GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mobility"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/04/01 at 21:20
Regular
Now that most consoles companies are able to compete in both the price and quality aspects of their markets I think one factor that will play and important role in the future of the console market will be mobility. With the fairly recent release of the PSone and the imminent release of the gameboy advance I think we will see that mobility will play an incresingly important role. If you think about it, what has kept the gamboy going for so long (it must have been out for 8 or 9 years) it is the fact that you can play it anywhere and still get a reasonable amount of enjoyment. A similar pattern can be seen with games such as snake on mobile phones. Although there is not much to it and it is pretty monotomous it is remarkable the amount of people who play on it for lack of anything better to do. If developers can offer fairly high performance consoles like the psone at a reasonable and acceptable price (who is willing to spend £90 on a PSone screen) then I believe this could become an important factor as people who are on the move look for something interesting to do.
Mon 09/04/01 at 13:28
Regular
its one of the problems with webbed feet
Sun 08/04/01 at 22:35
Regular
I prefer logic to snake, but that's mostly cos the buttons on my 8210 are too small...
or my fingers are too fat.

Anyway, as well as snake always being there wherever you have your mobile, one big part of its beauty is that you can pick it up and have a short but entertaining game without having to give up half an hour to get anything done or pickup on the plot and objectives. The number of times I've found myself picking up my phone above body harvest or perfect dark...
Simple, non-time consuming gaming is what made the likes of tetris great, and I tell you, if I could find the New Tetris somewhere, at a decent price, I'd hand over my money faster than a lonely middle aged business man at a Britney Spears peep show.
Sun 08/04/01 at 21:54
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Yes, you make some good points.

However, when you say about snakes being very popular on the mobile, that’s just because there is nothing better to do on the train (or wherever) so you just find yourself playing snakes. Mobility is good for when you are on the move, which is why gameboy is the best liked by people.

I think that hand held computers are all ways going to be loved by people because of the ability to be played anywhere and everywhere! The Game Boy Advance will be loved by millions, not just because it’s a hand held, but because it has wonderful graphics!

We can now say goodbye to the Gameboy, many off us with a tear in our eye, and welcome the new hand held on the block. Game Boy Advance will have the same BIT as the PSX and anyone who has seen the screen that it has to offer will know how good the graphics are.

With handhelds it’s not just about how good the graphics are though, it is about how addictive the game is. Take snakes for example, very basic graphics but it is still loved across the world. I think that it has the ability to be suitable for all ages, and also loved by all ages.

At the end of the day, you get home and it’s the main computer that you would want to play on. You don’t want to be stuck on the gameboy when you have a Playstation2, Dreamcast or a PC waiting to be played on do you?

Hopefully we will be able to see hand helds that will compete with the likes of PS2. The big thing holding back the handheld computers is the LCD. It is a little on the small side, and when a screen is small, you can’t really get an atmosphere.

Also, the sound quality isn’t as good as on a Television. Of course it has improved over the years, but I still think there is lots of room for improvement.

The other thing that is looking good for Game Boy Advance is the ability to hook up with the 128 Gamecube should be very good! So there we have it people, the computer that fits into your hands and you can take it wherever you want. I warn you though, soon as you pick one up, you won’t want to put it back down!

LONG LIVE HAND HELD COMPUTERS!

Thanks for reading,
-M16-
Sun 08/04/01 at 21:51
"Uzi Lover"
*Dreams of playing on GBA*

AHHHHHH I won't throw up on you ol' pal!
Sun 08/04/01 at 21:47
i never feel sick wen playing my gbc in the car.
Sun 08/04/01 at 21:34
Regular
You cant help it as the car moves, sorry, I have no problem though.
Sun 08/04/01 at 21:33
"Uzi Lover"
They also make you feel sick!

Maybe they could put a thing that stops you being sick on it :->

Or maybe.....even a sickbag?
Sun 08/04/01 at 21:28
Regular
Look at the GC size

I really think though the Gameboy should be the only portable. I go on holiday to get out if i want to play on the computer i'll stay at home.

The Gameboy is good for car rides, They make them go so much quicker.
Sun 08/04/01 at 21:20
Regular
Now that most consoles companies are able to compete in both the price and quality aspects of their markets I think one factor that will play and important role in the future of the console market will be mobility. With the fairly recent release of the PSone and the imminent release of the gameboy advance I think we will see that mobility will play an incresingly important role. If you think about it, what has kept the gamboy going for so long (it must have been out for 8 or 9 years) it is the fact that you can play it anywhere and still get a reasonable amount of enjoyment. A similar pattern can be seen with games such as snake on mobile phones. Although there is not much to it and it is pretty monotomous it is remarkable the amount of people who play on it for lack of anything better to do. If developers can offer fairly high performance consoles like the psone at a reasonable and acceptable price (who is willing to spend £90 on a PSone screen) then I believe this could become an important factor as people who are on the move look for something interesting to do.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.