GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why WoW has ruined online gaming for me"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'World of Warcraft'.
Tue 29/03/05 at 22:34
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Because quite apart from the fact that every spod in the world is creating new topics about it...yep...it's spoiled other online games.
I used to enjoy CS, however bad I am at it. Same for other similar games.
But now they're just so incredibly boring. Yeah, I know you can have 10min blasts on them, but I couldn't even manage that tonight on Vietcong.

Here's why I dont want to play anything else online.
The people playing it are decent, good people. Even The Horde are quality people.
It's a co-operative based style of play, later quests demand teaming up with others and helping each other out. I've added quite a few people to my friends list because we've teamed for missions and had a real laugh with each other.
It encourages you to help others out. Dungeon/Elite quests team people of different abilities together, so a healer needs to be protected by a fighter and vice versa.
There have been instances where I've been fighting a creature/NPC and doing badly, getting my ass kicked good. And somebody running past has come over and joined in, rescued me and then waved before running off to continue whatever they were doing.
It's a game where you get annoyed if somebody doesn't help and just runs past, and it's that rare of an occurence.

Hell, even The Horde have been, on occassion, nice.
Like today, me & Cycloon come across a huge gang of them laying waste to a Castle, butchering players and generally running amok. 7 of them come charging over to us. We promptly sit on the floor and wave, presenting as little a threat as we could. And they let us be, they saw we were no threat and let us live. Ok, so Cyc got mashed but he ran away. I sat there enjoying the show, one came over and bashed me in the face with his sword, but that was to make a point - he didn't finish me completely, just let me know he could.

The people playing make the game for the most part.
Cue tonight, joining Vietcong.
Pick a side, start. Dead in 12 seconds. Wait. Respawn. Dead in under a minute. Respawn. All the time the chat is awash with "F@*% u noob!!!" "Stop screaming over the TS please" "hahaha noob u sukk".
Angry, red-faced uberleet teens who think shooting an avatar quicker than they can do you gives them some superiority in life.
The notion of deathmatch just bores me to tears now. A moment's play before you get shot and then just sit there waiting to repeat.
And hackers galore, especially on CS.
Whereas with WoW, I haven't noticed cheaters/hackers. Because the point of the game isn't to win, it's the experience.

And what an experience.
Even after 3 weeks of solid play, I'm still sitting slack-jawed at what it throws up.
Me & Cyc were hunting Corpse Somethings and were having problems finding them in large enough groups to kill 20. So we wander about and discover some catacoombs.
We head down to discover? An area the size of Stormwind, just quietly hidden underground. We could quite easily have missed this massive place, there are no signposts to tell you it's there. Huge throne rooms, massive (and I do mean MASSIVE) tomb chambers.
Just underground. God knows how many other places I've missed because I didn't explore.

And, to me, that beats shooting some hyperactive 15yr old in the face who gets pissy because you dare to laugh at him (NATO clan spring to mind).
Nope, in my opinion there's World of Warcraft and then there's everything else.
Fri 01/04/05 at 16:59
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Hacking WoW isn't that difficult these days, there are various tools available to instantly allow you to go to any place in the the world you want to visit as well as walk around in mid air, highly risky mind you.

EDIT: Ive also had the dreams, furthermore they sometimes interlace with other real life incidents, just a couple of days ago i was playing WoW in a dream and gathering minerals, however rather than the usual ores i would hover the mouse over the gold point on the mini map that tells you what mineral youve found and instead of "Iron deposit" i was seeing various proteins that make up a fair chunk of my dissertation.

Bizarre doesn't even begin to describe it.
Fri 01/04/05 at 15:39
"The Will of D."
My friend who has WoW told me ealier that during a huge dungeon quest to aquire some valuable items he was the leader and after awhile they completed te quest, then he allowed the others of his group to roll fairly for the highest number so that they are the ones that recieve the items, but one member of his group suddenly grabbed both items during the roll and teleport blinked away without any charge time, so there are some cheaters/hackers out there, so make sure you trust all of your group before you let them join you on a treasure hunt.
Thu 31/03/05 at 19:21
Regular
I actually haven't, and out of just about everyone I probably should be. At least the newish guys anyway.
Thu 31/03/05 at 18:19
"Uzi Lover"
*holds up hand*

I've also had the dreams.

*sits back down*

But I don't get to play it much, but I want to. And I look forward to it through the day. Thats why I think I'm dreaming.

Sadddddddddd
Thu 31/03/05 at 17:29
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I'm really starting to worry.

I don't play this game much (only lv 21 after 3 odd weeks) but every so often it keeps coming into my head. I don't want to think about it, then I need to play it... I NEED to.

I've already more than enough dreams about it, I keep thinking "STOP IT, THIS IS SAD"... I'm serious.
Thu 31/03/05 at 16:45
Regular
"A man with a stick"
satans little helper wrote:
> Yes the cove! I accidently ran off the Thandol Span Bridge, and i
> couldnt find a way back up, so i ended up swimming miles to find a
> dock. I was swimming along and i come across that big ship! Its
> amazing what you find if you take the time to look.

Yep, spent all week in the Highlands thinking I'd seen everytihng, then, purely by accident, I end up discovering an entriely new area with some pretty decent quests.
Thu 31/03/05 at 12:32
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I've never dreamed about it.

Because I was up all night playing it.
Thu 31/03/05 at 09:54
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Light wrote:
> You know what happened to me last night? I had a dream about playing
> WoW. A *&^(ing DREAM about a COMPUTER GAME!
>
> I hate you all.
>
> And yes, I will be buying it.

Same as me in the week running up till I received it. I'm almost embarrassed for myself..............
Thu 31/03/05 at 09:47
Regular
WS, I think you'll find it's UGC. Bloody great deal that.
Thu 31/03/05 at 09:45
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
You know what happened to me last night? I had a dream about playing WoW. A *&^(ing DREAM about a COMPUTER GAME!

I hate you all.

And yes, I will be buying it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.