GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why WoW has ruined online gaming for me"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'World of Warcraft'.
Tue 29/03/05 at 22:34
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Because quite apart from the fact that every spod in the world is creating new topics about it...yep...it's spoiled other online games.
I used to enjoy CS, however bad I am at it. Same for other similar games.
But now they're just so incredibly boring. Yeah, I know you can have 10min blasts on them, but I couldn't even manage that tonight on Vietcong.

Here's why I dont want to play anything else online.
The people playing it are decent, good people. Even The Horde are quality people.
It's a co-operative based style of play, later quests demand teaming up with others and helping each other out. I've added quite a few people to my friends list because we've teamed for missions and had a real laugh with each other.
It encourages you to help others out. Dungeon/Elite quests team people of different abilities together, so a healer needs to be protected by a fighter and vice versa.
There have been instances where I've been fighting a creature/NPC and doing badly, getting my ass kicked good. And somebody running past has come over and joined in, rescued me and then waved before running off to continue whatever they were doing.
It's a game where you get annoyed if somebody doesn't help and just runs past, and it's that rare of an occurence.

Hell, even The Horde have been, on occassion, nice.
Like today, me & Cycloon come across a huge gang of them laying waste to a Castle, butchering players and generally running amok. 7 of them come charging over to us. We promptly sit on the floor and wave, presenting as little a threat as we could. And they let us be, they saw we were no threat and let us live. Ok, so Cyc got mashed but he ran away. I sat there enjoying the show, one came over and bashed me in the face with his sword, but that was to make a point - he didn't finish me completely, just let me know he could.

The people playing make the game for the most part.
Cue tonight, joining Vietcong.
Pick a side, start. Dead in 12 seconds. Wait. Respawn. Dead in under a minute. Respawn. All the time the chat is awash with "F@*% u noob!!!" "Stop screaming over the TS please" "hahaha noob u sukk".
Angry, red-faced uberleet teens who think shooting an avatar quicker than they can do you gives them some superiority in life.
The notion of deathmatch just bores me to tears now. A moment's play before you get shot and then just sit there waiting to repeat.
And hackers galore, especially on CS.
Whereas with WoW, I haven't noticed cheaters/hackers. Because the point of the game isn't to win, it's the experience.

And what an experience.
Even after 3 weeks of solid play, I'm still sitting slack-jawed at what it throws up.
Me & Cyc were hunting Corpse Somethings and were having problems finding them in large enough groups to kill 20. So we wander about and discover some catacoombs.
We head down to discover? An area the size of Stormwind, just quietly hidden underground. We could quite easily have missed this massive place, there are no signposts to tell you it's there. Huge throne rooms, massive (and I do mean MASSIVE) tomb chambers.
Just underground. God knows how many other places I've missed because I didn't explore.

And, to me, that beats shooting some hyperactive 15yr old in the face who gets pissy because you dare to laugh at him (NATO clan spring to mind).
Nope, in my opinion there's World of Warcraft and then there's everything else.
Tue 29/03/05 at 22:34
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Because quite apart from the fact that every spod in the world is creating new topics about it...yep...it's spoiled other online games.
I used to enjoy CS, however bad I am at it. Same for other similar games.
But now they're just so incredibly boring. Yeah, I know you can have 10min blasts on them, but I couldn't even manage that tonight on Vietcong.

Here's why I dont want to play anything else online.
The people playing it are decent, good people. Even The Horde are quality people.
It's a co-operative based style of play, later quests demand teaming up with others and helping each other out. I've added quite a few people to my friends list because we've teamed for missions and had a real laugh with each other.
It encourages you to help others out. Dungeon/Elite quests team people of different abilities together, so a healer needs to be protected by a fighter and vice versa.
There have been instances where I've been fighting a creature/NPC and doing badly, getting my ass kicked good. And somebody running past has come over and joined in, rescued me and then waved before running off to continue whatever they were doing.
It's a game where you get annoyed if somebody doesn't help and just runs past, and it's that rare of an occurence.

Hell, even The Horde have been, on occassion, nice.
Like today, me & Cycloon come across a huge gang of them laying waste to a Castle, butchering players and generally running amok. 7 of them come charging over to us. We promptly sit on the floor and wave, presenting as little a threat as we could. And they let us be, they saw we were no threat and let us live. Ok, so Cyc got mashed but he ran away. I sat there enjoying the show, one came over and bashed me in the face with his sword, but that was to make a point - he didn't finish me completely, just let me know he could.

