GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 Problems"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/04/01 at 14:45
Regular
I'm thinking of getting a ps2 but can you tell me the sort of problems you have been encountering especially the problem i heard about playing dvds...

That's cos i'm trying to strike up a deal with my brother where he pays 100squid for it and i pay 200squid as he only wants it as a dvd player and i want it for the games. :D

PS NO BIASED OPINIONS FROM DREAMCAST OWNERS WHO HATE PS2 (btw i'm a dreamcast owner)..
Mon 09/04/01 at 14:45
Regular
"accidental superher"
I'm thinking of getting a ps2 but can you tell me the sort of problems you have been encountering especially the problem i heard about playing dvds...

That's cos i'm trying to strike up a deal with my brother where he pays 100squid for it and i pay 200squid as he only wants it as a dvd player and i want it for the games. :D

PS NO BIASED OPINIONS FROM DREAMCAST OWNERS WHO HATE PS2 (btw i'm a dreamcast owner)..
Mon 09/04/01 at 16:24
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
No real DVD problems at all.
Had to replace the machine after 8 weeks because it stopped working, but got replaced within 2 days by SCEE.

I'd recommend one, especially as there are decent titles available now.
Mon 09/04/01 at 16:42
No problems here either. With games or DVD's.
I heard some of the earlier models had problems loading the MGS2 demo, so buy one new!
Mine has run perfectly since I got it!(early January)
Mon 09/04/01 at 17:28
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Beanz, I have not had one problem with my PS2 and hope to never have one *touch wood*

The games play like a dream and the DVD player works a treat. I have heard many people who have been complaining about the DVD films going green but as you are only buying the PS2 for the games, that won’t be too much of a problem.

The games work fine and haven’t heard many people complain about them. I really hope the PS2 works fine for you and the films work for your brother.

Good luck.

-M16-
Mon 09/04/01 at 17:47
Regular
"Melliflous Wanderer"
Buy one now, there grrrreat. As Tony would say.

I have had no problems what so ever in any department.

And as Goatboy says just have a look at the games that are coming out.

Mon 09/04/01 at 20:48
"High polygon count"
No problems at all, with a launch day machine - not even the MGS2 demo.

If it's what you want, then get one. And welcome to the club!
Mon 09/04/01 at 21:32
Regular
"Whatever!"
Had mine since launch day and only encountered tiny problems. One of which was when I was watching a DVD film I couldnt get rid of the subtitles - but that could be fault of the disc not the machine, Im not sure!!
The other was with my MGS2 demo, took ages to load the first time I put it in, about 20 mins but it has been fine ever since.
Thats about it, not that they were even worth mentioning...
Mon 09/04/01 at 21:53
Regular
"accidental superher"
Thanx for all the feedback...
so why does it sometimes go green when watching dvds???
i need to convince my brother that he will be able to watch the dvds pretty much 100% of the time without any problems...

I always wanted a PS2....but the only reason i didn't get one at launch was because it was 300 squid and seeing as i'm only 17 i didn't have that sort of cash then and also cos there was that stock problem. That's why i got a dreamcast instead which is really good :D (and i don't care what you anti dc people say cos all that really matters is that i like it...).

Here's the second major question (and i know there will be loadsa really biased and stupid answers)....why should i get a ps 2 instead of an xbox??

I might wait for a while for the x box to come out to see how it does and then get one...can you try and persuade me to get a ps2 first?? the machine looks quite powerful, i don't really care about the looks of it, there are some quite good titles going onto the machine such as halo...
also in the magazine "computer and video games" they were comparing the two machines and they said that the graphics of the ps2 would probably never surpass MGS2, is this true??

there's the challenge....keep the replies coming i'll be very happy to read them (even the long ones from M16 :P).
Mon 09/04/01 at 22:10
Regular
"Whatever!"
I read a report recently that the developer of MGS (I cant remember his name!!) stated that there are hardly any differences in the X Box and PS2. The only noticable difference was in terms of the graphics, which are marginally better on X Box thanks to the system creating more rather than relying on software.
There is no denying that the X Box is one fine piece of kit but when it is finally released over here the PS2 will have a huge headstart and on to its second generation titles by the time its out.
The only thing that bothers me about Microsoft is the fact they will pay whatever it takes to make sure they get the big name titles, look at Oddworld Munchs Odysee. Dead or Alive 3 will now be an X Box exlusive and it looks likely that Star Wars: Obi Wan will join it.
I may very well end up getting an X Box but will wait and see wait it can really do. At the moment Im quite happy with my PS2 and have a list of over 100 games I want within the next year or so!!
Mon 09/04/01 at 22:41
Regular
I've got a launch machine, which still works perfectly (inc MGS2 demo).

A psx2 is a good buy, you would have the opportunity of playing a huge catalogue of psx1, psx2 and DC games (keep the DC too).
Oh, and you can watch dvds. The small size makes it a very good portable dvd player, and the picture quality is very good, as is the sound reproduction.

Go on buy one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.