GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Netgear reviews and AdHoc Network"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/03/04 at 20:59
Regular
"Nobody Home"
I am getting broadband (finally) soon, and am going to set-up an AdHoc Network using the following components:

PCMIA for Laptop:
www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2VsZWN 0X3Byb2R1Y3Rfb3ZlcnZpZXc=&product_uid=50840

PCI for this PC:
www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2VsZWN 0X3Byb2R1Y3Rfb3ZlcnZpZXc=&product_uid=43353

Basically, I just wish to know whether Netgear parts above are alright to use on an AdHoc Network and what peoples general view on Netgear are.

My PC is upstairs and Laptop is almost directly under it downstairs, say a max of 3-5 metres away at any time... will this work fine as AdHoc? There wont be any need for file-transferring, so speed aint an issue factor, as long as it is fast enough for broadband sharing.
Wed 24/03/04 at 20:59
Regular
"Nobody Home"
I am getting broadband (finally) soon, and am going to set-up an AdHoc Network using the following components:

PCMIA for Laptop:
www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2VsZWN 0X3Byb2R1Y3Rfb3ZlcnZpZXc=&product_uid=50840

PCI for this PC:
www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2VsZWN 0X3Byb2R1Y3Rfb3ZlcnZpZXc=&product_uid=43353

Basically, I just wish to know whether Netgear parts above are alright to use on an AdHoc Network and what peoples general view on Netgear are.

My PC is upstairs and Laptop is almost directly under it downstairs, say a max of 3-5 metres away at any time... will this work fine as AdHoc? There wont be any need for file-transferring, so speed aint an issue factor, as long as it is fast enough for broadband sharing.
Wed 24/03/04 at 22:11
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
All my wireless network is run on Netgear stuff and I'm very impressed with it.

I had an ad-hoc network running with a pair of Netgear USB dongles which worked very well. I upgraded to an access point later though, because I wanted to have a part wired, part wireless network and the Windows 'network bridging' feature, which makes both the wireless and wired networks work together, was a bit patchy and caused a few problems. In the end getting an access point avoiding the need for any Windows intervention.

If you just plan on being totally wireless then you shouldn't have any problems, and speed for broadband should be fine.
Wed 24/03/04 at 22:32
Regular
"Nobody Home"
thanks. Are USB Dongles cheaper? What's the range? Can you share Broadband over them?

If not, I'll go with the Netgear bits thanks to your oppinion, cheers.
Wed 24/03/04 at 22:39
Regular
"Nobody Home"
scrap that, I found the answers.

I'll go with PCI and PCMIA, only £10 more and more reliable.
Thu 25/03/04 at 21:54
Regular
Ive been using network hubs on two networks ive setup for people and they have both been extremely reliable, haven't had any probs with there stuff.
Fri 26/03/04 at 07:55
Regular
"Nobody Home"
cool, thanks... £10 more than D-Link, but D-Link reviews seem to suggest that they make the PC Reboot cos of incompatible drivers, whereas the ones from Netgear are XP Compatible from the off.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.