The people playing make the game for the most part.
Cue tonight, joining Vietcong.
Pick a side, start. Dead in 12 seconds. Wait. Respawn. Dead in under a minute. Respawn. All the time the chat is awash with "F@*% u noob!!!" "Stop screaming over the TS please" "hahaha noob u sukk".
Angry, red-faced uberleet teens who think shooting an avatar quicker than they can do you gives them some superiority in life.
The notion of deathmatch just bores me to tears now. A moment's play before you get shot and then just sit there waiting to repeat.
And hackers galore, especially on CS.
Whereas with WoW, I haven't noticed cheaters/hackers. Because the point of the game isn't to win, it's the experience.

And what an experience.
Even after 3 weeks of solid play, I'm still sitting slack-jawed at what it throws up.
Me & Cyc were hunting Corpse Somethings and were having problems finding them in large enough groups to kill 20. So we wander about and discover some catacoombs.
We head down to discover? An area the size of Stormwind, just quietly hidden underground. We could quite easily have missed this massive place, there are no signposts to tell you it's there. Huge throne rooms, massive (and I do mean MASSIVE) tomb chambers.
Just underground. God knows how many other places I've missed because I didn't explore.

And, to me, that beats shooting some hyperactive 15yr old in the face who gets pissy because you dare to laugh at him (NATO clan spring to mind).
Nope, in my opinion there's World of Warcraft and then there's everything else.
Tue 29/03/05 at 22:41
Regular
"Selected"
I wish I had the time and/or money to play this
Tue 29/03/05 at 22:58
Regular
"The definitive tag"
WoW sounds excellent, especially compared to the only other games I play online (Counter Strike, Call of Duty, UT2K4). I'm a little fed up of being beaten really. I was rather good at CS for a while, then I hit a losing streak and haven't been able to shake it.

The only online PC game I have derived pleasure from recently is Joint Operations, and I only find it fun to play on one particular map.

Maybe WoW is the way for me to go.
Tue 29/03/05 at 23:23
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I'm a LIVE wh*re.

I love Splinter Cell, HALO, and especially Rainbow Six 3 online. I could stick to a MMROPROPG thingy. I love a good adventure game, but I never really got into The Legend of Mir. I played with er-no and FM on Mir for a while, and they owned people but I just sat there and chased chickens while they did all the work. Made me look good, mind.

WoW sounds great, but i'd get all stupid and eventually annoy the geeks on there. Plus, you can't use a Lightsabre - a fundemental flaw right there. haha
Wed 30/03/05 at 00:30
Regular
Another topic?
Wed 30/03/05 at 00:36
Regular
"\\"
*cries*

Shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up!

All of you...

*sniff*

[S] I want it :(
Wed 30/03/05 at 01:03
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Yep

I've only made one post and it had a dummy humping a bear.
I rest my case.
Wed 30/03/05 at 08:48
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Fired up Cs for a quicky last night. Within 5 minutes I thought "Nope, can't be bothered", hit f10, fired up WoW and gathered herbs and fished for a while. Oh, and got the ability to shapeshift into Phil Jupitus.

Wonderful.
Wed 30/03/05 at 11:08
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Game wrote:
> I'm a LIVE wh*re.
>
> I love Splinter Cell, HALO, and especially Rainbow Six 3 online. I
> could stick to a MMROPROPG thingy. I love a good adventure game, but
> I never really got into The Legend of Mir. I played with er-no and FM
> on Mir for a while, and they owned people but I just sat there and
> chased chickens while they did all the work. Made me look good,
> mind.
>
> WoW sounds great, but i'd get all stupid and eventually annoy the
> geeks on there. Plus, you can't use a Lightsabre - a fundemental flaw
> right there. haha

My Xbox isn't even set up anymore. I will set it up for CT, if I can stop playing WoW for so long....

And I ran away ONCE before and they didn't kill me. It's because I waked further in, and then I got chased out. I wouldn't run, I am MAN PRIEST!
Wed 30/03/05 at 11:11
Regular
"bing bang bong"
My favourite online game at the moment is still Enemy Territory, which is Counterstrike but done correctly. You do get whiners but they mainly only blue about the use of rocket launchers, which some players (incorrectly) consider to be an inbalanced weapon.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.