GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The day I completely lost faith in gamers (a rant)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 31/03/05 at 12:24
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I think pretty much everyone who has played it will agree that Resident Evil 4 is an absolutely top-notch video game.
Having played it through to the end, I believe it to be a game a few echelons higher than any other recently released game. So, I ask you, what in holy damnation is it doing languishing, yes languishing, at position 19 in the official Elspa all formats charts after only two weeks? It’s even below Simpsons Hit & Run, which has been in the charts for 74 weeks FFS.
There have been quite a few big games released in the last few weeks, Gran Tursimo 4, Metal Gear Solid 3 and Timesplitters 3 to name but a few, which could have had an effect on what people bought, but still, 19th place after two weeks. Damn that sucks. And it annoys me a fair bit too, especially as FIFA Street is currently residing at the summit.
Resi 4 is still top of the Cube charts, but I'd still like to see it doing better in the all formats, with less people buying FIFA Street and more people picking up RE4 or, if they don't have a Cube, a cheap Cube and a copy of RE4 (it really is a game so good it's worth buying a Cube just to play it).

It’s understandable you may think, after all, the Gamecube isn’t hugely popular with the masses is it, so a GC exclusive game couldn’t be around that long near the top? Possibly true.
Maybe everyone who wanted it went out and got it on the day of release meaning high sales in the first week (getting it to 5th) but not much else afterwards? Again possibly true.
Playing import games is very easy for the Cube thanks to the Freeloader, so sales figures were affected by gamers getting the earlier US version instead. True.
Perhaps those people not very clued up about games, but who have the biggest effect on the industry now, the FIFA Street buying Cro-Magnons, aren’t interested or know little about RE4 because they’d prefer to buy FIFA Street rather than a Gamecube game? True.

At the end of the day, I don’t care about any stupid reasons though, the fact is the RE4 deserves to be outselling every other game at the moment yet it isn’t. RESIDENT EVIL 4 IS THE BEST GAME MADE IN THIS GENERATION OF CONSOLES, AND WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE BUY? FIFA FRICKIN’ STREET *slow clap*.

I guess this whole idea about quality being ignored isn’t exactly new in the games industry though is it? Take the likes of Ico, Beyond Good and Evil and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time as recent examples. Ico is an enigmatic game of almost mythical status, yet because it didn’t sell too well it pretty much disappeared off the radar, making it difficult or expensive to get a hold of a copy now. Beyond Good and Evil is an excellent game which just didn’t get the sales figures it deserved. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time was one of the greatest games I had ever played, a game of such sublime design that it deserved to do well. Needless to say that because it was released around Christmas time, it was mostly ignored in favour of the usual high selling Christmas turkeys. The sequel was re-jigged quite a bit in some vain way of appealing more to the masses, and in the end made quite a few people disappointed that the developers chose to go down that road.

I’m a believer that in this world, things should always get what they deserve; amazing works of art should win prizes and recognition rather than a soiled bed, real life people who toil away for their whole life should get the OBEs, MBEs etc, instead of a load of athletes who have to just run around an athletics track, and good video games should stay at the top of the charts for a good few weeks. They should sell well and be enjoyed by all those who follow the games industry.

I’ve been enjoying games since the Spectrum era, and have been buying games regularly since then, but this whole episode really does highlight to me where this industry is going, or at least could be going; down the toilet.
When an awesome game like RE4 is left to rot at 19th place after only two weeks whilst FIFA Street can rule at the top you know that something must be wrong in this industry, and if there was any justice, which by now I know there isn’t, then those positions would be reversed and thousands upon thousands of gamers would be enjoying a top quality game rather than a casual gamer sh*t-fest.

I guess at the end of the day this sordid episode really highlights what’s wrong with the industry at the moment: mongoloid casual gamers.
You know, whenever I’m in town at the weekends and happen to wander into the main game shop on my high street, you know who’s frequenting that shop 99% of the time? Nope, it’s not the pale nerds that would have done a few years ago, the type of people that, love them or loathe them, know what a good video game is all about, nope, it’s idiots. Yep, true idiots; snot-nosed brats wanting the latest Disney film cash-in game, dumb parents buying little Timmy his copy of the latest Grand Theft Auto clone or some Burberry clad shaved ape casually browsing and buying the latest crap for the PS2. They now run this industry, they have the biggest effect on the charts, and it scares me.
It’s ironic though isn’t it, for years gamers wanted mass-market recognition yet now we have it, it’s had an adverse effect on the industry in terms of what is popular and what doesn’t sell.
When all is said and done, when companies like Capcom eventually go out of business or just stop releasing games in the UK because of the rise of casual gamers and their penchant for the same old crap, and the only games you can get hold of in a few years time are EA ones like FIFA or Need for Speed, I hope you people who choose FIFA Street over RE4 look around and feel partly responsible for completely ruining the games industry.

