it cuts out the pirates and allows smaller developers to keep their heads above the water and continue to make good games. Rav is right don't buy pirate games it just ruins companies and effects the quality of following software because they have less to spend on the development of new games.
Tue 04/07/00 at 22:59
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
First off, I don't support software piracy in anyway, shape or form. I believe the designers have put a lot of hard work into their product and the least I can do is put a few more pence in their pocket.

As long as software exists, so will pirates. It'll never truly be eradicated, but all we can do is support the companies who develop these games and shun the pirates.

Secondly, you've raised some good points. I guess I didn't think my ideas entirely through, but what I'm attempting to do is look at the possible success of the PS2 from every conceivable angle. Rav, Do you think that the PSX would have shifted as many units as it did in the last 2 years if people were aware that it wasn't possible to pirate games? I've spoken to a few of my friends regarding their purchase of a PSX within the last 2 years and the most common answer I was given was because "they can get it chipped and get copied games".

The point I was attempting to make with regards to the PS2 was; Would the consumer buy it based on the fact that they could obtain pirate software? IMO I think that a lot of people bought the PSX so they could play pirated games. But then again, it could be my over-active imagination.

S/teve.
Kill Piracy!
Tue 04/07/00 at 19:14
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
First off, consoles make a loss on each hardware unit. The companies that make the hardware can only make up for this on software sales. If piracy were to continue, Sony would not have a success on the PS2 as it would lose out. Already in Japan, the Ps2 is being bought more for DVD playback, and sony are making huge loses as few games are being bought!

In addition, piracy is not a good thing for gamers (I don't know whether Bleeders was claiming that it is or not, but I'll jus say why). If you are a games company, and pirated copies of your games are made, then you make no profit for these copies. This means low revenues and means that games do not get sequals and development is slowed due to low capital.

Finally, I don't know whether you are aware of this, but the Dreamcast now has pirated games. First you insert a CD into the DC. This is a boot disc and "pretends" that it is a GD disc (the type the DC use). Then you put a copied game onto a CD using a CD writer and insert it into the DC. The machine will believe that it is a GD and run it normally. The only problem is that GD hold 1 Gb of info- more than a CD. To combat this, many pirated games have sound files missing, and are not perfect.

So, don't buy pirated games- in the long run it is the gamers who lose out. Also don't use excusses like "This developer is a big company and can aford to lose money." In reality, the retailers take most profit, and the development houses are more financialy strained than yo think. Finally, piracy will never held companies. If I buy a PS2 and then but pirated games then Sony lose out on the hardware, and companies who put lots of effort into games also lose out. Okay, so not every pirated game would be bought if it were not in pirated form, but it still puts a burden on the industry.

Rav
Tue 04/07/00 at 13:27
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
...Piracy! In the wake of the PS2’s new-found ability to accept “backup” CD’s with the use of a “mod” chip, I’ve jotted down my thoughts why Sony will succed with it’s PS2.

The PSX has become one of the biggest selling consoles of all time and a HUGE reason for that is because, quite simply, it’s easy to pirate games for the system. How many people do you know who DOESN’T have their PSX “modified”? Piracy is an enormous problem in the industry; losses have been recorded in the region of £2 Billion compared to earnings of something in the region of £1 Billion.

I mean, if you have the opportunity to own a new release for £5 instead of paying £40 for it, which one are you going to go for regardless whether it’s legal or not?

Now, the PS2 has had a “mod” chip recently made available which allows you to play BOTH PSX and PS2 “backup” games. Who’s to say that in a year’s time when and if DVD Writers are widely available and reasonably priced that the PS2 is going the same way as it’s predecessor? I think you and I know, that the PS2 is headed the same way as it’s counterpart. It’ll sell loads! Games will be pirated easy! Therefore, budding Long John Silver’s out there will be forking out £10 for games instead of paying £50. Thus ensuring the success of the PS2 ironically because of Piracy!

Now that’s sad!

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.