So please, if you haven’t done so already, go out and buy a copy of Resident Evil 4. “But I neither have nor want a Gamecube”, tough, Gamecubes are dirt cheap now so go and pick one up immediately, take back that copy of FIFA Street and exchange it for RE4 and enjoy an amazing game which deserves so much more respect than a pitiful 19th place in our charts.
Wed 29/06/05 at 19:51
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
Bejam, nobody or nothing is perfect.

Things like what you're complaining about JUST HAPPEN!!!!!!
Mon 30/05/05 at 08:13
Regular
"8==="
Except we have Majesco, THQ, LucasArts and Midway purchasing the rights to publish original games by independent developers.

Also some of these are prepared to take risks with their established licences, just look at Midway's next incarnation of Rush and THQ's odd decision to transfer the WrestleMania name to Xbox for a game by an untested developer making their first wrestling game (that backfired if you ask me - but there's the risk).

Majesco have brought the US Phantom Dust (and we're geting it from some publisher soon), they're able to take these risks because only 50% of their business revolves around games.
Sun 29/05/05 at 23:47
The thing is, small niggles and past experiences of "unique" titles instantly put people off games of the sort in the future. With established brands, they can, at the very least, be safe in the knowledge that it's good enough for a while.

If you have a look at the current EA portfolio, none of them are crap games. Average, but averagely competent with a couple of innovations. That, combined with the tried and tested mentality, is more than enough to get the mass buying the game, even if it is just updated rosters.

There's also the issue of time. Games like RE4 need time to get into. All great games do - OoT, one of the best ever made, is a testament to that.

In an ideal world, in the near future the console handhelds should fulfil that category; the current PSP line up of games are all suited to that instant, pickup and play mentality. Little or no learning required.

But because projects of a grand and complex scale are so costly to make and hard to make on time, it's probable we'll see even MORE similarly structured games next generation, as devcos reuse most of their IP to save money, whilst unique games will be undertaken on a far smaller scale and with simple ideas, compared to the "run of the mill" ones.
Sun 29/05/05 at 15:40
Regular
"lol"
Hedfix wrote:
> EA shares drop by nearly 20%.
>
> Faith restored. ;)

because of constant remakes of Fifa, almost every Fifa game is identical and not much better than the last.
Sat 28/05/05 at 10:44
Regular
"Pwned. =)"
I know what you mean, fifa street is just a boring repetative game of football, why not just go and play football outside, or watch it? It makes no sense to me o.O Anyhoo, I have RE4 and it owns, go out and buy it..
Wed 11/05/05 at 22:18
Regular
"8==="
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Bejam wrote:
> I hope you people who choose FIFA Street over RE4 look around and
> feel partly responsible for completely ruining the games industry.
>
> I remember you going off on one when Enter the Matrix came out, and
> you claimed I was responsible for the death of the industry because I
> bought and liked it. Ever consider that the low figures are because
> hardly anyone owns a GameCube anymore? And because lots of people
> like football? And because, believe it or not, FIFA Street is
> probably actually a pretty good little footy game?

Yuo had me up until the last point.

Fifa Street has been universally panned.
Wed 11/05/05 at 21:56
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Bejam wrote:
> I hope you people who choose FIFA Street over RE4 look around and feel partly responsible for completely ruining the games industry.

I remember you going off on one when Enter the Matrix came out, and you claimed I was responsible for the death of the industry because I bought and liked it. Ever consider that the low figures are because hardly anyone owns a GameCube anymore? And because lots of people like football? And because, believe it or not, FIFA Street is probably actually a pretty good little footy game?
Tue 19/04/05 at 20:53
Regular
"8==="
Yep, and they're not even makreting the fact it's sold out properly either.
Tue 19/04/05 at 19:43
"period drama"
Stupid, really really muchly so.
One of the best games, like, ever - and the whole of the UK and America is seemingly sold out.

duh
Tue 19/04/05 at 02:32
Regular
"8==="
Nintendo always under-estimate the power of quality adult titles.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.